PDA

View Full Version : Softbox, stand and bracket

Kym
28-08-2010, 12:07pm
Just ordered this http://protog.com.au/portable-flash-soft-box-diffuser-50x50cm-28m-stand-p-162.html

I already have a flash and wireless.

Should be fun.

Once I do a bit more portrait work I may get this as well.
http://protog.com.au/protog-studio-lighting-kit-studio-flash-umbrella-softbox-p-167.html

Any thoughts? Alternates?

Thanks!

Xenedis
28-08-2010, 12:15pm
It looks quite decent.

Using off-camera lighting will open up so many more possibilities, not just for human subjects, but for still-life as well.

A softbox provides a large source of nicely diffused light which is great for portrait work.

coolie21
28-08-2010, 3:26pm
Shame that 120cm octobox only comes in a studio mount...

Xenedis
28-08-2010, 3:29pm
An octobox of that size would be too top-heavy for a compact light stand.

MarkChap
28-08-2010, 5:53pm
Thinking about the 90cm for my old Metz 45 CT1

bigdazzler
28-08-2010, 11:47pm
Kym those little pop up softboxes are ok for head and shoulders portraits (Ive got two of them and was using them just this afternoon in the studio) ..... but ..... not much good for anything else, like 3/4 torso or full body shots .. way too directional, and you get a heap of fall off. A nice big silver reflective brolly would be a useful addition to your kit, for when these things are just too small.

Xenedis
28-08-2010, 11:53pm
Yep, Darren is right.

I have a small softbox which works well for small objects or faces, but a large softbox will give much more light and will wrap around the subject more.

The recent portraits of Lalita I posted were shot with two large softboxes (about a square metre).

An umbrella will definitely be a useful addition. I'd recommend both a shoot-through (translucent) umbrella as well as a reflective umbrella.

A shoot-through umbrella will produce light similar to what a softbox does, but because it's open and not contained like a softbox, the light will be weaker due to the fact that much reflected light goes 180 degrees away from your subject.

bigdazzler
29-08-2010, 5:48am
Yip ... Agree with johnno

Enclosed modifiers are much more directional, and efficient, and are much more easily controlled, and with less spill.

I find that reflective umbrellas give a nice wrap of light, while still being nice and soft. Obviously being open, these are less efficient with much more spill, and it's harder to control exactly where your lights hitting.

Softboxes are suited to work where you want to control light and shadow, and control contrast and ratio, whereas reflective umbrellas suit broader, less contrasty light.

Eg. I often shoot family portraits ( mum,dad and kiddies) on a couch with 2 speedlights and 2 silver reflective umbrellas. It's quick and it works. Easy peasy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kym
29-08-2010, 9:20am
Thanks everyone.

I'll play with the softbox for a bit.
Next maybe the brollies and two more remote flashes.