PDA

View Full Version : GalaxyS OR iphone

41jas
17-08-2010, 4:56pm
I'm wondering which way to go...Silly question maybe...but I'd like to know what people think.
I know it seems the batteries don't last long in either phone. Just looking for people's thoughts with apps etc.
I want to be able to use it as a camera as well when you don't have to carry the bulky one around to.

AmyK
17-08-2010, 5:01pm
If it were my choice, I'd choose the iPhone. My younger sister has the Samsung 480T [touch screen similar to the Galaxy S] and it's a pain in the butt to navigate. I've got the iPhone, and I haven't been able to fault it. Sure it's had a few little issues along the way, but nothing that I couldn't fix myself. My previous phones had all had alot more issues.

tanz
17-08-2010, 5:05pm
Sorry, I can't help. The only thing I use my phone for is ringing people, I don't even like texting because it takes me toooooo long :Doh:

TanyaJ
17-08-2010, 5:06pm
I have a 3G S Iphone, and I love it,:th3: I have had it a couple of months and still so many applications I have not even looked at as yet. I dont know anything sabout the Samsung Galaxy-but my previous phone-Samsung produced very bad reception- majority of my phone calls would cut out-I am with the same network now with the iphone and have no problems with the reception at all.
The battery definitely doesn't last that long especially if you are on the applications, but I just put mine on charge overnight and it well and truly lasts the day.

Good Luck with your decision.:)

Tanya

41jas
17-08-2010, 5:08pm
Amy, have you got the new iphone4? They say the aerial surrounds the phone and is best to get a cover so your hands don't touch it. Easy done.

ricktas
17-08-2010, 5:19pm
Ive got the iPhone4, and I cannot get mine to lose or drop signal by holding it how they claim causes it to happen. The iPhone4 is much heavier than the 3G/3Gs version, it starts up faster, has a much faster processor (same processor as iPad), Screen is HEAPS better than previous versions, and 5mp camera produces quite good results (but dont sell your DSLR)

jasevk
17-08-2010, 5:29pm
I have the 3GS iPhone with the version 4 software... love it, haven't used the Samsung.... but I LOOOVE my iPhone! :D

Michaela
17-08-2010, 5:31pm
iPhone 3GS for me, too - love it to bits! :th3:

JzB
17-08-2010, 5:50pm
Well... I expected to see a lot more anti- iphone ranting... its probably still to come (it always does). But Im for the iPhone too.

Bear Dale
17-08-2010, 5:53pm
My wife and I both have brand new 32GB iPhone 4's and they are a HUGE step up from our old 3G iPhones and we have no problem with the "Death Grip" issue and the screens are INCREDIBLE! and the phones are fast fast fast!

41jas
17-08-2010, 6:36pm
Looks like the iphone is the go. I'm not sure how long the GalaxyS has been out for.
***What are the benefits of a iphone?????
***Would I be better off buying another phone with a 5MP camera with free facebook?
***What features do they have that make them worth spending the extra on???
I'm so confused with this when I'm normally one to have a basic phone in the price range of $80.00....lol...I want to get something that is good mainly the camera part so I have a camera on me at all times.

Colourised
17-08-2010, 7:29pm
if u could get your hands on the iphone 4G that would the best!

i have the 3GS and its pretty good already but the 4G's camera and HD video abilities is just faultless (at least to me) especially with the new screen it looks amazing :D

joele
17-08-2010, 7:50pm
If it were my choice, I'd choose the iPhone. My younger sister has the Samsung 480T [touch screen similar to the Galaxy S] and it's a pain in the butt to navigate.

Completely different Operating System.. The 480T is a cheap nasty consumer phone, the Galaxy S is a high end Smartphone running Android..

The Galaxy S is a great phone, I am not going to bother ranting against the iPhone, just that I imagine many of the people voting for the iphone may never have tried a Galaxy S? maybe not even an Android phone?

I think it is best to go try them both out and buy the one you like the best, I think the vast majority of people would be very happy with either..

AmyK
17-08-2010, 8:11pm
Amy, have you got the new iphone4?

Nope, I've got the old iPhone 3G. Going to upgrade to the iPhone 4 when my contract runs out.

