PDA

View Full Version : Advice on possibilities for macro type photography

Primal Eye
19-08-2010, 12:36am
I have recently purchased a Canon 50D that came with a Lens "kit". Those lenses being the 18-55 & 55-250 IS type.

Now having blown apart all the goodwill of my partner, I find myself wanting to try a little macro photography. Having no goodwill floating about to try my chance at buying a macro lens at the moment, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction for getting either extension tubes, or a close-up lens.

Now the tricky bit is knowing what I should be looking for that will fit my camera, or the lens, if anything can indeed do that? I have read many web sites and still seem totally confused on this point.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

:th3:

Riverlander
19-08-2010, 9:25am
If it was me I would buy a set of close-up lenses that screw into the fron ot the 18-55 just like filters do. They come in various diameters and I believe that lens is 58mm - ca common diameter.

The advantage with this idea (over cheap extension tubes) is that the camera still "talks" to the lens and all things still work correctly.

Then build up some goodwill, and some cash, and buy a dedicated macro lens -- the longer the focal length the better!

Primal Eye
20-08-2010, 2:19pm
If it was me I would buy a set of close-up lenses that screw into the fron ot the 18-55 just like filters do. They come in various diameters and I believe that lens is 58mm - ca common diameter.

The advantage with this idea (over cheap extension tubes) is that the camera still "talks" to the lens and all things still work correctly.

Then build up some goodwill, and some cash, and buy a dedicated macro lens -- the longer the focal length the better!

Cheers, thanks for that.

The goodwill may take a little time, but I'm working hard on that front :D.

Your suggestion sounds like a good idea, and yes, the 18-55 is a 58mm. So what should I be looking for in terms of brand etc?

Riverlander
20-08-2010, 5:22pm
I be looking for in terms of brand etc?

Probably Hoya, but I am not sure who makes them these days. There are quite a few on eBay but I have no idea of the quality - have not used a close up filter for 20 years.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5291.htm