PDA

View Full Version : Need help down loading new firmware

mish13
29-08-2010, 6:34pm
I just noticed that my Sony A700 is running Ver.3 and there is a Ver.4

I found this web sight http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=DSLRA700&upd_id=3757&os_id=7

But for the life of me I cant work out what to do, I keep downloading the firmware but then I cant find it on the computer.

Has anyone done this before that may be able to give me some help.

ricktas
29-08-2010, 6:39pm
Where do your other downloads go? It depends how you have set your computer up as to the location of this file. I have a 'downloads' directory in my documents and using firefox, all my downloads are automatically saved in that directory.

You could also use the search facility on your PC to search for the file "DSCA700v04.exe"

mish13
29-08-2010, 6:47pm
I did that and found it in my documents/ downloads/ when I click on it nothing happens. It just says do you want to down load it so I say yes and nothing happens.

ricktas
29-08-2010, 6:50pm
When I double click it, it uncompressed (the exe is some sort of zipped file) and I end up with another file called DSCA700.APP

I am guessing that is the one needed for the firmware upgrade. I can't really test it cause I dont have a Sony A700

nivekeel
31-08-2010, 8:09am
The firmware has been out there for almost two years~
Double click on the *.exe file and it will extract the file,
then copy the file onto your CF card and insert the CF into your A700.
After that, just follow the instructions provided on the URL you have posted~
Good luck~

mish13
31-08-2010, 6:50pm
The firmware has been out there for almost two years~
Double click on the *.exe file and it will extract the file,
then copy the file onto your CF card and insert the CF into your A700.
After that, just follow the instructions provided on the URL you have posted~
Good luck~

I was not aware that I had to do updates to my camera, so didnt know I was running an old version.
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply , but I am sorry to say everything you have written is double dutch to me.
Can you put it to me in a more basic format?

ricktas
31-08-2010, 6:55pm
If you don't know what you are doing, I would recommend not proceeding and seeing if a member of AP in your area is willing to assist. Failing to follow the instructions on how to perform a firmware upgrade properly, can render your camera useless.

mish13
31-08-2010, 7:02pm
If you don't know what you are doing, I would recommend not proceeding and seeing if a member of AP in your area is willing to assist. Failing to follow the instructions on how to perform a firmware upgrade properly, can render your camera useless.

Thank you for the warning, I am on the Gold Coast so not sure if anyone is in my area.

ricktas
31-08-2010, 7:14pm
Thank you for the warning, I am on the Gold Coast so not sure if anyone is in my area.

Maybe start a new thread "Can someone near the Gold Coast assist me with a firmware upgrade". You never know on AP

mish13
31-08-2010, 7:24pm
Ok thanks I will give it a try