PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity :::

bigdazzler
11-08-2010, 4:24pm
Just had an enquiry for a job, asking for a quote for a 2-day shoot in the Sydney CBD, photographing buses and the advertising that is on display in the windows/rear windscreens etc ... No further info so far.

Basically hanging around bus stops and streets photographing buses from the sounds of it :confused013 Im a little perplexed at what the actual brief is and what they are after to be honest, but of course ill be seeking out all that info plus more before I agree to do it. And further, are there any issues with photographing other peoples/companies advertising, particularly if the client wants to use these images commercially ? (I dont know yet what they want the pictures for :confused013)

Anyways ... they are asking for 2 days worth of shooting (unsure of how many hours per day yet) and unlimited usage rights to the photos.

I was thinking I would quote an hourly rate for the shooting + a one-off fee for usage. Sound about right ?? If so, what ballpark figure should I be looking at for the usage rights to the pictures ?? I have no real idea what those photos would be worth, and what is a fair price to ask for relinquishing the photos for unlimited use ? Help appreciated. Thankyou :)

kiwi
11-08-2010, 4:57pm
Pass - but, if me id charge $1000 per 7.5 hour day + expenses and they get the images for unlimited useage with you retaining copyright

bigdazzler
11-08-2010, 5:06pm
Im not really excited by it either mate .. but if they come back with dates that happen to be on my days off Ill consider it for a bit of pocket money. Ill take just about anything with a wedding and a month in Europe coming up :D

Thats pretty well along the lines I was thinking $$$ wise .... so youd factor in the usage license into the day rate ??

Steve Axford
11-08-2010, 5:18pm
Er - why do you want to retain the copyright?

bigdazzler
11-08-2010, 5:30pm
Im not sure if youre responding to me or kiwi Steve .... So youre suggesting to charge a per hour/day rate, factor in the © to the digital files, and be done with it ?? Im OK with that too .. Im not overly fussed about retaining © on pictures of buses. I was just trying to get a feel of how others would approach it.

kiwi
11-08-2010, 5:34pm
I dunno really Steve, sounds good tho, lol

Steve Axford
11-08-2010, 5:47pm
Take the money and run - if you can get it. It may be quite good practice and very low stress.

Wayne
11-08-2010, 6:08pm
Wanting unlimited use rights, suggests they may be going to on-sell them. I would seek to retain © and if only charging the $1K per day, include the clause that they cannot sell the images.

bigdazzler
11-08-2010, 7:15pm
Absolutely Wayne, that will be my first question when I discuss it further. That was kinda what I was alluding to in the OP .. If the client wants me to relinquish © entirely, what is a fair and reasonable price for them to pay me for the privilege ??

How bout an agreement like shooting time + unlimited usage for the paying client only + photographer retains ©, and images cannot be sold = $xxxxx per hour/per day.

If they want full ownership, Ill double it :D

jasevk
11-08-2010, 7:30pm
Grand a day sounds good, could even bump it up a little for unlimited use.... Sounds like a reasonably easy cash grab daz

Wayne
11-08-2010, 7:32pm
How bout an agreement like shooting time + unlimited usage for the paying client only + photographer retains ©, and images cannot be sold = $xxxxx per hour/per day.

If they want full ownership, Ill double it :D

I like your maths!

jasevk
11-08-2010, 7:33pm
I wouldn't see ant issue photographing advertising on a bus, how many cityscapes do you see with signage and ads in them.... I may be wrong - I have been many times before lol

Maybe they aren't even going to use the images for anything other than some kind of research???

bigdazzler
11-08-2010, 7:54pm
yea im not quite sure at this stage jase ... ill need to sit tight and get some more info off them, hopefully tomorrow.

Fantasyphoto
11-08-2010, 8:21pm
Cop "Excuse me sir, what are you doing?"

Dazzler "Photographing buses for $1,000 a day"

Cop "Right you are, would you like to come with me, I have some friends who would like a chat with you"

Dazzler "Where are we going?"

Cop "To a nice large building where they will give you a white coat that fastens from behind"

Lucky you getting to photograph something that moves, I get to photograph buildings and everyone is surprised because the images are sharp.... much sharper than using the phone. :lol:

bigdazzler
11-08-2010, 8:29pm
Cop "Excuse me sir, what are you doing?"

