PDA

View Full Version : first self delveloped rolls!

MattC
22-08-2010, 9:21am
Well, after much mucking around, I was finally in a position to develop a couple of rolls of tri-x 400 yesterday afternoon for the first time.
One important lesson I learnt, is that if you spend 20 minutes light proofing the room, make sure you have the film in the same room! :Doh:

Anyway spooling the two rolls went pretty well, having practised on a roll of expired film, and one in the canister I could start playing around with the chemicals.

I used D76 1:1, and Ilford stop bath and Rapid fixer, all as per the instructions, and all went well. The only slight issue I had was that the negs came out with a purple tint to them, but upon reading it is either to do with the fact that I didn't do a pre-soak, or didn't wash the negs long enough.

My main issue at the moment is not having a decent scanner, only a cheapo multi thingy.
Anyway, here is a image from my first self developed roll - this has been quickly adjusted in PS to try and compensate for the crappy scanner, and purple tinge!

Oh - and a big thanks to hoffy for his help and advice :th3:

Cheers,

Matt
http://a.imageshack.us/img90/438/scan001adj.jpg

geck
22-08-2010, 11:17am
Looks great mate, nice shot

andrewc999
22-08-2010, 12:10pm
Congratulations Matt for the picture and especially for processing your first film.

MattC
22-08-2010, 7:00pm
Cheers guys!
btw - shot was taken at the central markets on a club outing.
Now - just to find an decent affordable scanner!

TOM
22-08-2010, 8:21pm
Hey Matt, I'm sure it's a relief to get that first roll out of the way. It looks like you sure do need a better scanner, as there are Newton rings everywhere. Matt, are those vertical lines on the neg or from the scan? Nice pic btw.

Don't skimp on the scanner Matt if you can help it, it's all that stands bewteen the neg and the final image, and the image will only be as good as the weakest link. Search for a second hand Nikon Coolscan IV or V.

MattC
22-08-2010, 10:04pm
Thanks TOM - sure was a relief!
Yeah - the scanner is next on the list after the darkroom - the current $50 scanner/printer/copier just doesn't cut it!
Unfortunately it is either a decent scanner or a dedicated dark room at the moment, and since I have just brought 2 enlargers plus dark room gear, the darkroom wins out!

Next challenge will be processing some 120 film.

TOM
22-08-2010, 10:07pm
Of course, go AG-x given the choice. Speak to you in a couple of days.

shaunj
23-08-2010, 12:10pm
Good stuff :)

swifty
24-08-2010, 2:39pm
Well done, Matt. It's awesome seeing that first roll come out isn't it.
One question though, why bother light proofing the entire room when u can just use a changing bag?
As for scanners, my V700 does a good job on both 35mm and 120 but I hear the V600 ain't too shabby either for a lot less $.

MattC
24-08-2010, 3:00pm
Cheers.

Swifty - the reason for light proofing the room, is that I don't have a change bag yet, and I was doing this during the day. :) Next time will be in the linen cupboard at night time!

hoffy
24-08-2010, 7:40pm
Good to see you finally get the film done! Hope the call to the hoffy help line gave you the right info!

Now, its just a downward spiral....hehehe

Scromple
28-08-2010, 5:08pm
Hey Matt... Your purple tint on the film is most likely because it was not fixed long enough. You can refix an already developed roll. If it's already cut though it can be awkward getting it back onto the spiral.

When you are doing the fixing, take the spiral out of the chemical and pop a little bit of the film out and take a look holding it up with something White behind like a wall. If it's still purple it needs more time.

Nice bakery shot.

MattC
28-08-2010, 7:49pm
Ha yes the hoffy hotline! 1800-I-SHOOT-FILM :D

Cheers Scromple - I have heard that it was either to do with the fixing and or the washing time. I certainly fixed it for a reasonable time 3-4 minutes from memory (just can't the exact info at the moment) I did notice that the water in the wash was coming out with a purple tinge, but as this was the first time I had done this, I didn't think much of it - live and learn I suppose! :)

StanW
29-08-2010, 10:05am
Check the strength of the fixer - it's different for film and paper.
It looks pretty good, perhaps a little overexposed, but it's difficult to tell from the scan. Best wishes for the darkroom.

GlennSan
04-09-2010, 11:40pm
Good on you Matt - you're away at last! Have fun with it.

RE changing bags: I use one and have done for years but I don't like it as much as loading up spools in a darkroom. My hands start to sweat if I don't get the roll spooled fairly quickly and then it all goes downhill form there. Looking forward to your first 120 results - you'll likely be very pleased, compared to 35mm.