PDA

View Full Version : Cheep prints

atky
15-08-2010, 5:42pm
Thought I have a look at some printing options today spent some money (not a lot) this is what I got.
First print as it looked on my monitor and theirs but how it printed (and was toled thats how it is). OK so it was big W and they were cheep but hay they could be something like what you see on there monitors, well I think so anyway.
O and I adjusted the images to represent the difference and think the representation is more than fair.
Before you say it I know you get what you pay for.
Just think if you supply some one with digital images what might they think.

Longshots
15-08-2010, 6:00pm
and do you calibrate your monitor ?

looks like a classic example of expecting your monitor to be exact, when its highly likely to need calibrating.

atky
15-08-2010, 6:11pm
So your saying my monitor and Big W monitor (Look the same) both need calibrating to suit the calibration of the Fuji equipment they use. Did I say where I get my Images printed normally do at least print the same as they look on my monitor so tell me who's needs calibrating mine Big W my usual printers or the printing equipment at Big W.
OK so lets shoot the messenger sorry I said anything I must be a knob I'll go and slide under a rock.

Shane.R
15-08-2010, 6:31pm
I recently had a print done via the internet. A company that brags about their expensive equipment. I gave them some negative feedback. They called my mobile and asked a few questions, he went on to say that it's my laptop. Well bugger me, if only we all had expensive calibrated monitors, that would make their job so much easier?.. NO! They all vary from contrast to light/exposure, it's a matter of finding the one that suits you, and stay with them. I do like my local Kodak lab, they will adjust the levels on screen to my desire.

Bear in mind that some online printers will have a calibrating program for you to download.

yummymummy
15-08-2010, 6:33pm
BigW are notorious for that! I've had problems with them, and so has a friend of mine, images come out too dark.. and yes it was on a calibrated monitor that the photos were processed ( both mine and my friends) needless to say, I don't go back to BigW anymore.. cheap yes.. but cheap and nasty

Longshots
15-08-2010, 7:04pm
So your saying my monitor and Big W monitor (Look the same) both need calibrating to suit the calibration of the Fuji equipment they use. Did I say where I get my Images printed normally do at least print the same as they look on my monitor so tell me who's needs calibrating mine Big W my usual printers or the printing equipment at Big W.
OK so lets shoot the messenger sorry I said anything I must be a knob I'll go and slide under a rock.

Hang on a minute, I simply suggested that a reason was that your monitor might not be calibrated !

Why take this attitude ?

Yes it is entirely possible that the Big W/Fuji system is not calibrated - thats another very possible option. Local users of Fuji systems dont always understand why they should calibrate regularly. I use a Harve Norman place that can regularly print brilliant 6 x 4's but ask them to print different sizes and because they havent set up their paper profiles correctly there is a considerable difference between the image densities between the different size prints

And no you didnt say where you got your images normally printed - so how would I know that ?

I cant see where offering a response means you react like that ! I wont bother again.

atky
15-08-2010, 7:10pm
Hang on a minute, I simply suggested that a reason was that your monitor might not be calibrated !

Why take this attitude ?

Yes it is entirely possible that the Big W/Fuji system is not calibrated - thats another very possible option. Local users of Fuji systems dont always understand why they should calibrate regularly. I use a Harve Norman place that can regularly print brilliant 6 x 4's but ask them to print different sizes and because they havent set up their paper profiles correctly there is a considerable difference between the image densities between the different size prints

And no you didnt say where you got your images normally printed - so how would I know that ?

I cant see where offering a response means you react like that ! I wont bother again.
My response may well seem wrong but read yours and see how it sounds.

ricktas
15-08-2010, 7:10pm

Whilst I get what you are saying in both your posts, William's question is an entirely valid one, and I don't think he was shooting the messenger, rather asking the question, is your monitor calibrated?

old dog
15-08-2010, 7:20pm
sounds about right what happened Steve. I got a small print done last week at big W and yes a bit darker than it should have been as per my pp`ing and what was on my monitor. I guess they are just darker with the processes they use. Bit hard calculating for that.

Longshots
15-08-2010, 7:24pm
My response may well seem wrong but read yours and see how it sounds.

Yep read mine again - here let me repeat what I said, because its a fairly logical response and the most obvious question. Cant for the life of me how it can be read any other way.

and do you calibrate your monitor ?

looks like a classic example of expecting your monitor to be exact, when its highly likely to need calibrating.

I have no problem with helping you seek a solution. There's no case of shooting the messenger. Hey, I could be quite wrong. You have a problem, and to find a solution to the problem its logical to seek out what is or isnt being done in the digital to print work flow.

So first and most obvious question which you took such offence at - do you calibrate your monitor ?

And FYI, if you want more help on this you can get some good assistance at - www.apdig.com
The Australian Photographic Digital Imaging Guidelines

which I'm coauthor of

Adrian Fischer
15-08-2010, 7:34pm
Ive used my local Harvey Norman at Aspley with no issues. It took me a while to realise that what you see on your screen and what is printed are two different things. I have two calibrated screens and find that I have still have to overbrighten/expose in PP to get good results in print. I dont use HN any more but not because of quality.

Steve Axford
15-08-2010, 7:40pm
I'm not sure that monitor calibration is the answer here. Screen displays use emission colours, printing uses absorption colours. This means that a print will always be a bit darker than the screen display. I think you need to do some test prints to find the right brightness.

Riverlander
15-08-2010, 7:44pm
When you use BigW it is important that you tell their machine "No colour correction" - or whatever exactly the wording is. Did you do that?

