PDA

View Full Version : Tombstone

StanW
29-08-2010, 10:14am
I wasl walking through a small cemetery here, when I came upon this. It's by far the best work I've seen in a long time. Now I want to trace its history.

Waz
13-10-2010, 11:22pm
amazing what some people can do

StanW
14-10-2010, 7:18am
Thanks, Waz. I've visited a lot of cemeteries in NZ, but the art work is generally conventional. This one is more akin to what can be seen overseas.

Tikira
14-10-2010, 9:47am
Stan, this is a lovely headstone. We are family historians and spend a lot of time in cemeteries. Looking at past-times is one of our favourite passtimes.
Be careful of viruses in the cemetery though, you may develop a very serious affliction called "Genealogy addiction". There is no known cure to this disease :eek:

Di

StanW
14-10-2010, 11:32am
Thanks for your reply. I'd almost given up hope of anyone noticing these two photos. I've got two books whic h would interest you, but I seem to have loanded them out. Now comes the task of fiding them Best wishes in your researches.

PH005
14-10-2010, 11:45am
Lovely indeed Stan. I have some nice pics of an old Chiness gold miners cemetry that I took many years back near Queenstown NZ. When you drive up the road to Coronet Peak there is a turnoff somewhere and it takes you into a magnificent piece of isolated country. One day I must get the pictures transferred to digital.
Nice work again. :th3:

StanW
14-10-2010, 11:52am
Found them on the shelgf Tikira.

"Highgate Cemetery" photographer by John Gay. It's unlikely ever to be reprinted, so they told me wife a few years ago.
Saving Graces; Images of Women in European Cemeteries", photographed by David Robinson.

StanW
14-10-2010, 11:56am
Lovely indeed Stan. I have some nice pics of an old Chiness gold miners cemetry that I took many years back near Queenstown NZ. When you drive up the road to Coronet Peak there is a turnoff somewhere and it takes you into a magnificent piece of isolated country. One day I must get the pictures transferred to digital.
Nice work again. :th3:

Thanks, PH005. I know that site, Skippers, quite well, having made several visits. There are Chinese graves scattered throughout Otago, but the greater number of them were exhumed and retuirned to China. Unfortunately, the ship was wrecked off the N. Island coast. I'll keep an eye open on my next visits for you.