Mr Zee
17-08-2010, 8:19pm
Yeap agree with joeles sentiments.
Telstra, optus have both running in store these days so go have a play.
I'm a little bias to the iPhone cos everything else is harder to use (for me) ...but with a bit of playing on the S, it should be a snack as well.
And with my experience with samsung has been nothing but faultless with the products I've used.

danny
17-08-2010, 8:28pm
One small problem with the new iphone... you can't get hold of one of them and I have been trying.

Cheers
Danny

ricktas
17-08-2010, 8:35pm
I have played with an Android phone and prefer the iPhone. Maybe is is just the familiarity of the iPhone, I have had one since Gen 1 (from the US), but I personally prefer the iPhone. Though I think it really comes down the personal preference, from what I can tell they both offer similar features and available apps etc.

ricktas
17-08-2010, 8:37pm
One small problem with the new iphone... you can't get hold of one of them and I have been trying.

Cheers
Danny

Still plenty of them around Hobart.

41jas
17-08-2010, 8:44pm
With the apps Rick, I was told the Samsung has around 3000 and the iphone has like 10,000. But then again...what would you want?
There's a 6-8 week waiting list here I was told. That was through an Optus Yes store.
I guess of course it is up to you (me) and I'm wondering if I just get a phone that takes a decent photo.???:confused013

ricktas
17-08-2010, 8:49pm
Apps. Consider this, there are thousands of programs out there that you can install on your computer. How many have you got installed and how many of those do you use regularly? Yes there are thousands of Apps, but I reckon most people have maybe 10 they use regularly.

ollie
17-08-2010, 9:03pm
iPhone 3gs + Photoshop express = fun

joele
17-08-2010, 9:41pm
With the apps Rick, I was told the Samsung has around 3000 and the iphone has like 10,000. But then again...what would you want?

Actually...

There are now around 110,000 apps on the Android market, it is growing at an insane rate these days..

And there are currently around 245,000 apps on the Apple iPhone market...

iPhone 3gs + Photoshop express = fun

Yes this is a free app on the Android market too.. :th3: for Adobe for making it free...

etherial
17-08-2010, 10:13pm
Android power all the way. I have a HTC Desire and I LOOOVE it!

danny
17-08-2010, 11:27pm
Still plenty of them around Hobart.

wow you are kidding non here in Goulburn (not a big surprise) non in the national capital either.

I'm happy to what if I have to though.

Cheers
Danny

ricktas
18-08-2010, 9:00am
My top used Apps (in no particular order)

* Photocalc - Lots of camera related info about settings, includes sunset/sunrise times etc (what every landscaper needs)
* Motion GPS - Good and cheap GPS system that includes walking tracks etc as well as roads
* Pocket Weather - Good weather App
* Tapatalk - Forum App that AP is setup to run in, makes browsing forums easy
* CommBank App - get balances, do transfers, pay bills
* ABC - News, can even watch live news
* Around me -find the nearest cafe, atm, pharmacy, pub, petrol station and more
* HD Cam, lets me sync iPhone and iPad and control iPhone camera from iPad and save the photos on the iPad
* Plants Vs Zombies - addictive game

All up I have just under 50 apps on my phone, some I use rarely, but they are handy, like my health insurance company one, the AusPost one, which lets me use B-Pay on my phone etc. I use them rarely, but they come in handy from time to time.

Yes there are thousands of Apps, but what percentage of those that you would use is really dependant on what you want to do with your phone.

campo
18-08-2010, 9:23am
I'm just about to get a HTC Desire (now that Nexus ones are basically impossible to get locally). I prefer Android over iOS as it comes from the open source world and I don't like being locked into an "eco-system" that is controlled by one company.

ricktas
18-08-2010, 9:46am
I'm just about to get a HTC Desire (now that Nexus ones are basically impossible to get locally). I prefer Android over iOS as it comes from the open source world and I don't like being locked into an "eco-system" that is controlled by one company.

Interesting, yet you buy a camera brand that has a unique lens mounting system, yes you can buy lenses from other makers, but so can you buy apps for other makers:confused013

MarkChap
18-08-2010, 10:25am
Jules, seems to me that the main thing you want here is a camera not a phone.

If it is a camera you want, it is a camera you should buy, seriously get yourself a pocket sized point and shoot,

campo
18-08-2010, 10:50am
Correct you are Rick, however it goes beyond the "app store".

