PDA

View Full Version : Freelance Photography- Getting started?

mamabear
21-08-2010, 10:23pm
I'm new to this site, as well professional photography, but I'm wanting to make a career in freelance photography.
What's the best way to get started?
I've been looking at doing a few TAFE courses to better my photography skills, as up until now it has just been a hobby. I've also had a look on the Cengage website, as they offer quite a few photography courses, but I've heard that Cengage aren't that great.

Does anyone have any tips or information regarding becomming freelance photographer?

Any information will be greatly apprecited!
I feel like such a noob!
Thanks!

kiwi
21-08-2010, 10:28pm
what's your experience ? and what sort of photograohy are you hoping to freelance in ?

ricktas
22-08-2010, 6:41am
If it was me, I would consider doing a freelance photography and journalism course. Many newspapers, travel magazines and more, prefer to get both photos and story together. Now as Kiwi says, what is your experience level? I would not consider being a freelancer till I had great photography skills first, cause if you present something that is not up to standard to a newspaper/magazine, chances are they will not give you a second look.

geoffsta
22-08-2010, 8:01am
I'd like to see a few of your photos in the members section, and maybe tell us what sort of gear you have. Some idea of what type of freelance. Travel, current affairs or fashion/glamour all have different styles and different gear required. With any of these types of photography the cost of equipment could run into $10,000 + and plenty of hard work.

mamabear
22-08-2010, 8:15pm
Thanks for your replies!

I'd love to focus mainly on maternity/family/childrens photography. But am interested in journalism as well.
I did photography as part of my HSC in 2006 but haven't had the chance to do much else but take happy snaps and fiddle around with my Nikon D80. I have two little boys aged 3 and 1 and am a stay at home mum to them, so I for now I am only looking for somewhere to start in regards to building skills/qualifications, equipment and working my way to becoming a professional. It would be a few years before I start looking to make money.
I am very much a beginner.
I'll post a few pictures as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks again!

ricktas
22-08-2010, 8:24pm
Baby steps...

Your thread is all to common. Mum who wants to become a professional photographer, we see about 2-3 of these threads every month. Some thoughts:

1. You will need good camera gear, including back-up's of camera bodies (in case one dies)
2. You will need insurance.
3. You will need good business accumen. Including accounting and marketing. Professionally photography is about 20% taking photos, the rest is business stuff.
4. You need good camera/photography skills (show us some of your work).
5. You will need LOTS of time to dedicate to marketing etc to get your name out there. Time is usually something that most mum's find they do not have enough of already.
6. Research. Most businesses fail cause the owners did not research the business enough, didn't have the skills to undertake it, or the time to dedicate to it.

Start at the beginning, show us some photos, learn, do a business course part-time, do a marketing course part-time, talk to the tax office and your accountant.

People can and do build up great businesses from starting photography as a hobby, but those that succeed are more than just photographers.

Good Luck! and there is a saying " How do you make $50,000 as a photographer...You start with $100,000"

mamabear
22-08-2010, 11:23pm
That was they main thing that had me stumped- how freelancers managed the business side of their work.
Like I said, I have a few years before I'd want to think about doing paid work anyway.

It seems as though with most things in life you have to have money to make money. It's easy to understand why there are so many homeless.

Thanks very much!

ricnak
23-08-2010, 1:06am
Hi there mamabear.

Don't be disheartened by the cold hard facts of the business of professional photography.

Yes, it is business.

Yes, they are cold hard CORRECT facts.

BUT...... you have mentioned that you are on the learning curve, willing to learn and feel you are years away from deriving income from your work.

So..... that tells me that you are REALISTIC in your expectations.

I am a close to home mum too. It is hard/impossible to get out to all those interesting meets at the best photographic times of the day.

So.... Use what you have around you to practice - your kids/playgroup/family. Practice until you KNOW that you can reproduce the same result every time you try.

Tell people around you that you take like taking photo's. I bet 10 bucks, within a day someone will say that they would love have to have some shots taken but can't afford the "studio sitting fees blah blah blah". Offer to take pics for free for the privilege of practice (I might be kicked off this site for suggesting it) . Don't guarantee anything.

Be honest with people that you are new to photography- it takes the pressure off having to deliver the standard "perfect" studio shot every time.

Take your camera everywhere you go. Use it when you can. You are, in what I consider to be a lucky "space".

