PDA

View Full Version : Flashmeters

brandphoto
28-08-2010, 11:41am
I am looking at stepping up to a light meter. I'm thinking of the sekonic L358.

Firstly, anyone got an opinion? It will be for twin strobist setups, with brolly and softbox modifiers, home studio and location shooting.

Also, if i use cactus V4 triggers can i just get readings by taking a shot with a wireless camera remote with the meter at the subject? Or do i need a sync cable to fire the flash with the meter?

Cheers,

Brandz

bigdazzler
28-08-2010, 11:58pm
honestly mate .. if youre using only two lights you dont really need a meter. Its very easy to chimp two lights using your LCD and histogram. The money would be better spent elsewhere IMO. I only ever use my meter if Im using multiple lights and ratios.

If you do go down the handheld meter road. Hold the meter at the model/subjects chin, then use the test button on top of the V4 transmitter to fire the flashes and get your reading. No need for sync cords.

brandphoto
29-08-2010, 6:56am
Ah, thanks Darren.

Never thought of handholding the V4 trigger to fire.

I have been let down by chimping, i think more to do with not placing the lights well rather than actual power/exposure though. Guess a meter wouldn't help in that case anyway.

More practice is definitely required.

Thanks again,

Brandz

Brian500au
29-08-2010, 11:04am
Kinda disgree with Darren a bit here. I think a meter helps you understand your lighting a little more (kinda like backing up the theory). I use the L358 to set up my canon strobes, but I do admit to also chimp a bit rather than taking a reading every time.

I always start with a meter reading as a base, and then chimp as I change things around. When I introduce a new light or significantly change things around I take a new base reading.

Just my 2c worth.

TOM
29-08-2010, 11:42am
everyone 'tog should have a light meter (just my opinion), and the L358 is a good one. FWIW, if you don't have to have a new one, the Minolta IVf is about as good as you can get, and you may get one for around the same price as a new L358.

bigdazzler
29-08-2010, 11:47am
Fair points made by Brian and TOM above.

If it's in the budget, by all means, grab it. You will use it once you have it. I guess I was just saying that they are not an absolute necessity, particularly with simple lighting setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOM
29-08-2010, 12:03pm
True Dazza, if you had to make a choice between a light meter and some better glass, then tip the money into the glass. I guess a lightmeter is handy, but by no means essential with digital photography, just nice to have.

brandphoto
29-08-2010, 6:19pm
Thanks guys,

Good to see a few different opinions. Glass is no issue, so i'll direct my money towards a meter.

Brandz