With my Nikon cameras I'm not locked into having to use Nikon software on my computer. To activate an iPhone you need iTunes, to sync or transfer files you need iTunes (or at least have it installed on your computer for the 3rd party syncing tools).

I also have the choice of using industry standard cables (ie. USB / HDMI) rather then having to purchase proprietary connectors/docks etc...last time i checked, the closest iPhones have got to standard cables is a 3.5mm audio output.

I don't deny that Apple make great products, but as you may have guessed, nothing irks me more then having to buy proprietary cables or install proprietary software on all my computers every time I get a new device - hence why I lean towards the non-i-side of life.

Mr Zee
18-08-2010, 11:01am
And another consideration is you can't view websites that use flash player ...unless you jailbreak, I'm told.

Michaela
18-08-2010, 11:34am

If it is a camera you want, it is a camera you should buy, seriously get yourself a pocket sized point and shoot,

There's two reasons I want a camera in my phone:

1. I'm carrying my phone anyway, I'd rather not have a camera in my bag as well.
2. So I can upload photos I take straight to Facebook without having to go home to do it. It's great to be able to share photos of things that are around me, as they're happening, with my folks back in the US. They do the same thing, and that way we feel more in touch.

Just my 2¢ worth.

gerry
18-08-2010, 11:44am
Android power all the way. I have a HTC Desire and I LOOOVE it!

I agree, I have the HTC Desire, besides all the usual iphone vs desire rant crap the one thing that sold it for me was...its not produced by apple.:th3:

If you are in the market for the new iphone, don't rule out the HTC desire as an option, I also believe optus will also be releasing it soon too, currently only on Helstra (plan wise anyway, buying outright different kettle of fish)

campo
18-08-2010, 11:49am
currently only on Helstra (plan wise anyway, buying outright different kettle of fish)

Vodafone have the Google Nexus One available from their online store. The Nexus One is made by HTC and is basically identical to the HTC Desire minus the HTC software.

That said, Vodafone have sold out of the Nexus Ones...not sure when the next batch will come through.

The days of one manufacturer dominating the smart phone market are coming to an end...definitely worth looking around now.

41jas
18-08-2010, 12:11pm

You know Mark...I've been thinking of all options and that is one of them.
Can you sell me one cheap...LOL ;)

ricktas
18-08-2010, 12:14pm
in the end they are phones, they take photos and have apps that you can use. Just pick one and buy it...hehe

41jas
18-08-2010, 12:19pm
There's two reasons I want a camera in my phone:

1. I'm carrying my phone anyway, I'd rather not have a camera in my bag as well.
2. So I can upload photos I take straight to Facebook without having to go home to do it. It's great to be able to share photos of things that are around me, as they're happening, with my folks back in the US. They do the same thing, and that way we feel more in touch.

Just my 2¢ worth.

This is why I'm thinking a camera in a phone...It's all in one. especially when I use my main camera when it counts. It's just in case I haven't got that on me. Plus the phone I have is really bad and takes so many steps just to send a text and the camera on it you can't down the pics.
It's either putting up with that and buying a camera or buying one that will do both.
Ivan needs one to. He's using my old phone but needs a sim card which is a whole $2 worth. He doesn't use a phone much so he's happy with either phone just in case he needs to make a cal which is hardly ever.
I suppose I will work it out in the end.
It's like saying why do you need a ipad when you have a laptop? That's another story.

41jas
18-08-2010, 12:20pm
in the end they are phones, they take photos and have apps that you can use. Just pick one and buy it...hehe

I thought your great knowledge would help me Rick....

joele
18-08-2010, 1:23pm
Interesting, yet you buy a camera brand that has a unique lens mounting system, yes you can buy lenses from other makers, but so can you buy apps for other makers:confused013

I don't really want to get into this argument.. honestly I don't.. LOL...

BUT

You can only buy apps from other makers (developers) IF apple approves that their customers are allowed to have that application AND you can only buy those apps through Apples marketplace. Yes you can unlock your phone (jailbreak) and get software on in other ways but Apple say they will not honor you warranty then.. They also tried in America to apply the DMCA to go after people who jailbreak their phones (and help others to do so) but in a surprising move the American courts ruled against Apple.

ricktas
18-08-2010, 2:58pm
I don't really want to get into this argument.. honestly I don't.. LOL...

