PDA

View Full Version : Monopods

Roof
23-09-2007, 9:33am
I was in the shop yesterday wanting to buy a Monopod.

There is quite a assortment of these things. My question is.

1. Do people use monopods a lot ?

I only want one for Macro as my 70-300 is kinda heavy and i have a hard time holding it still in Macro mode.

2. What kind of head do you have on it ?

I wanted to buy a small manfrotto with a ballhead, The head didn't fit on the monopod and i had to go for the bigger Monopod, Which i didn't want, The idea is if and when i want to travel i'd like to try and keep things small.

Hop this all makes sense.

Cheers

Roof

Harves
23-09-2007, 10:13am
I don't have a monopod yet, have thought about purchasing one, but like you, I'm not sure what to get.

I too will be interested in this thread.

Briancd
23-09-2007, 10:21am
A monopod relies on you holding it still. For macro work I would think they were not ideal. A solid tripod is the way to go. I have mine in tha car all the time and it is more steadier than just hand held.

Seesee
23-09-2007, 6:07pm
Personally I wouldn't bother, I have one, used it a few times and now it just sits there, they aren't the cure all, probably an asset at car race shots or similar....but :confused:

I bought it simply to transport on hikes as it has less weight, but my tripod although a bit heavier is a much better option overall, and lugging the extra bit of weight is worthwhile. Get yourself a half decent tripod is my advice, there are lots to choose from and opinions on which to get is like holdens and fords but as a rule manfrotto seems to get good marks, though at a higher price. You can pays lots for a pro tripod which will be heavy to carry, it is generally said that the heavier they are the more sturdy they will be and result in less camera shake with big lenses........however

{ I have and love my cheapish tripod of $140.00 from Teds, a Velbon Sherpa 450R, serves my purpose very well with 300 to 400 reach lenses, maybe room for improvement....but I haven't found it to be a problem and can take it anywhere ??? }

hoffy
23-09-2007, 7:42pm
one thing that has always bothered me about buying a monopod (I have tried, but I dont even see the need & I do a bit of motorsports as well!!) is why do you need a complicated &/or expensive head? You want to tilt back, you tilt back. I suppose the only reason would be portrait orientated photo's but thats it.

I have, though been tempted to buy a cheap plastic one. If all you are using a mono for is to support the weight, that should work fine (but I have flash & tripod to buy before then)

Seesee
23-09-2007, 7:47pm
one thing that has always bothered me about buying a monopod (I have tried, but I dont even see the need & I do a bit of motorsports as well!!) is why do you need a complicated &/or expensive head? You want to tilt back, you tilt back. I suppose the only reason would be portrait orientated photo's but thats it.

I have, though been tempted to buy a cheap plastic one. If all you are using a mono for is to support the weight, that should work fine (but I have flash & tripod to buy before then)

Couldn't agree more about the function of a monopod, if you want one at all buy a cheapie as it does exactly the same thing as an expensive one...different story with tripods maybe but a monopod is just a stick to support weight and that's about it.

Roof
23-09-2007, 8:56pm
Thanks for the advice people, I do have an old tripod that came with my movie camera that i bought about 7 years ago. It's just i dont have a problem holding stil left to right it's up and down that's the problem for me and only with my 70-300 lens on it. So i thought a monopod should solve that problem.

I was/am thinking about this one.

334B AUTOMATIC MONOPOD BLACK, Let me see if i can get the link in
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2374

And really it's about $141.00 in most stores, I just wanted to know if people really think it's usefull. Also thinking about making my own, Still need to have a good think about all of this.

Thanks for the advice......

And yes it is only a stick.....

Cheers

Roof.

Helen S
23-09-2007, 9:20pm
I have a Velbon monopod that gets used on a fairly regular basis and like my tripod, goes with me everywhere in the car. I have the same head on it as I do on my Velbon tripod, a pan head. My only reason for this is to keep the quick release plates the same on both tripod and monopod without having to screw and unscrew bits all the time.

Knawful
23-09-2007, 9:28pm
I have a 680b and screw it either into the lens mount or into the camera body, you dont need a head with a monopod...
It'd "look" pro, pure eye candy and overkill in my book's. :)

They're good as a walking stick too...I use mine heap's.