I, and many of my friends, have had very good results at their Renmark store.

kiwi
15-08-2010, 7:53pm
Ive used my local Harvey Norman at Aspley with no issues. It took me a while to realise that what you see on your screen and what is printed are two different things. I have two calibrated screens and find that I have still have to overbrighten/expose in PP to get good results in print. I dont use HN any more but not because of quality.

i dont get that, i would have hoped that you get what I get - the print looks exactly like my screen image

Longshots
15-08-2010, 7:57pm
I'm not sure that monitor calibration is the answer here. Screen displays use emission colours, printing uses absorption colours. This means that a print will always be a bit darker than the screen display. I think you need to do some test prints to find the right brightness.

While I didnt say it was the answer, its certainly the first question.

And regardless of that simple difference of viewing both different mediums (and in properly controlled print viewing booth) a well managed lab, (and they're not always that much more expensive) Digilab in Brisbane is a good example where I can depend on getting a print that is going to match my monitor. So a good system doesnt mean that you will always have a difference between print and screen.

And BTW I calibrate every week, not because I do a great deal of prints, but because I need to be able to place a great degree of faith in delivering digital images to my commercial clients that they ca, Mon trust. Is there always a big difference between before and after calibrating - no. It depends on the quality of which screen My Dell screens tend to have more "movement" on them then the Eizos. And again its worth saying that most people would not see the difference as its such a negligible amount.

Longshots
15-08-2010, 7:59pm
When you use BigW it is important that you tell their machine "No colour correction" - or whatever exactly the wording is. Did you do that?

I, and many of my friends, have had very good results at their Renmark store.

Thanks - this would have been one of my next questions once I'd got the answer (without the over reaction).

This is a piece of advice well worth repeating.

The important thing is to take one question at a time to find the problem.

atky
15-08-2010, 8:55pm
Yep read mine again - here let me repeat what I said, because its a fairly logical response and the most obvious question. Cant for the life of me how it can be read any other way.

I have no problem with helping you seek a solution. There's no case of shooting the messenger. Hey, I could be quite wrong. You have a problem, and to find a solution to the problem its logical to seek out what is or isnt being done in the digital to print work flow.

So first and most obvious question which you took such offence at - do you calibrate your monitor ?

And FYI, if you want more help on this you can get some good assistance at - www.apdig.com
The Australian Photographic Digital Imaging Guidelines which I'm coauthor of
Thanks for the advice.
I may of read more into your response than was intended.
I get acceptable results from Roll On in Colonnades. I just for the sake of knowing I was getting good value thought I would try Big W Colonnades, they both use Fuji. I was not necessarily asking for help I was just trying to point out the difference ore variation that can exist between different printers and the danger of supplying digital images to customers.
I also can spend some time PP Images so would not ask a machine to make some adjustments to what I have already adjusted.

bigdazzler
16-08-2010, 7:18am
BigW are notorious for that! I've had problems with them, and so has a friend of mine, images come out too dark.. and yes it was on a calibrated monitor that the photos were processed ( both mine and my friends) needless to say, I don't go back to BigW anymore.. cheap yes.. but cheap and nasty

OK ... Well in this instance im gonna defend Big W. Well at least my local store anyway.

I use a backlit 24" imac, it is not calibrated. (Will get around to it one day :o)
After processing, I ALWAYS check my histogram channels and make sure everything is sitting nicely, and ready for final save and output for print.

My Big W prints are bang on to what I see on my monitor, side by side comparisons prove it.

Maybe Im just lucky :confused013:)

I think sometimes its a little simpler than the calibration issue. I think by default some people think that what they see on the screen is how your prints will render .. just because.
A lot of "my print is too dark" issues arise from your pictures looking well exposed on the screen but not necessarily in the levels and the histogram. Doing a final check after PP is a handy habit to get into.

Steve Axford
16-08-2010, 7:32am
While I didnt say it was the answer, its certainly the first question.

And regardless of that simple difference of viewing both different mediums (and in properly controlled print viewing booth) a well managed lab, (and they're not always that much more expensive) Digilab in Brisbane is a good example where I can depend on getting a print that is going to match my monitor. So a good system doesnt mean that you will always have a difference between print and screen.

And BTW I calibrate every week, not because I do a great deal of prints, but because I need to be able to place a great degree of faith in delivering digital images to my commercial clients that they ca, Mon trust. Is there always a big difference between before and after calibrating - no. It depends on the quality of which screen My Dell screens tend to have more "movement" on them then the Eizos. And again its worth saying that most people would not see the difference as its such a negligible amount.
All good stuff, but most people don't have a properly calibrate-able screen, nor a controlled environment. That leaves them with little choice but to do the best they can and then use other methods. Still, you are right, that is the first question.

bigdazzler
16-08-2010, 7:33am
but most people don't have a properly calibrate-able screen, nor a controlled environment. That leaves them with little choice but to do the best they can and then use other methods.

and in this situation .. your histogram is your best friend. Works well enough for me.

41jas
16-08-2010, 8:40am
I have come across this situation, not with BigW but with Harvey Norman. I use two Harvey Normans. One that is a tad closer started getting dark. She swore black and blue I needed to calibrate my monitor. Yes I might and never had it done BUT I go to the store that's in the different direction a tad further away and I walk out a happy chappy. Spot on what I see on my monitor. So what do you do. Calibrate or go to the one further away. I'll take the later.

Erin
18-08-2010, 11:42pm
I use Digital Works for my printing. I can pretty much guess how my prints will turn out because I've had a bunch of stuff done through them and they are always consistent. If you can't really calibrate your monitor, choose a single place for prints, get a bunch of prints done and adjust your images using those prints as a colour guide. Then you should be able to get what you expect, more or less.