BUT

You can only buy apps from other makers (developers) IF apple approves that their customers are allowed to have that application AND you can only buy those apps through Apples marketplace. Yes you can unlock your phone (jailbreak) and get software on in other ways but Apple say they will not honor you warranty then.. They also tried in America to apply the DMCA to go after people who jailbreak their phones (and help others to do so) but in a surprising move the American courts ruled against Apple.

No argument here. I bought an iPhone and it works well for me. I don't really care what brand of phone anyone else owns or uses. Same as what brand of car my friends drive. They are my friends for who they are, not what brand of phone, car, camera or clothing they own or use.

joele
18-08-2010, 5:38pm
I bought an iPhone and it works well for me. I don't really care what brand of phone anyone else owns or uses. Same as what brand of car my friends drive. They are my friends for who they are, not what brand of phone, car, camera or clothing they own or use.

I agree 100%..

My only disagreement was with the idea that Apple is not a more closed ecosystem than most...

NikonUser
18-08-2010, 9:35pm
Another vote for the HTC Desire here.

I got mine a week ago and love it. I also own an iPod Touch. I much prefer the Android system to the iOS system. Much more customizable and I can just do 'more' with it.

Once pocket informant release their app for the Android system (next month hopefully) I'll be moving the iPod touch along...

Paul

joele
18-08-2010, 9:39pm
Once pocket informant release their app for the Android system (next month hopefully) I'll be moving the iPod touch along...

Ohh I didn't know they were going to do an Android release, I used their calendar app on WM for a few years... very nice..

adilucca
19-08-2010, 9:46am
I have the iPhone 3GS, my Son has the Samsung Galaxy S and a friend at work has the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is the pick of the bunch for me. The screen is beautiful and it feels and looks wonderful.

My Son insisted on NOT getting an iPhone (teenagers!?!) for no other reason than he wanted to be different. It's a nice phone and the screen is super bright but unless you want to fiddle around and configure it to exactly the way you want, I prefer the iPhone OS - much simpler. And I do not like the Apps Store for the Samsung.

A great app for the iPhone is TrueHDR which does a great job on simple HDR photos. Extends the usability of the camera and is real fun.

Cheers
Alan

mkooper
19-08-2010, 12:40pm
My vote goes to the Android, then iPhone. If iPhone, then must go with 4, because pervious version have a terrible camera. At least iPhone 4 has a 5MB camera.

I likethe HTC Android however... pick of the bunch.

Bear Dale
19-08-2010, 1:01pm
baaa I don't feel like a sheep for owning an iPhone 4 :)

Kerro
21-08-2010, 9:40am
Only have a 3G iPhone but love it because I can take my music with me, as it is an iPod too.

Culhwch
24-08-2010, 2:58pm
I'm seriously looking at the Galaxy S. I just don't know about the size of the thing. I liked it when phones were getting smaller, not bigger...

campo
24-08-2010, 3:10pm
Yesterday I just went from my trusty old nokia 6230 to a shiny and new HTC Desire. I have been very impressed thus far by it's speed, useability and all round good looks. Even though it's bigger then my old phone, it still fits nicely in my pocket.

Culhwch
24-08-2010, 3:44pm
Something I'm curious about, actually - I've never been on a plan, nor used mobile internet-y sort of things (my current phone is a technological dinosaur...) - how much data do people tend to use in a given month? I'm looking at plans and I honestly don't know if I'd need 100MB, 1GB, or more. 100MB certainly sounds a pitiful amount...

campo
24-08-2010, 4:24pm
Something I'm curious about, actually - I've never been on a plan, nor used mobile internet-y sort of things (my current phone is a technological dinosaur...) - how much data do people tend to use in a given month? I'm looking at plans and I honestly don't know if I'd need 100MB, 1GB, or more. 100MB certainly sounds a pitiful amount...

the plan i just went on comes with 1.2GB/month (it's a current deal by Telstra) although from research/heresay, a hundred megabytes is generally all you need (assuming you're not using you phone as a modem for your laptop etc. Bare in mind that these new smartphones have built in wifi so the moment I get home it uses my wifi instead of data on the plan. Similarly i could also set it up to use other wifi hotspot points too...

hackcessor
25-08-2010, 4:25pm
I have iPhone4 and 32gb iPad....I love them equally

My wife also has both and we don't leave home without them!