The general public is not allowed to photograph young children these days. You are (with permission from parents)

You are a young mum, with young kids - document it all - that alone would give you a niche in a part of the freelance photography market of today's super paranoid/anti child photography scene. A scene that MUST be shown. If we are to have a record of it.

ricktas
23-08-2010, 7:39am
The general public is not allowed to photograph young children these days. You are (with permission from parents)

WRONG : There is NO law that specifically separates children's photography from all other photography. The law states that if the photographer is on public land and a person (adult or child) is visible from that public land then they must expect they could be photographed!

The mum's n dad's of Australia are just paranoid, and that has lead to the current situation, where they don't want their children photographed. STUPID. Most children who are sexually molested know their attacker, be it a family member or family friend. This anti children photography beat-up is perpetuated by comments like yours above.

Funnily those who believe it is illegal to photograph their children without their permission would be the first to be asking if the security and closed circuit tv systems in our streets managed to capture photos of their children's attacker, if it unfortunately occurred. You cannot have it both ways. Demanding the right to stop a photographer in public from taking photos of your children without your permission, but at the same time, wanting the security cameras to take photos of your children in public without your permission.

mamabear
23-08-2010, 8:28am
Thanks ricnak,
I admit I have been a little disheartened over the past few days, which is silly. There is a business side to everything profitable obviously. If you want to make money off it, it can't always be fun and games.

My sister works at a childcare centre, so I was thinking of getting permission to go there and see what I come up with. Maybe give the parents a copy of a photo of their children and give them a feedback survey sheet to see how satisfied they are, if they'd be willing to pay money (not charging, them just to get an idea of where I'm at in regards to other peoples critiques) and hopefully start a portfolio.

I agree, ricktas, with parents being paranoid. But I can't blame them. If I saw someone taking candid shots of my children I have to admit I'd probably get suspicious and defensive.
When I took my eldest to the pool for his first swim I packed the camera, and when I pulled it out and started shooting I was immediately told by staff to put it away, as cameras weren't allowed.
I was so disappointed. All I managed to get was a blurred shot.

It's really sad that it's come to this, but in seeing tv shows like Bondi Rescue, where a man was caught taking photos of girls in bikinis, then putting his hand down his pants, it does plant a seed- 'How many other people are out there doing sinister things such as this?'.

I, however, don't refrain from taking pictures of children in public. That's when you really capture them in all their innocence and really in their element.

jasevk
23-08-2010, 8:38am
See, going into a daycare centre to take photo's is a classic example of a situation where you should have insurance... things can go wrong when you work with kids... and you'd want to be covered should anything happen. and this is not public property so you'll need permission to do this, and the day care centre would presumably need permission from the parents. This is probably a good approach to take, but just make sure you have all your ducks in a row. :th3:

ricktas
23-08-2010, 8:40am
My sister works at a childcare centre, so I was thinking of getting permission to go there and see what I come up with. Maybe give the parents a copy of a photo of their children and give them a feedback survey sheet to see how satisfied they are, if they'd be willing to pay money (not charging, them just to get an idea of where I'm at in regards to other peoples critiques) and hopefully start a portfolio.

I agree, ricktas, with parents being paranoid. But I can't blame them. If I saw someone taking candid shots of my children I have to admit I'd probably get suspicious and defensive.
When I took my eldest to the pool for his first swim I packed the camera, and when I pulled it out and started shooting I was immediately told by staff to put it away, as cameras weren't allowed.
I was so disappointed. All I managed to get was a blurred shot.

Different issue. Both of these facilities are classed as private, not public, locations, therefore they can apply a 'no photography' rule as a condition of entry. However, if you kids were at a local public park, people can photograph them! Yes, approach them and ask why, but we see all to often the paranoid parent going off their head, when a polite and cordial question would resolve it easily and just maybe the parent might get some great shots of their kids, for their efforts.

