PDA

View Full Version : PocketWizard MultiMax question?

Paul G
20-08-2010, 2:00am
I'm looking at a pair of these (http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/36/PW-MULTI/) for sale (cheap) but the ad says "US Version/Frequency".

I understand the US frequency to be 344MHz while here it is 433MHz. I'm guessing all Nikon flashes, SB800/SB900, and other brands for that matter, are the same spec around the world.

Is the killer here that the American-market PocketWizards will just be transmitting 'dead-air' and would be totally useless in Australia? I'm guessing so...

Paul G
20-08-2010, 4:55pm
Anyone have any knowledge of this?

I @ M
20-08-2010, 5:10pm
Paul, as far as I know, the 344MHz rating is the frequency that the units transmit to each other on and is in no way tied to any or all speedlights.

The reason that they have separate frequencies between the US and AUS is that the 344MHz range in AUS may well be used by commercial or govt radio transmissions and operating those triggers MAY cause interference to the other transmissions.
When that happens it is generally looked upon as an illegal act and that is why there is a separate frequency for units sold here but yes, they will still operate here.