PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Bridge/CS4 - Question re saving processed files

Paul G
09-08-2010, 5:40pm
Basic workflow goes like this:

Open NEF/RAW file from Bridge into Adobe Camera Raw

Apply processing here and in PS CS4

Save for web display into a folder in My Pictures (for example)

When I go back to Bridge I see the processing changes applied to the NEF/RAW file

Is this normal or should I be doing something else to preserve the original RAW file in Bridge? (When you do reopen this file again in future I believe you can undo all the processing but can you also retain the original image pre-processing?)

ameerat42
09-08-2010, 5:54pm
Hmm! Think. Think. Think. A strange one 4 sure. I use a completely different program from Sigma, BUTTT! If I open my original RAW files I also see the changes I applied. But I suspect that's because I save the settings. However, and this may be the case for you too, I can get my original RAW file back by moving the slider to XF3. (See below.)

FURTHERmore, the original XF3 files are UNchanged in the folder - ie, date and time I downloaded them.

So there's something 4 you to check. Am.

Bax
09-08-2010, 6:05pm
It's normal as far as I know?

I was always under the impression that the RAW never actually changes. But you get something like a recipe that comes with, just a small file that says, to this raw - increase the contrast and white balance etc?

Maybe look for a second file. Mine are saved as xmp's I believe.

I could be wrong.

Editing: After a quick Google, xmp changes the metadata and is from cs4. I'm sure other programs would do something similar?

rafikicat
09-08-2010, 6:48pm
Now I'm a raw beginner with Photoshop, I have CS4. I've noticed that if after I've adjusted the image in Camera Raw, I then click "Open Image" to continue in Photoshop, when I go back to Bridge the image is as I adjusted it, if however I "save image", as, say, a Tiff file, then the Raw image in Bridge is unchanged.
I could be completely out of line here, but is it possible this is what is happening?

Paul G
09-08-2010, 7:24pm
I mainly save as JPG to display on forums and know very little about the pros and cons of working and editing with different file types. In My Pictures I have an accompanying XMP file for every single downloaded NEF but there are no extra files, XMP or otherwise, showing in Bridge.

ameerat42
09-08-2010, 7:43pm
I mainly save as JPG to display on forums and know very little about the pros and cons of working and editing with different file types. In My Pictures I have an accompanying XMP file for every single downloaded NEF but there are no extra files, XMP or otherwise, showing in Bridge.

That's OK. Bridge is Bridge. Go to File Manager, or whatever it's called in your OS. Check the folder that you originally downloaded the camera images into. Are the originals still there? (Check Date and Time.) If Yes, then you're safe. That's essentially what everybody's saying. Am.

Damo77
09-08-2010, 7:56pm
The existence of XMP data is indicated by this little icon:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FCAHAtBdVFY/S9uu43X54XI/AAAAAAAAAM4/x39WeAb5C7A/s400/ACR5.jpg

If an image in Bridge has that icon, it means there's an XMP file behind the scenes.

* unless you use DNG files, where the XMP data is embedded within.

Paul G
09-08-2010, 9:16pm
Yep that icon always shows up in Bridge after processing.

GlennSan
17-08-2010, 8:47am
Thanks for that tip Damo77 - very useful to know.