Redgum
23-08-2010, 8:55am
G'day Mamabear,
Some good and some odd advice above. From experience picking up a gig as a freelance photographer won't happen until you have regular photographic work under your belt. You rarely become a freelance until your good at the photographic side AND have extensive business experience because no one else is going to manage your workload.
Two skills you must have include a broad knowledge of business and as Rick suggests a strong flare for writing. Magazines and newspapers won't look at you without these skills and they also need a portfolio of past work (not just photography).
Finally, you need to have other skills/activities to survive on between gigs especially for the first five or six years. If you refuse a job for personal reasons it's very unlikely you will get asked again by that organisation. Supply and demand.
Most artistic/creative endeavours demand focus and priorities so make sure that at times you can put your work above your children (not always but sometimes). If you feel you can't do this then making a living from photojournalism will not eventuate. Them are the facts from thirty years in the industry and a stack of positive people power.
Oh! one side effect to being a photojournalist is isolation, the nature of the work if you want to earn money.

maccaroneski
23-08-2010, 9:40am
...a strong flare for writing....

Oh the irony :)

On the topic, I think that you are going the right way about it. You recognise that it's a long path and are asking all the right questions. Don't be disheartened!

For what it's worth, my advice is simply practice and discipline. Do a 365 project. Undertake to learn a new technique per week.

mamabear
23-08-2010, 10:14am
Thanks guys! Keep it coming!
I'm actually getting inspired, rather than disheartened which is surprising.

maccaroneski, I started a 365 project what must have been nearly a year ago, but I only made it through 4 or 5 days which is shame! I could have nearly finished it by now! I'd just had my youngest son though, so I had my hands full at the time.

I'm definitely going to do few business courses. This way I'll not only be more prepared, but if it doesn't work out I'll atleast have something else under my belt for me to fall back on.

My starting a portfolio would be more for myself, so I can see how I'm progressing, but also to provide examples to potential clients and to try and gain some interest.
I have a parenting forum that I frequent, on which there is a research forum. I'm tossing up the idea of seeing if there are any local families that would sit a free photoshoot, if in return they let me use some of the photos in a portfolio or for promoting, and give me some feedback in regards to service, quality of photos, what they would like to get out of a photoshoot if they were paying, etc. Maybe throwing in a complimentary 8x10 of their favorite image, and if they want copies of the rest they can pay for the cost of printing if they want them printed, or simply allowing them to access them online.

Are there any precautions I would need to take in this case? I would make it clear that I am only an amateur looking for experience and feedback. I have volunteered my boys previously with the same understanding but the photographer wasn't able to use any of her shots. It didn't bother me, because I know how difficult it can be as an amateur working with children, particularly kids that aren't yours. I just hope if I do do this that I get the same patience and understanding!

ricktas
23-08-2010, 12:36pm
my only suggestion for a 'precaution' in the above would be to get a contract. Stipulate exactly what you want the photos for, how you can use them, and what the subjects and their parents get from the deal. Get it signed by yourself and the parents before taking any photos. A written and signed contract can go a long way to ensuring there are no disputes over what was agreed to.

JM Tran
23-08-2010, 12:43pm
G'day Mamabear,
Some good and some odd advice above. From experience picking up a gig as a freelance photographer won't happen until you have regular photographic work under your belt. You rarely become a freelance until your good at the photographic side AND have extensive business experience because no one else is going to manage your workload.
Two skills you must have include a broad knowledge of business and as Rick suggests a strong flare for writing. Magazines and newspapers won't look at you without these skills and they also need a portfolio of past work (not just photography).
Finally, you need to have other skills/activities to survive on between gigs especially for the first five or six years. If you refuse a job for personal reasons it's very unlikely you will get asked again by that organisation. Supply and demand.
Most artistic/creative endeavours demand focus and priorities so make sure that at times you can put your work above your children (not always but sometimes). If you feel you can't do this then making a living from photojournalism will not eventuate. Them are the facts from thirty years in the industry and a stack of positive people power.
Oh! one side effect to being a photojournalist is isolation, the nature of the work if you want to earn money.

damn straight about the isolation and loneliness of being a photographer/journalist

I am writing this from Mongolia, and will be spending the next 6 days living in a ger with a horse tribe documenting them all by myself.......lol

photography mixed with traveling for clients or free-lance work is really really hard on your life if you have children and other prior commitments already......something to seriously consider

in 2010 entering into photography for business is very much like someone trying to enter the IT industry long after the dot com and internet boom, meaning its hard to establish yourself from the early starters and having to compete with a much higher percentage of competitors possessing same level of experience or greater.