Seesee
23-09-2007, 10:15pm
lol lol.....yep they do make a good walking stick, snake deterrent, but then so does a stick lol

Ronbo
24-09-2007, 3:12am
because I have an incredible lack of balance I use mine all the time.....

between my two legs and the monopod it makes my camera just steady enough to take shots in good lighting....any less lighting out comes the tripod.

I do have a basic ball head on mine...so it's much easier to drop it into portrait aspect rather than trying to hold the monopod to the side or having to take it off.

I would recommend that if you have the finances and the desire to get one...get a carbon fibre version as they will be lighter and stronger.

Roof
24-09-2007, 6:23am
because I have an incredible lack of balance

I would recommend that if you have the finances and the desire to get one...get a carbon fibre version as they will be lighter and stronger.

That's my problem too Ronbo, As i said earlier it's no problem left to right, That's pretty good but up down is not that steady. And only with the 300 lens on it. If you look on My Stuff the slow shutter foto's all have been taken with a Nikon 5700(Smaller Camera) and NO tripod, I just parked myself against some object that worked. With the camera now i'm going up and down like a bloody yo-yo.

Carbon fibre would be a bit more expensive that a alliminium one.......I'll see thanks for the advise..

Cheers

Roof

Roof
24-09-2007, 6:26am
My only reason for this is to keep the quick release plates the same on both tripod and monopod without having to screw and unscrew bits all the time.

Now that makes a lot of sense, And i was thinking to do the same. It's too bad that all of this stuff is so freakin expensive, But than again on the other hand if you take care of your stuff it should last for years....

Cheers

Roof

MarkW
24-09-2007, 1:43pm
Roof,
I purchased a carbon fibre mono off the web a few months ago - its a cheapy at $80 odd, but it not really there for continuious use - more for my up-coming trip to the UK as I wont be taking the big tripod with me (too heavy). Its a convenient length at about 1.4m but folds up really small at about 36omm in 5 sections.

As for using a head on a tripod - I first thought that you don't really need one - wrong - the tilt that you need for anything more than a few degrees off the horizontal is too much for just tilting the monopod. So I purchased a Manfrotto 234 monopod tilt head which is relatively small and only gives tilt in a single plane. For portrait orientation of the camera I have a Kirk L plate on the camera and Arca Swiss plates on everything - works a treat.

As I'm travelling reasonably light, I am taking a small table like tripod - a Velbon Ultra Maxi SF (called an ULTRA-LUXi-SF on web site) for use when taking time exposures at night. This one has the same multi-stop leg features that my large manfrotto has yet the complete unit is only 350mm in length when folded.

Helen S
24-09-2007, 2:50pm
...you dont need a head with a monopod...

...unless you have quick-release plates on your lens mounts as well as your cameras. ;)

Seesee
24-09-2007, 10:33pm
Like Osprey[ Helen} my monopod has a quick release mounting plate that also fits my Velbon tripod, no swapping around having to unscrew plates...too easy and very handy like that.

I have a cheap Tamron monopod for $60.00, extends to 1.8 metres down to .45 metres and the head rotates 90 degrees to the side which apart from portrait aspect is also handy for attatching camera and laying monopod flat on the ground with camera level for macro shots or similar. Also has a spirit bubble for levelling, may be handy possibly.....or at least for a quick alcohol fix....medicinal purposes only :rolleyes:

Roof
25-09-2007, 8:36am
I have a cheap Tamron monopod for $60.00,

I'm still looking around, If i can ask Colin, Where did you buy that monopod.
Don't seem to find any info about it.

Cheers

Roof

cwphoto
10-12-2007, 11:18pm
...unless you have quick-release plates on your lens mounts as well as your cameras. ;)

Same here. The other thing I like in a monpod is one that is compact AND can open up to above my head - the 5-section carbon fibre from Gitzo is like that.

ricktas
11-12-2007, 6:14am
Yep, mine has quick release plate as well. Makes it really easy to swap camera's, its always ready to go, and it makes a great walking stick when hiking..:D

Seesee
13-12-2007, 5:40pm
I'm still looking around, If i can ask Colin, Where did you buy that monopod.
Don't seem to find any info about it.