Dazzler "Photographing buses for $1,000 a day"

Cop "Right you are, would you like to come with me, I have some friends who would like a chat with you"

Dazzler "Where are we going?"

Cop "To a nice large building where they will give you a white coat that fastens from behind"

Dazzler "Ohhhh hang on heres comes a bus ... just let me pan it and then ill go quietly"

:D

It is a strange request isnt it ... Im curious to find out more.

Fantasyphoto
11-08-2010, 10:48pm
Perhaps the gig comes with it's own camera mounted in a Ford Territory.

dbax
11-08-2010, 10:53pm
:lol::lol:
wish I was still living in Sydney....no :action:no I didnt say that ...slap

bigdazzler
11-08-2010, 11:31pm
Perhaps the gig comes with it's own camera mounted in a Ford Territory.

mmmm ... dont get me started on that mate :action::rolleyes:

Redgum
12-08-2010, 12:45am
Hate to spoil a good gig but who owns the rights to the ads on the back of the bus?
Looks like photographers in Sydney are expendable.
And you can't access Aus Photography from Long Bay either. :)

Steve Axford
12-08-2010, 7:35am
Hard to see how there'd be a problem if you didn't have the copyright. :)

kiwi
12-08-2010, 7:38am
i bet its just an advertising company wanting a) pics of their own ads and b) competitors adds for their own use

I cant imagine why they'd be used for secondary or commercial reasons

Just be a hired gun and hand over the images I think

Steve Axford
12-08-2010, 8:16am
Anyway, it would be quite unusual for someone to sue you (that's not criminal, is it?) for spreading their advertisement to a wider audience.

Redgum
12-08-2010, 8:21am
Anyway, it would be quite unusual for someone to sue you (that's not criminal, is it?) for spreading their advertisement to a wider audience.
Steve, if you photograph a logo or trademark on a commercial basis you're in breach. That's probably why they're hiring a photographer rather than using the iPhone.

Steve Axford
12-08-2010, 8:23am
Possible, but has anyone ever been put in Long Bay for doing so? I doubt that a magistrate would keep his job for long if he did so.

Redgum
12-08-2010, 8:30am
Possible, but has anyone ever been put in Long Bay for doing so? I doubt that a magistrate would keep his job for long if he did so.
Don't know if anyone has gone to gaol but certainly not uncommon for companies and individuals to receive hefty fines. And I don't think a $1k a day fee would go anywhere near covering it. With that risk would you want to keep the copyright or even do the job without a very specific contract?
This is an interesting case because if the trademark is incidental (not on the bus) you're pretty safe but if you specifically photograph it with intent you're up the creek without a paddle.

jasevk
12-08-2010, 9:38am
Easy fix Daz... go out and take pictures of bus stops, thus making the bus incidental. Have this stated in your contract and throw in a few pics of empty bus stops.... :lol:

dche5390
12-08-2010, 9:51am
Reminds me when I was still in high school a a mate's uncle hired me to run around the entire Sydney CBD and take photos of every single flappin' building ... dunno what it was for, nor ever saw the final result but I think it was to render a 3D model from the thousands of photos we took. Good pay for an entire's day work as a 15 year old.

bigdazzler
12-08-2010, 11:44am
Still havent had any further correspondence with them this morning.

The issue of whether or not I specifically photograph the advertising is all in the composition of the photos I reckon ;)

jasevk
12-08-2010, 12:06pm
The issue of whether or not I specifically photograph the advertising is all in the composition of the photos I reckon ;)

loud and clear mate :D

junqbox
12-08-2010, 12:38pm
i bet its just an advertising company wanting a) pics of their own ads and b) competitors adds for their own use

I cant imagine why they'd be used for secondary or commercial reasons

Just be a hired gun and hand over the images I think

I would expect this to be the case, either an ad agency or a media seller looking for what's out in the market for different brands. Likely to only end up on powerpoint presentations to clients. If you're only shooting buses (inside & out), there's really only one company who handle this, BusPak.
Since the material is already in public domain, there should be no copyright issues, especially as their main game is to increase exposure for any material.

maccaroneski
15-08-2010, 12:55pm
Just because material is visible in public does not mean that it is in the "public domain" and thus copyright is relinquished. Or else for example I would have no rights over images that I post to Flickr.