Jodster
23-08-2010, 1:01pm
I done the Freelance photography course through Cengage and my personal opinion was I was not happy with it, maybe because it is not what I was looking for. Some people were happy with the course and others weren't.
Personally I find going to tafe and learning that is more inspiring.

mamabear
23-08-2010, 4:16pm
Thanks jodster.
I don't think I'll be going through Cengage then. They're quite expensive considering the average-bad reviews I've heard.
I'll stick with TAFE :)

Paul G
23-08-2010, 10:58pm
Time management and the ability to prioritise Mamabear! You'll need it. I've just picked up a story brief for a national magazine today (freelance job). 2 days on-site shooting for an event with access via 4WD, plus my own editing and writing time in the following days. I have a six day deadline to submit the article and photos. A story body-copy plus three to four sidebars with pics and interviews.

It's a rush to your system to do these sorts of jobs but a challenge that I enjoy. Like you I have two young children who occupy a lot of my time which is why I'm often still pacing around here well into the night.

Your original intention of freelance photographer and journalist seems to have mellowed a little into more a photography venture if I'm reading correctly but if you stick to your original plan you will need good family support, be prepared to travel for work and have the necessary backup gear to shoot offsite.

Being able to work with people of all ages, personality types, demeanour etc is a must when you have to get answers for your questions for the article in question.

I would possibly suggest TAFE for your photography courses and if you are serious about journalism you really can't go past a Uni degree although a lot more magazines especially, will hire people who have a general flair for writing and know the subject matter well.

Industry contacts are important so build up a collection of names, numbers and emails (in your chosen areas) from the start and when things start taking off for you you will have a great database to draw from!

Hope this helps and adds to what others have said!

mamabear
24-08-2010, 8:32am
Thanks Paul G :)
I am sort of leaning toward more of 'photography venture' as you put it, but am liking more and more the idea of journalism and travel (although with my two youngens at the age they're at I won't be travelling much at all. When they get older we plan to travel as much as possible, so we'll see how I go there.)

It's nice to hear from someone else with young kids in the business that is managing :)

I'd like to prepare myself as much as possible really in as many areas as I can while I've got the chance, as I think once I finally get back in to the workplace I'll find it hard to study and all the rest of it. My partner is home in the evenings so I'll see what courses I can do then. I'll definately do a business course or two and some photography courses.

Thanks very much!

dche5390
24-08-2010, 8:53am
By no means have I made it but this is my personal experience.

I had a dream of being a wedding photographer late 2009. I organised an ABN and paid for a few domain registration, as well as self-hosted webspace. I shot my first wedding as a second shooter in March. Since then, I have not had any wedding work, nor have I actively seeked it.

The journey is a long one. I originally set up my blog to be a portfolio of my work. However, it has somewhat mellowed into a personal blog that acts like a personal journal. My priority is not to get weddings booked. In fact, I am trying my best not to think about the business aspect. Instead, I am taking things very slowly. Enjoying all that photography has to offer. And I am having fun and learning at the same time.

My plan is to subcontract myself to wedding photography companies. I don't care about the pay. I just need more exposure and to build a reputable wedding portfolio. I am doing an unrelated Masters so my priorities are with that.

Fortunately for me, due to my crazy gear trading reputation, I have met many key people within the industry that I can call upon for help, mentorship, and guidance. I think this is the most important aspect - having someone to critique and push your work to the next level. It certainly has helped me. And I must thank a random person I met from gumtree for pushing me into taking my photography to the next level. And we're great mates now and in fact, have formed a business partnership.

Mamabear, if it is your goal, work hard towards it. There are no shortcuts. In this industry, it is a very dog eat dog world filled with jealousy and back stabbing. But that is life. Take the good bits and apply yourself. There will be obstacles. There will be moments where you will doubt your ability. But just like running a marathon, or even child birth, keep the end in sight.

mamabear
24-08-2010, 9:07am
Thanks dche5390 :)
I plan on taking it easy at least for now, while I get things in order, which is why I'm willing to do quite a bit of volunteer work. Take a few course when I come across them.
I'm not looking to get rich quick, but to learn as much as I can and make as much progress as possible before I expect people to pay for my work.

jjphoto
24-08-2010, 11:59am
I think almost everyone wants to be a professional photographer these days, hence the glut of professional photographers out there in many area’s of photography.

