PDA

View Full Version : new to photography competition

a pocket full
15-08-2010, 8:10pm
Just wondering if someone can explain something to me please.

I just entered the new to photography competition and had to resize my photo to a much smaller size. I had no idea how to do it and because I left it so late I just quickly went to a free editing website and saved it smaller in there so that I could upload it.

Now that I've done that I can see that I have compromised on the quality of the picture. Not that its anything fantastic anyway but as I'd like to enter the competition again, I was wondering if someone can help me by explaining how to resize my photo in a way that dosn't compromise the quality. If that's possible.

Thanks!!

ricktas
15-08-2010, 8:14pm
The competition is now closed, it closed at 8.00 PM, and considering the low number of entries and the ongoing issues with rule breaches for this competition, the mods and I are presently discussing axing it, permanently!

However, to give you advice on resizing, we would need to know what software you are using.

Jeanette
15-08-2010, 8:20pm
;( that is so sad
and there is resizing information on the new to photography area...
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=14971&highlight=resizing
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=38105&highlight=resizing
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=63597&highlight=resizing

a pocket full
15-08-2010, 8:57pm
Oh that's really disappointing! I wondered if I was jumping in too soon considering I'm totally new and not at all talented like some others obviously are. But I figured what the heck, it's getting me thinking and it is for NEW people after all.

As for the resizing, I have got an older version of photoshop (v6).

Thanks jeanette, I'll check those links out.

ctorry
15-08-2010, 9:01pm
Hi Rick,

As you new member I really appreciate the new to photography competition. This is probably the only competion that I feel ok about entering.

I ask, on behalf of all other members that entered this competition (including myself), that you please keep this competition going.

IMHO the photographers submitting in the new to photography competition don't require a prize of any type other than having our photo's reviwed, voted on and the experience of the competition. I realise that we can all enter our photo's in the cc section to gain experience (which I highly value) but there is nothing like having a bit of fun and entering the competition.

Please keep it open.

ctorry.

ricktas
15-08-2010, 9:03pm
Oh that's really disappointing! I wondered if I was jumping in too soon considering I'm totally new and not at all talented like some others obviously are. But I figured what the heck, it's getting me thinking and it is for NEW people after all.

As for the resizing, I have got an older version of photoshop (v6).

Thanks jeanette, I'll check those links out.

We are working on a whole new series of competitions. Unfortunately the New to Photography competitions have caused more rule breaches than any other competition we have ever held. People are either not reading the rules, or trying to bypass them, resulting in an unprecedented number of disqualifications in each NTP competition. We are going to move away from that, to a whole new approach to the competitions on Ausphotography, where members will be 'graded' and cannot enter competitions below their experience level.

FallingHorse
15-08-2010, 9:08pm
I entered the first NTP comp but not the last one due to other commitments, sad to see it go but the grading idea sounds good.

ricktas
15-08-2010, 9:10pm
For info, in the three recent New To Photography competitions we have had to disqualify 36 entries. To put that in perspective, the last three Photo of the Week competitions have had 1 disqualification, the last three photo of the month competitions had 5 disqualifications.

ricktas
16-08-2010, 8:09am
Note also that we will run NTP competitions, but not monthly as has been done. We will continue to have them, just not as regularly as now.

Jeanette
16-08-2010, 8:32am
i appreciate Rick that the admin work on all those entries is a lot of work for you but i guess I saw that as part of the being new.. and the steps of learning .. and part of being New to Photography that there are steep learning curves..
so will be very disappointed if it closes as the message then to new photographers is we not worth the effort.... but when i saw how many you have had to go through I guess i see the drama involved... just not sure how to ease that burden ( i have entered 2 of the 3 due to busy life but managed to get them both in but did have to read up and get some help resizing) but i did it..

so fingers crossed we can give it another month ahead.. if not then us newies will have to get brave...

ricktas
16-08-2010, 8:37am
i appreciate Rick that the admin work on all those entries is a lot of work for you but i guess I saw that as part of the being new.. and the steps of learning .. and part of being New to Photography that there are steep learning curves..
so will be very disappointed if it closes as the message then to new photographers is we not worth the effort.... but when i saw how many you have had to go through I guess i see the drama involved... just not sure how to ease that burden ( i have entered 2 of the 3 due to busy life but managed to get them both in but did have to read up and get some help resizing) but i did it..

so fingers crossed we can give it another month ahead.. if not then us newies will have to get brave...

It depends how our work on the new competitions goes. As soon as we have everything in place for the changes we will implement them. If we are not ready to do so by the start of next month, you will get another NTPC at that time.

Jeanette
16-08-2010, 9:26am
;) thanks for your consideration Rick... I know you have to do what is best for the site and the wonderful people that put a lot of their own time in to run and moderate the site... it is very appreciated ...

ricktas
16-08-2010, 9:48am
;) thanks for your consideration Rick... I know you have to do what is best for the site and the wonderful people that put a lot of their own time in to run and moderate the site... it is very appreciated ...

Have a look at this (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=64584) and edit your details. We have already begun the process to 'grade' members.

Jeanette
16-08-2010, 10:18pm
thanks RIck :) appreciate your time .. had a lookies :)