PDA

View Full Version : Need Avice about FLASH sync Cord

leanneqld
16-08-2010, 2:24pm
I have a Canon EOS 550D and a sunpak PZ42X flash. I want to get the flash off camera but the flash does not have wireless capabilities so I'm looking at a flash sync Cord. I found some on Ebay "Off Camera Flash sync Cable Cord E-TTL CANON OC-E3 ".
One vendor says it's compatible with all manufacturers flash units...other vendors selling the same thing say it's compatible with canon speedlites but don't mention 3rd party flashes.
Can anyone recommend or advise if this will work or are there any other generic brands out there?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Off-Camera-Flash-sync-Cable-Cord-E-TTL-CANON-OC-E3-3-6M-/260599230644?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories

THanks

I @ M
16-08-2010, 5:07pm
Leanne, flex the credit card a bit more :D and buy a radio trigger / remote shutter release from yongnuo and enjoy cordless freedom.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RF-602-Wireless-Shutter-Release-Canon-550D-500D-/180547843491?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

leanneqld
16-08-2010, 11:50pm
thanks for that Andrew,,,I just spent the past few hours researching the wireless triggers and they appear to have an issue with the Sunpak and it's sleep mode, especially the YongNuo. I found another brand Phottix which on their website says it's compatible, yet on Ebay it doesn't include the PZ42X in the list of compatible flashes. I have emailed them to find out.

leanneqld
17-08-2010, 1:14pm
Update..I got a reply to my email, the Phottix Tetra radio triggers are not compatible with the sunpak flash. Back to the drawing board.

ving
17-08-2010, 1:20pm
there are other wireless jobs that probably will be. just do a bit of research, there are plenty of different brands :)
wireless would be the way to go if you can do it. :D

MarkChap
17-08-2010, 1:50pm
Leanne, the advantage of the Off Camera Cord is that you will retain ETTL, if your Sunpak flash works in the hot shoe on the camera it will work in the hot shoe on the cord.
The cord is really just an extension for the hot shoe.
The disadvantage is that you are limited by the length of your cord as to where you can position your flash off camera.

The advantage of the radio triggers is there is pretty much no limit as to where you can place your flash.
And of course the disadvantage is that you will lose the ETTL functions.

Can't speak for the RF_602's and Sunpak flash, but they do "wake up" a Canon flash.

Maybe you could catch up with a Brisbane member who has the triggers and try them for yourself on the flash.

I am pretty sure that Jules (JAS41) has the RF-602's

I @ M
17-08-2010, 2:29pm
RF-602 triggers won't wake up a Nikon flash from stand by but that is easily cured by turning the stand by mode off.
If the Sunpack flash will let you turn stand by off I think that the radio triggers are still going to be an advantage over the cord.
Losing ETTL when using radio triggers may be a disadvantage in some situations but if your main aim in getting the flash off camera is along the lines of set up portraits then having lights well away from the camera (further than a cord reaches) and setting everything manually is the best option to me.

leanneqld
17-08-2010, 10:43pm
Hi everyone, thanks for the input.
Done a lot of research and the sunpak will just not work with radio triggers. I have had a few replies from emails I have sent to manufacturers confirming this. The cable will be the go and I'll keep the e-ttl.

However.....I also have a yongnuo flash which i had bought for my pentax k200d. I tried it on the canon and it works in M mode, so I ordered a radio trigger and 2 receivers from yongnuo (ctr-301p) as this model works with both the canon and the pentax. I was tempted by the RF-602's but the pentax has sync speed issues with it and there was also a lot of debate about the canon or the nikon version being the "right"fit for the pentax.
Later on I can add another flash and utilise both receivers.

Phottix
19-08-2010, 1:38pm
This is a problem for many brands with TTL flashes - Sunpak, Sigma, Nissin, etc. The flashes do not trigger from the center pin on the hot shoe, but an alternate pin. Many older flash triggers have only one contact for the center pin - hence the problem.

TTL sync cords are great but limiting. They are a great way to get your feet wet in on-camera lighting. I would suggest trying to buy a straight cable, not a coiled one.

leanneqld
19-08-2010, 4:50pm
ahhh, thanks for that phottix..I have only seen the coiled cables so far so I will keep that in mind for when I am ready to buy one.

BradGC
21-08-2010, 3:40pm
Also i think u can get "transmitter / recievers" for on your hotshoe to make it wireless

leanneqld
01-09-2010, 8:16pm
Yay, my yongnuo wireless transmitter and receivers arrived today and I tested them on both my Fuji and Canon and they work :) Yet to test on my Pentax but should be right !

0Z320
08-09-2010, 8:35pm
My Yong Nuo wireless trigger burnt out within 5 minutes of using it with my
metz flash. I have yet to try with my 430ex II.....

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?