I think that the value of photography is much lower now than it was even 5 years ago, meaning that many companies and people will pay less for the same end product now than they did before. Of course photography covers a vast gamut of fields and this may not be true of every one of them but I think it's a reasonable generalisation. Many people think that photography is easy, both buyers (the customers) and photographers (who are now no longer shooting E6, slide film, with it's unforgiving properties). Look at product shots as an example, the middle to low end of that market has gone with most companies shooting their own product shots with simple point and shoot cameras and crappy hot work lights from Bunnings, or similar. Also many magazines are finding it difficult to survive and their financial woes are being passed on to their contributors (this is not always a bad thing as their standards are often much lower too so it's easier for beginners to get a foothold over the old hands who might be charging more for their work). Stock images are very cheap now, and only getting cheaper. None of the above affects the high end of the market but nor will a newcomer be starting at the top. My point is basically that I think there are probably more opportunities for beginners but almost all of them would pay very little so how do you make a living that way? Maybe photography is becoming the new part time work of choice, and maybe it is best looked at that way. I really don't know.

The talented, dedicated, committed will almost always do extremely well through a hunger for knowledge, challenge and maybe even, dare I say it, originality or a unique vision. There's always room at the top for those who can deliver the goods (broad generalization here, as there are many different types of photographic markets to work in). Ironically they are not usually here asking how to do that but are probably busy doing it anyway, making mistakes, learning from them and moving on to the next challenge. I think I look at professional freelance photography a bit like shopping in a Bently show room in that if you have to ask how much it costs then you can't afford it, and relating that to photography, if you have to ask how to do it then you possibly/probably can't do it, at least not terribly well. I'm not trying to be mean so please don't take it that way but my point is that you need to be VERY driven, VERY DRIVEN, and those who are will most likely succeed. Some talent helps a lot, but confidence (and putting yourself out there), marketing skills and business acumen are far more important. Being wishy washy or half hearted about it will not end terribly well but of course it depends on your measure of success. If you want to make a few hundred bucks a month extra then that should be easy. If you want to make a living out of it then that’s a different matter, contrary to what seems to me to be the common perception of photography.

On the one hand it has been getting easier to get started in photography in recent years (maybe the last 5-10 years) and there may be more markets for images but on the other hand I think it's also become harder to earn a reasonable income (in certain, maybe many fields) as the value of images and photographic work seem to have gone down too.

JJ

Paul G
24-08-2010, 1:02pm
It's nice to hear from someone else with young kids in the business that is managing :)

I wouldn't say I'm managing just yet ;). I still work other jobs too where I can, which can be hard to maintain in between infrequent freelance assignments.

As others have said it is a tough field to stay afloat in and to her credit my partner picks up a lot of the weight when I do have the need to be away on weekends.

Honestly, my background (or true calling) is in print journalism, (newspaper) and I'm only just starting to get back into freelance work now that my photography is improving somewhat.

mamabear
24-08-2010, 1:15pm
I agree with you in that photography has lost its value, which is a real shame considering the effort, passion and money photographers put into their work.

I'm not asking how to take photos, I'm asking how people get started in freelance photography and am interested in hearing peoples experiences. I have an idea of the things I will need- ie, equipment, insurance, etc. The part I'm not sure on is the business side and how it is managed, as I am not business savvy in the slightest. It's not knowledge one is born with.

I am a determined person, and I think in my position I have to be. At risk of getting too personal; I fell pregnant at 17 while I was doing my HSC. I was determind to finish, which I did, I was determined to stand on my own two feet and get a place of my own, which I did, determined not to become one of those young mothers that sit out the front of centrelink, smoking while their kids sit in their pram drinking cordial out of a bottle wearing flithy pyjamas, I'm determined to bring my boys up in a stable, loving environment, which my partner and I are and have been from the start. (It helps that I wasn't a deliquent to start with). Not to mention I was determined to have a drug/intervention free childbirth, which I did twice :efelant:. I am determined for my boys to reach their full potential, and although they're only young, they are. My 3 year old is reading, writing and counting and has an obsession with dinosaurs, naming nearly 30 as well as spouting facts off the top of his head, as well as showing some real potential in soccer. I am determind to raise smart, happy, healthy, considerate boys- which, so far, I am.
Anyway, I'll quit my rambling.