Boofhead
25-08-2010, 5:18pm
You know I love my iPad Julie-Anne, I had to go and get an iPhone 4. Sent down from Brisbane, bought through Telstra Business, plugged into iTunes to activate it and it killed my new phone! Luckily I am not too far from Apple at Robina so off I shoot and get a replacement phone from the store. The new iPhone is great, a bit quicker than my 3gs and the screen is brilliant. I don't know much about the other phones, have had various Nokias HTC's and Blackberries, but I do like my iPhone. Never had any problems with my old one which Cheryl has now. Hope this helps.

Borg2000
30-08-2010, 9:38pm
I agree with a fair amount that has been said

both phones are more or less the same i personally have an Samsung Galaxy and to be honest worst phone i have ever used. Samsung have placed limits on the android software which makes it difficult to work with at times and the fact that its stuck at cupcake is frustrating.

To me its all down to looks the iPhone is shiny and the droids are not so much but very universal

If your looking at a droid i would recommend HTC's and Motorola at this point in time but the iPhone is more or less the same...... unless your a developer =P or use a google account for just about everything.

So in short they both do exactly the same thing however you do not need an external program for the droid to upload/download to a PC/PPV and the likes.

Well thats my opinion anyway lol

41jas
30-08-2010, 9:48pm
I've been keeping up with the responses but I thought hard about it. I went and bought a Samsung 480i, touch screen and it has a 5mp camera. It can get in the net and seems to do what I want it to do.....for now anyway. I paid $179 for it which saves me being on a contract which would be dearer than just buying this phone outright. I'm sure people interested in iphones would find this thread interesting. I did. Not that it turned me against the decision. Costs made my mind up this time.
Thanks for your input. :th3:

Paul G
29-06-2011, 6:10pm
How has the 480 been going for you Jules? Do you wish you had bought the S or is the 480 doing okay?

I need to upgrade my very old Nokia sometime soon and I've been looking at the recently released Galaxy S2 but thought I'd see how the cheaper one is going for you.

AmyK
29-06-2011, 11:20pm
The 480 is running on Symbian isn't it? Not Andriod?

I got a HTC Desire S from work the other day and I love it :D Mark has my iPhone now, and he's really looking forward to when his Voda plan runs out in September so he can get a Samsung Galaxy...either Ace, S or S2.

41jas
29-06-2011, 11:54pm
I'm not happy with it at all. So I'm just wondering whether to go back to a button phone when I throw this one up against the wall...LOL.
I have herad of a lot of people really happy with the galaxy. Very happy. All depends on what you need it for I suppose. Who knows.

AmyK
30-06-2011, 12:07am
My sister has the 480T and she hates it too. It's a PITA to use...the scrolling is all backwards.

Get a HTC Wildfire or similar :) I have no idea what pre-paids Optus offer

ving
30-06-2011, 12:51am
Cheryl just got a sony xperia and i reckon its great. I will be getting a htc incredible s next tho. Read reviews...

Sent from my TR718D

AmyK
30-06-2011, 10:35am
I love the new Sony phone that just came out...its called the Sony Play. Instead of having a qwerty keyboard in the slide section, its got playstation controls. I've been playing crash bandicoot during my lunch breaks :P

Bennymiata
30-06-2011, 3:19pm
I've had my HTC Desire for almost a year now, and it's been excellent.
The camera in it is very good, and the photos come out really well on the PC, even when blown up full size.
It goes on the web, has Sat nav in it, and I even watch Foxtel on it.
The screen is excellent, and very comparable to to the i-Phone 4, and it's very easy to use.
One thing I really like with it, is that you can have 4 or 5 main screens, which you can just swipe across to look at, and you can have anything you want on any screen.
I've got shortcuts to my photos and videos, which can just be donwloaded from your PC via a USB cable, and lots of music too.
In fact, I have a set of Blutooth speakers in my office, and I can play my music from the phone to the speakers with no wires.
It also has an FM radio built into it, the list is endless.

I highly recommend the HTC Android phones.

Wilky
01-07-2011, 8:07pm
HTC Desire, works great easy to use.