PDA

View Full Version : Jewellery launch

mcmahong
24-08-2010, 8:42pm
Hi,

I've been asked to take photos for a launch of a new range of jewellery at a VIP promotional event at a 5-star hotel.

The photography basically involves photographing company reps and displays, and then some group shots of the actual event (up to 50 people).

I'm extremely excited to be asked, but have not had any experience with this type of event. Could anyone offer any tips or advice for photography, including best types of shots to take, best lenses, how to best use flash etc.

I have a 10-22mm, 50mm prime, 100mm macro, and an 18-200mm (which I generally avoid using for anything professional unless necessary). Also have a 580EX II Speedlight, flash diffuser, plus a remote flash/umbrella setup, reflectors, etc.

I doubt I'll be able to set up the umbrella or any peripheries unless I have a specific area dedicated for VIP shots, but I presume I'll generally be roaming the room.

Looking for any advice as a relative newcomer to event photography. Anything at all.

cheers
Ged

Longshots
25-08-2010, 10:56am
My tip is quote first.

;)

SRR33
25-08-2010, 2:02pm
Hire a 17-55 f2.8 lens as you will most likley be using this the most.

Have a backup body incase one fails (yes it can happen). Have a backup flash also.

The 100mm macro lens will come in handy for the product shots.

The best advice i can give you is find out exactly what you will be shooting and what the client had in mind. Last thing you want is turning up and they telling you to do a studio type shoot. Take everything with you that you own. Just leave it in the car if you not using it.

including best types of shots to take

No one can answer that. Ask the client what they want.

best lenses
Since you got a crop body, hire a 17-55 f2.8 IS. Be prepared for low light. Plus that lens is just as good as 24-70L.

how to best use flash

once again we dont know the requirements nor the venue or how it looks. Your experience with flash will come in use. So if you not comfortable, practice before hand. Learn to bounce the flash. Know how to use off camera flash etc..

If you not comfortable overall dont do it. Last thing you want is giving them bad shots.

gdluck.

Jules
25-08-2010, 2:13pm
Find out what the expectations are first. You say that you presume you'll be roaming the room - I'd want to know for certain exactly what shots are wanted and what kind of timeframes you have to take them. Will you be photographing the jewellery itself? It would be useful to know in advance if it will be on display stands or on models. Maybe you could setup your lighting gear for the jewellery shots?

Try and scope the venue before the big night to get an idea of the size of the room and the lighting, and see if you will be able to bounce flash off a low, light ceiling, or if you'll be dealing with high and/or dark ceilings.

Get as much info as you can. You can never be overprepared.

Longshots
25-08-2010, 4:21pm
And I was quite serious about quoting first.

Being asked to do something on a professional basis, means preparing yourself professionally as well. So once you have costed all of the suggested items to hire as additional gear required and necessary items to complete the job; also include the cost of Public Liability insurance for the event or take it out for the year (much cheaper than one off PL cover). And once you've done all of that, then you will know what it will cost you to do the job, and you'll be able to charge accordingly so at the very least you do not end up out of pocket.

The last thing you want to choose to do is to accept the job, deliver the goods, and then supply a bill which has never been discussed, nor will exactly what is expected of you to supply (ie number of images etc). Unfortunately I tend to hear from many new to the industry seeking assistance because their client has refused to pay a bill, and it almost always comes down to the issue of there being no agreement on pricing until after the event - which is too late.

SRR33
26-08-2010, 11:01am
Public liability insurance wont cost you much at all. Im paying 45 per month to cover 10million in damages. Better be covered than forking out $$$ if something goes wrong.

There is a lot more than just taking photos if you want to charge people for your services.

Let us know how you go.

junqbox
26-08-2010, 11:33am
All of the above. Pre-production is the safest and cheapest way to ensure you have covered as many possibilities as you can. Back-up equipment is essential. Also, a clear brief from the client, they might be saying a few pics of this and that, but their expectations may involve a lot more than this. So it's important to politely, but rigourously, question them. Well in advance too, because they may just be the one given the job of finding someone to do it, so they may have to go back and check a lot of things.
And absolutley, a quote agreed and signed by the client before you even arrive. (Inexperienced) Clients can get slippery when it comes to committing to things at the last minute.

Good luck

mcmahong
27-08-2010, 9:50am
This is all very good advice, thank you. I have already quoted to the client (but didn't think of public liability insurance - doh!). Oh well, I put this down as a learning exercise.

I feel quite comfortable and confident doing the job, but that will come with the better preparation, as you've all suggested. I'll do that, talk to the client, and visit the venue beforehand. I suspect that they are not too fussy about expectations, but mainly to get shots of their reps and the new products. The client is a friend of a friend and they also know that I'm a newcomer to photography, so they at least recognise that (but I'm still determined to exceed expectations).

It's in a few weeks, so I'll post again with an update. Thanks again so much for the good advice.

cheers
Ged

mcmahong
31-08-2010, 4:08pm
BTW, I can get my hands on a 16-35mm f/2.8 L series. This sounds good, but does anyone think that this is too wide, and I should really go for the 17-55mm?

Dan Cripps
31-08-2010, 5:08pm
I have already quoted to the client (but didn't think of public liability insurance - doh!). Oh well, I put this down as a learning exercise.

It will be an expensive learning experience if someone hurts themselves whilst you're shooting them! :o

mcmahong
02-09-2010, 12:37pm
It will be an expensive learning experience if someone hurts themselves whilst you're shooting them! :o

I'm not saying I won't be taking out insurance, just that I forgot to account for it in the quote!