PDA

View Full Version : Interchangable?

Enteeam
30-08-2010, 1:49pm
I have a 400D and the standard twin lens kit (75-300 and 18-55)

If I was to upgrade to say a 50D, would these lens fit?

Probably just a dumass question.

mikec
30-08-2010, 2:24pm
All the Canon EOS bodies from 1000D up to the 7D will take either EF-S or EF lenses. The 5D and 1D are the only bodies that take EF only. There will be some text indicating what mount the lens is on the barrel somewhere, most of the time near the focal length.

Enteeam
30-08-2010, 5:03pm
Thanks for the info. The 18-55 is EFS and the 75-300 is EF.

That sounds like a "yes" to me.

It now also makes my decision whether to go ahead with the purchase of the 50D much easier.

Thanks again for your help.

twister
31-08-2010, 4:38pm
Here's an indication for lens fitting as well...

Have a look at the camera's lens mount....and here's how to distinguish:

If the mount has a round red dot at the 12-o-clock position only, it will only take EF lenses...like this example:

If the mount has a round red dot at the 12-o-clock position and a squarish white dot at roughly the 1-o-clock position, it will take both EF and EF-S lenses...like this example:
http://images.digitalcamerainfo.com/images/upload/reviews/Canon/XS/photos/Canon-XS-lens-mount-375.jpg

Essentially, all the bodies with APS-C (1000D all the way up to the 7D) sensors will take both EF-S and EF, while full-frame and APS-H bodies (5D series, 1D series as mikec pointed out) will take EF only...

As for the lenses, it's the same...if the lens has a white dot along its rim close to the mount, it's an EF-S lens, and if the lens has a red dot on the rim close to the mount, it's an EF lens...Another way of distinguishing is the lens mount flange itself...EF-S lenses have a rubber/plastic ring on the mount to prevent them them from being mounted on

Mile
05-09-2010, 7:53pm
sorry to hijack but will the canon 550d take the lenses from the kit from the 400 or 450d? from what it looks and sounds like it can but just double checking.:)

Xenedis
05-09-2010, 8:05pm
Canon EF lenses will work on any Canon EOS camera, be it film or digital.

Canon EF-S lenses will work on all of the APS-C digital SLRs, except the very old D30 and D60 (not to be confused with the Nikon camera of the same name -- Canon's early non-pro-grade DSLRs had the D in front of the number).

Xenedis
05-09-2010, 8:08pm
sorry to hijack but will the canon 550d take the lenses from the kit from the 400 or 450d? from what it looks and sounds like it can but just double checking.:)

Indeed it can; see my previous post for a summary of compatibility.

To put it even more concisely re Canon DSLRs:

The Canon EOS D30, D60, any 5D model and any 1D model only takes EF lenses.
Everything else takes both EF lenses and EF-S lenses.

Mile
06-09-2010, 9:14am
Indeed it can; see my previous post for a summary of compatibility.

To put it even more concisely re Canon DSLRs:

The Canon EOS D30, D60, any 5D model and any 1D model only takes EF lenses.
Everything else takes both EF lenses and EF-S lenses.

thats great, thanks for that.:)