Cheers

Roof

Sorry Roof I missed this question, my apologies. I got mine off ebay and when it comes to monopods I think this is great, aluminium construction, full 6 foot height, good neoprene grip, rubber and spike foot etc etc. Model Tamron Action Monopod MP-1.

I honestly see zero point in spending big on something as basic as a monopod, tripod may be a different story.

enduro
13-12-2007, 7:03pm
I haven't read the whole thread yet ...

Monopods do have their uses, though a tripos with thei legs closed up can provide just as much benefit, though weight may be an issue.

Monos are great for reducing vertical movement associated with a heavy lens leaving you with horizontal (and front and back) movement to deal with. This can be particulary good for panning or fast shutter speeds needed for macro work.

If you are into landscape photography leave your mono at home as it is unlikely you will get good results with the shutter speeds required for a high F/# (great DOF).

Roof
13-12-2007, 7:42pm
Sorry Roof I missed this question, my apologies. I got mine off ebay and when it comes to monopods I think this is great, aluminium construction, full 6 foot height, good neoprene grip, rubber and spike foot etc etc. Model Tamron Action Monopod MP-1.

I honestly see zero point in spending big on something as basic as a monopod, tripod may be a different story.

You're right mate, I think i want one also for the use as a walking stick and helpfull other things.......I bought a manfrotto tripod which i am extrmely happy with.....But going to NZ next year it's the weight......That is sort of a problem....

I would like to get a manf monopod with the same head as on my tripod 804lalala whaevere it is.........QR things , you know what i mean....

And what you're saying Enduro i admit yes works well.....i do have a big problem using the 300mm lens swaying up and down not the right words but you know what i'm getting at , These things are heavy....

I go around in the stores one of these day's and say if i can score myself a bargain...

Cheers fellas

enduro
13-12-2007, 9:10pm
our local shopping centre has a stall tha sells all sorts or cheap asian imports. They have various$50 tripods all with QR's: walking sticks, platform based, level bubble etc.

If you shop around you should be able to find something.

Roof
14-12-2007, 7:57am
our local shopping centre has a stall tha sells all sorts or cheap asian imports. They have various$50 tripods all with QR's: walking sticks, platform based, level bubble etc.

If you shop around you should be able to find something.

Yeah i'll find something, Thanks again guys...

MarkW
14-12-2007, 8:42am
Roof
Are you comfortable with purchasing through eBay?

I did a search this morning and there were 61 entries ranging from Manfrotto to cheapies in aluminium or carbon fibre. There should be something there which suits your needs.

The search I used is http://search.ebay.com.au/monopod_W0QQcatrefZC5QQfclZ3QQfromZR9QQfromZR9QQfrppZ100QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfssZ0QQfstypeZ1QQga10244Z10425QQnojsprZyQQsaaffZafdefaultQQsabfmtsZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsacq yopZgeQQsacurZ0QQsaobfmtsZexsifQQsaslopZ1QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEFSRCHQ3aSRCH

Roof
14-12-2007, 8:58am
Thanks Mark,

I am comfortable buying through e-bay but i like to go to a store and hold it before i buy and then just pay for it and take it home.......But yeah i had a look on e-bay and i still think i'll go to a store.........But thanks anyway..

jeffde
09-03-2008, 8:26pm
Hi

I have a goldphoto monopod which was about $70-00 from camerahouse.
I like Monopods as it helps me with stability when a tripod is inconvenient.
Being in the crowd at the car races (and lots of crown type places) makes a Tripod impossible as it takes up to much room. It certainly helps with keeping it stable in at least one direction.
If your into sport buy 1, they don't replace a tripod, but make a handy addition to the kit.
More money usually m eans less weight!!!

Jeff

Kodak DX7590
New Feb 2008 : Canon EOS 400D (still figuring out); 18-55mm; 90-300mm, UV Filters; Tripod, Monopod.

Impossible things are simply those which so far have never been done.
- Elbert Hubbard :action66: