PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for 1st time Canon Flash User

Cadnium
22-08-2010, 1:56pm
Hi All,

This question has probably been asked a number of times but I did a search and didn't find the exact information i was looking for.

I am new to photography and want to improve my indoor portraits with a flash and have been overwhelmed by differing opinions etc on the net. I have a Canon 50D body.

I understand that the action is with off camera flashing, so I want the ability with a single flash to at-least be able to take it off camera to learn what I am doing before sometime in the future stepping up to 2 flashes. I am pretty much looking at wireless as the Canon sync cords are insanely expensive imo. This is where the confusion comes in - everyone seems to say that if you can afford it only look at the 580exii, but I still wont be able to take this off camera without purchasing accessories.

I can't afford 2 flashes at the moment, so should I get a 580exii and some Yongnuo RC602's. I then ask myself the question that if I am using RC602 triggers, do i really need to pony up for the 580exii or would I be better getting a 430exii and saving my money to buy a cheap 3rd party manual flash when I am ready??

Sorry if the questions have already been asked, but I obviously don't want to 'waste' this sort of money...

Thanks,

Cadnium

Cadnium
23-08-2010, 8:18am
I ended up going with a 580EX-II and some RC-602's. It was expensive, so let's hope it turns out to be a good move...

Riverlander
23-08-2010, 8:43am
Indoors. Get a 430 and then save up for a 580 which will control the 430 as a slave.

MarkChap
23-08-2010, 8:52am
Wow you didn't give us lot of time to help you ??

You have done the deed now so no need for any advice.
You won't be dissapointed with either the 580 or the RF-602 triggers.

http://strobist.com should be your next port of call

Cadnium
23-08-2010, 1:48pm
Yeah i just decided to do it... I got the Scott Kelby books recently and with everything you need to take into account that reduces the effectiveness of your flash (diffusers, bouncing the light etc) I figured it was safer to get the bigger one rather than finding myself wanting later. You lose 1-2 stops just softening the light, and I don't have enough experience to know how that will practically apply just yet.

For the same price I probably would have gotten a 430exII and a manual Yongnuo 560 or so, but I can worry about that later. I won't be buying any more accessories for awhile so atleast this was a good one!

ving
23-08-2010, 1:52pm
hmm.... sb600?

MarkChap
23-08-2010, 2:14pm
hmm.... sb600?

Yeah a good choice for Off Camera Ving

But Cadnium is a Canon shooter so the added benefit of using the 580 on camera if needs be is worth it.

ving
23-08-2010, 2:24pm
oh bugger.... :/