PDA

View Full Version : 120 megapixels APS-H-size CMOS image sensor

Kym
24-08-2010, 7:28pm
http://www.canon.com/news/2010/aug24e.html

TOKYO, August 24, 2010—Canon Inc. announced today that it has successfully developed an APS-H-size CMOS image sensor that delivers an image resolution of approximately 120 megapixels (13,280 x 9,184 pixels), the world's highest level of resolution for its size.

Compared with Canon's highest-resolution commercial CMOS sensor of the same size, comprising approximately 16.1 million pixels, the newly developed sensor features a pixel count that, at approximately 120 million pixels, is nearly 7.5 times larger and offers a 2.4-fold improvement in resolution.

Psneddon
24-08-2010, 7:40pm
So how long until this is in the 1D.

Xenedis
24-08-2010, 7:40pm
When cramming that many photosites onto a physically small sensor, I wonder what the noise will be like.

Dan Gamble
24-08-2010, 8:06pm
When cramming that many photosites onto a physically small sensor, I wonder what the noise will be like.

Agreed. Evidence (seen whilst recently researching a new DSLR for myself) seemed to suggest that more pixels, whilst offering more potential and being really really cool , can also introduce other issues that may still make it no more effective than a CMOS with less pixels.

It'll be interesting to see what other technologies (ie. software and hardware filtering + possible new lens tech) apart from just a CMOS packed with bucket-loads of sensors, CANON will bring to the party to back up this exponential boost in MP's

Kym
24-08-2010, 8:09pm
The limit of diffraction is an issue at this density
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

Dan Gamble
24-08-2010, 10:07pm
The limit of diffraction is an issue at this density
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

There still seems to be a fair few other positives mentioned there also. It'll come down to the whole "what, where, when, how and how much?" for anyone looking at getting it, as is always with any DSLR purchase for most people I guess.

Can't wait 'til my grandkids are buzzed about getting their hands on and old 12mp classic coz they dig the "retro style" of the RAW's (which they'd probably have to also scan the net for a CODEC to convert them to "True 3D Hard-light visuals" or some rubbish)....

...but I digress.

Art Vandelay
24-08-2010, 10:23pm
Can't wait 'til my grandkids are buzzed about getting their hands on and old 12mp classic coz they dig the "retro style" of the RAW's (which they'd probably have to also scan the net for a CODEC to convert them to "True 3D Hard-light visuals" or some rubbish)....

...but I digress.

It wont even take that long. Look at how far technology has leapt last 10 years.

It wouldn't surprise me to see that sort of sensor, (and completely usable) in consumer grade gear in the next 5-10 years.

rowdy23
24-08-2010, 10:57pm

imagine the file size of each pic???

100mb + ???????????????????
200mb ?????????????????????

Dan Gamble
24-08-2010, 11:29pm
It wont even take that long. Look at how far technology has leapt last 10 years.

It wouldn't surprise me to see that sort of sensor, (and completely usable) in consumer grade gear in the next 5-10 years.

I agree with you completely.

It was kind of tongue in cheek what I was saying... I mean THEY'LL be using "True Hard-light 3D Visuals" and this stuff we think is awesome (inc. 120mp) will be their "Retro". :)

It was off topic anyway so I do apologise to all if I should have kept it straight.

Xenedis
24-08-2010, 11:37pm
imagine the file size of each pic???

100mb + ???????????????????
200mb ?????????????????????

Indeed. That'd be the size of the raw files.

I shoot with a 21mp Canon EOS 5D Mark II. The largest PSD file I have (I save my multi-layered processed files as that format) is 580MB in size. Imagine how large it would be with a 120mp raw file...

Captured frame
25-08-2010, 10:21pm
Can you imagine what capacity CF or SD cards you will require to shoot with a sensor that size?

Kym
25-08-2010, 10:25pm
SDXD is 2 terrabytes ;)
http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc

trigger
26-08-2010, 12:54pm
At least its future thinking. If its practical now? i doubt it.

I use to think that all these MPs are marketing. But after learning few things about managing diffraction, RAW processing, using resampling programs. The extra MP does make a difference in noise regardless of the density vs cameras with low MPs