PDA

View Full Version : Digital Holga (Yashica EZ F521) Review

clipper79
11-08-2010, 6:40pm
Just got this the other day from a shop in Singapore. It is termed the "Digital Holga" for the same reason as the film based one one little plastic toy camera.

First impression: Very light, compact, fiddly controls, plastic-ee and it is pocketable. Very easily modified and you can even play around with different lenses if you know how to take it apart and stick a diana lens on it. It is cheap, so you do not have to worry about breaking it, or even messing it up if you take it apart. There are many modification techniques out there, and all you need is to google them up. Basically, this tiny toy is built to have fun, and make photography fun :)

Specifications: Shoots at 5MP but interpolates to 12MP. No it does not shoot RAW (but who the heck cares? It is a toy). If you want to take this camera seriously, you will be sorely disappointed. There is a viewfinder, but does not "sync" with the picture taken. Basically it is put there for show. Lens is fixed at 40-ish mm plastic lens. Flash??? Who needs one? So shoot with this during the day time. There is a small screen behind, but forget about high resolution. The camera does not have a shutter technically, so it takes photos by a "scanning process" on the sensor. Hence you can take some fancy wobbly looking effects with it. Takes on SDHC and SD cards :) So happy shooting!

What amazes me about this tiny little fella is it's in-built photo editing software. Yes it does in-camera editing. There are a few different kinds of art filters in here which you can "cross-process" your taken shots in-camera. Bye bye photoshop.

I shot a few shots taken with it,... will post more up soon.

The shots:
The in-camera "cross process" effect.
Simulating cross-processed film, applied a mix of in-camera art filter effects. Contrast > Cool > Warm > Warm > Sunset.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4556060811_d1e3fe33c3_z.jpg

Shot with a modification of a black donut shaped card "fitted" under the lens.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/4556060815_0467c1c4f9_z.jpg

Bring down the EV to -1, the colours automatically become a little more punchy that usual
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3615/4556060819_3d4126cef7_z.jpg

Great for street shooting too :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/4562933224_e8da39d6f9_z.jpg

Conclusion: Is it a digital holga? Well almost. I will still keep the one I have.

JM Tran
11-08-2010, 6:58pm
you should mention how much u got it for too:)

Kym
11-08-2010, 7:03pm
The whole point of the Holga is to take photo's quickly, cheaply and easily, which digital does in spades.

I don't get it? I mean if you want crappy digital images use your phone :p
or use your normal Digital Camera and PS !! ;)

clipper79
11-08-2010, 7:03pm
you should mention how much u got it for too:)

I rather not,... as it is not a buy and sell section. I think the price is rather affordable,... you can get it off japan exposures or even ebay. Prices should not exceed AUD120.

clipper79
11-08-2010, 7:04pm
The whole point of the Holga is to take photo's quickly, cheaply and easily, which digital does in spades.

I don't get it? I mean if you want crappy digital images use your phone :p
or use your normal Digital Camera and PS !! ;)

Very true Kim,... just incase you want to print larger prints. Most PnS do not even come close to this in terms of flaws :P And you would not take apart your pns like this one.

JM Tran
11-08-2010, 7:10pm
I rather not,... as it is not a buy and sell section. I think the price is rather affordable,... you can get it off japan exposures or even ebay. Prices should not exceed AUD120.

ummm not really, u are not selling or promoting your business or anything, it is useful for people to read a review and know how much and/or where to get it from. I have done it when I did a review for wireless flash triggers and stated the price I bought it for - it was very handy for AP members to read and know where to get it from. I dont see what the problem is, even for the moderators. *personal comment removed - admin*

sanpedro667
30-10-2010, 1:13am
I will be travelling to Singapore in December can anyone suggest camera stores that are likely to stock this camera?

JM Tran
30-10-2010, 4:33am
ok, sorry (if you must know),... i got mine for SGD100 from a mass order organised by another photo forum in Singapore, called clubsnap.

And besides,... I would not say that I am not being helpful. I owe no one with a review done out of my own will too, for the benefit of many (and I do not need anyone to pull my arm to the back, to reveal every single detail of the test). I am just reviewing this as a casual user of the camera. Whatever price anyone is willing to pay for a little toy like this is regardless, hence no point bring it up. This camera as some has mentioned is pointless in buying, so I would only expect those who are wanting to get their hands in one are toy camera enthusiasts and also people who will buy this out of impulse.

ummm, thats a pretty cruddy reasoning there. if you bothered to write a review, to which I do appreciate it. Just state how much u bought it for and where. Jesus Christ why get so defensive and come up with meaningless reasons to not add another paragraph extra?

Whatever price anyone is willing to pay for a little toy like this is regardless, hence no point bring it up

Because, look below

I will be travelling to Singapore in December can anyone suggest camera stores that are likely to stock this camera?

voila, a new member just asked you a question regarding the camera. If you did not state the price, the user would have needed to ask you that anyway, sooner or later. Now would you answer the member's question? Or you wont since you also added that it is pointless in buying etc.

I'll say this again, in the future - be helpful. Dont be aloof. Dont get all defensive about trivial matters.

ricktas
30-10-2010, 7:14am
Good result, I like playing with these 'toy' cameras. Yes you can put the price up and where you got it, you have over 50 posts and 30 days membership, so you are allowed to.

ricktas
30-10-2010, 7:17am
Jackie. Have a 3 week break from AP, you attitude towards the other member in this thread, is not how we do things around here, and you know it