But it's not like I woke up one morning and thought 'I might become a photographer today. Let's see what I can find on google.'.
It's something I've always had a great interest in. I've carried a camera with me just about everywhere since my Dad bought me my own for my 9th birthday.
My photos aren't at a professional level, but they're good. I'm still developing and still learning, but I'm making progress. Like I've already said- I'm not looking to get rich quick. I'm looking to gain as much knowledge, experience and qualifications as I can. I've put my life on hold for the past few years, taking care of my boys and allowing my partner to establish the career he's always wanted. He's due to finish his study in the next few months, so I'm taking the opportunity now to start taking steps to achieve mine.
I am a very driven person, but also very laid back. I strive to get what I want, and if it doesn't work out I sit back and find another way around.

If all I gain out of attempting to achieve a career in photography is just is a few qualifications and a bit of experience I'll still be happy. At least I will know I've tried, rather than wondering what could have been.

Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it.

jjphoto
24-08-2010, 1:49pm
... At least I will know I've tried, rather than wondering what could have been...

I think a lot of people resonate with that sentiment. You can't die wondering what could have been.

Good luck.

JJ

kiwi
24-08-2010, 3:29pm
Nice reply. My experience suggests that when you reach a certain level people will start wanting to pay you. The best way to start is to start. There's plenty of free advice about starting a business from government about the regulatory needs.

I think that usually it takes a few false starts but takes only a couple of years to get some sort of business plan in place with the skills to back it up

Go girl

mamabear
24-08-2010, 5:54pm
:D Thanks kiwi!!:th3:

Dan Cripps
26-08-2010, 11:28am
Here's my advice in a nutshell:

1. Do a business management/administration course.
2. Find a mentor(s) who can advise on both the creative and business sides - might not be the same person.
3. Identify a style/genre/niche - don't try to be all things to all people.
4. Build a portfolio before you charge anyone a cent.
5. When you do start charging for your services, price your time and products properly. A good mentor will help here.

mamabear
26-08-2010, 12:10pm
Thanks Zeke!
Would you recommend doing a full business administration course or will a basic-ish one do?
ie- a cert I-III?

Dan Cripps
26-08-2010, 12:45pm
Thanks Zeke!
Would you recommend doing a full business administration course or will a basic-ish one do?
ie- a cert I-III?

In all honesty, anything is better than nothing!

The vast majority start up their photography businesses with little or no business training or skills. A digital SLR and a dream will only get you so far. :th3:

If you get the basics down pat it will go a long way towards you being able to implement a feasible long term business plan.

mamabear
26-08-2010, 1:00pm
Awesome :)
Thanks heaps!
I just realised I did a TVET business course as part of my HSC as well, which I think was either a cert I or III.. So I should be able to get credit or recognition for that. I'll have to have a look at my HSC papers. :D

flashpixx
28-08-2010, 11:00pm
I am a semi pro freelance motorsport photog. It all started out as a hobby, shooting over the fence at local events. I asked at the race secretary's office about getting access onto the track proper, and was lucky enough to be granted permission. In return I provide pix to the club for free. My son (a trainee Journo) and I contribute to the club newsletter. I have slowly built up a following of club members who regularly purchase images in both digital and print. At the start of this year a national magazine wanted someone to supply images from the event. I contacted the editor and negotiated to provide a race report and pix for publication. Since then have covered a number of events and a couple of feature articles. I won't make enough to leave my fulltime job, but I have purchased my Nikon kit from the business. Keys to my success:

- be realistic about your skill, the market, and to who you can sell images
- be very aware of what the market is currently paying and charge the same
- differentiate yourself in the images you produce, not on price
- market, market, market. Talk to lots of people, practice and plan
- look at what others are producing and look to make yours different

good luck!

ricktas
29-08-2010, 9:06am
Awesome :)
Thanks heaps!
I just realised I did a TVET business course as part of my HSC as well, which I think was either a cert I or III.. So I should be able to get credit or recognition for that. I'll have to have a look at my HSC papers. :D

If you didn't remember doing it till now, I would suggest ignoring getting credit for it, and do the unit(s) again, cause you could very well have forgotten the important information contained within the unit(s). A refresh is always worthwhile, even if you think you know it! I reckon I have done that many units on balance sheets that I should know everything by now..but I don't!

mamabear
29-08-2010, 2:18pm
Wow, flashpixx!! That's awesome! Well done!! Thanks for the advice! :D

Yeah, ricktas I was thinking the same thing earlier. I went to do something on Microsoft excel and was just blank! I can't for the life of me remember how to do half the things on there, and that's just data entry, so I can't imagine what else I've forgotten!
It's amazing how much kids fry your brain! Haha:rolleyes: