PDA

View Full Version : Portable Strobing Gear - A few Qs.

Xebadir
28-08-2010, 1:11pm
Looking at getting more into this front,
Have on ordered an SB900 and a YN560 for slave work after spending some time with more primitive gear and experimenting with hire items. (And when the new nikon flash comes out provided its the SB600 replacement I will probably pick it up for a second on camera flash)

However, I am looking at versatility and portability when it comes to my lighting gear...I am not exactly a fan of studio only style shooting (but at the same time want to use it for that purpose as well) but also want the flexibility to do set portraits with natural light and fill from portable gear, or be able to deal with portrait stuff at weddings if the conditions are less than ideal. I already have a reflector but feel that having another option would be positive.

I was thinking about the Manfrotto Nano 005B which I have hired in the past from Ben's, and found to be really nice and light and convient, and matching it up with the umbrella head and maybe a westcott 2 in 1 type umbrella. Ive also had recommended to me Lumiquest softboxes, so considering one of those as an alternate option which I could whack on a stand for nice soft light particularly in studio.

Coming to the question does anyone have any suggestions for other portable light stand options that arent going to break my back? Or suggestions on other gear that might be useful for portable work?

JM Tran
28-08-2010, 1:25pm
www.##############.com.au

Leo and his business has been my fave for affordable strobist gear, since its aimed at that in Australia for a while now

all my light stands for studio or strobist stuff comes from there, and backdrops etc

virgal_tracy
30-08-2010, 11:24am
I have used Dragon Image (http://www.###########.com.au/) and find the staff helpful and knowledgeable (but that is the NSW store and we all know mexicans are more difficult to deal with).
I have umbrellas and an umbrella softbox which has been wonderful for on location flash modifying.

Colourised
31-08-2010, 3:07am
well i dont have any other suggestions because i myself am using the manfrotto nano and it is perfect for travelling! especially if youre looking for a very light setup. extends pretty high and build quality is of manfrotto's reputation.

i have heard of some light stands screws and joints getting loose after a short while so i didnt want the hassle of spending on a generic one and decided to get it right the first time instead!

the nano001b gets my vote of course :D

Geoff
09-09-2010, 11:00pm
Bit late to the thread - sorry.

Have been using a Manfrotto Nano for two years for on location work - it's been a great purchase for me.

The main downside is it's a bit small IMO for working with models of any stature - but just about right for regular folk!

It's so light I can hold it higher myself in a pinch - just. Normally I just ask someone to help out - it's light enough that anyone can hold it...which is good as it will pick up in the slightest breeze if left alone and not pinned down.

I use a 50" collapsible shoot through from Image Melbourne - I think I'm also using their metal umbrella bracket. Good performers as well. The size of that umbrella is impressive deployed, but it gives lovely soft results in close.

I also buy a few other bit's necessary to hook my 430EX up to a Skyport from digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au.

I've used the above combo to take some photos at a wedding - just set up quickly - grabbed the shots, collapsed it down and strapped it on my camera bag. Like you said - nice to have it there if you need it - not something I'd over do.

Really just confirming what others have already said but it really is a handy piece of kit!