PDA

View Full Version : advice sought - promotional wedding images to suppliers

DavidG
16-08-2010, 8:36am
Hi All,

Im looking for a little advice.

I have been approached by several wedding service suppliers wanting images for promotion of their businesses. I have got model releases from the bride & groom.

What I wish to know is how to license these images to the respective venues.

Is there an agreement/license that I get the venue to sign as far as usage rights?

Should I watermark the images? I will get photographic credit and refferals but no $$.

Thanks in advance,

David

Longshots
16-08-2010, 7:44pm
Well to be honest although you may get told that you will get a credit, there will no doubt be "oh sorry we forgot/asked but it didnt happen, blah,blah, blah, etc etc" - sorry if I sound cynical, but too many experiences where the photographer is fighting for the only benefit of these arrangements, and inevitably its the first thing to be dropped.

So if there's no money involved, then whats the reason for doing this other than the feel good factor ?

Bear in mind that these suppliers are in a commercial business.

If they were charities I'd say go for it. But they're probably not :rolleyes:

I @ M
16-08-2010, 7:55pm
I have been approached by several wedding service suppliers wanting images for promotion of their businesses. I have got model releases from the bride & groom.

I will translate that to say that they want YOUR expertise to be representative of that which they wish to be charging large amounts of money for by supplying 'wedding services'.

David, start with a 5 figure quote for your services / images.
Unfortunately I think that will be the last that you hear from them.
You are probably just another in a long list of people that they are hoping to snare as easy prey.

DavidG
16-08-2010, 9:05pm
Im re-reading my initial post and wasn't clear. Sorry.

The wedding suppliers in question have supplied product/services to weddings I have shot. One venue is offering to make me the 2nd photographer on their suppliers list on their webpage.

Does this change anything ?

kiwi
16-08-2010, 9:12pm
I'd simply subtract the value you see in the advertising being provided from what you would normally charge

Longshots
17-08-2010, 8:25am
To answer DGP's updated info on your question - IMHO - NO.

DavidG
17-08-2010, 8:52am
thanks to all for your replies.