PDA

View Full Version : How to lighten shadows

mynxt
05-08-2010, 4:55pm
I need some help lightening the shadows in this picture. I have searched for masking and lightening shadows but I haven't found what I am looking for. I use PS7 and a lot of them are for CS and I just can't work it out. I am looking for something step by step.

This is what I want to edit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandabradley/4862608386/

Wayne
05-08-2010, 5:02pm
You could try adding some fill light if PS7 has the option. I use LR3 and would either try the fill, or adjustment brush with a mask over the area I want to lighten and raise the exposure value of that area.

You could do the same with the mask in PS7, just use soft brush and slowly does it.

ameerat42
05-08-2010, 5:37pm
Hi myvnxt. What do you mean by

...I use PS7 and a lot of them are for CS...
Do you mean Adobe Photoshop 7 and Addobe CS?

(OK, if you have CS (Photoshop 8) and you are editing a jpeg only, then use the Shadow/Highlight adjustment, possibly restricting the "tonal width" of the shadows, otherwise you might lighten too much else. If this comes from a raw file, then try the shadow lightening in the program you use for that. I find that "fill light" tends to brighten every level, not just shadows.)

I can be more step-by-stepful if you list your programs.
Am

For Wayne: Photoshop 7 does not have "fill light" as such.

William
05-08-2010, 5:47pm
Just had a play to see what would happen, Hit it with Shadow/Highlights in CS5 , Hope you don't mind - Bill

mynxt
05-08-2010, 6:53pm
Ameerat I am using Photoshop 7 at the moment, but I think I will upgrade eventually. Step by step would be fantastic!!

Bill.... that looks great, I love it.....now.....how do I do that? I don't have the shadow/highlight feature so simply as CS5 does.

ameerat42
05-08-2010, 8:16pm
Mynxt. Shadow /Highlight is certainly in CS2, and I think it was in CS("1"). But I know for sure it is not in PS7, as I have an old copy still. It should be in Photoshop Elements, though others may be able to tell you. Elements is way cheaper than the full CS. William's rendition above is a pretty good go. I will post a pic of the process screenshot in the next post. Am.

ameerat42
05-08-2010, 8:27pm
Mynxt, here is that screenshot in CS2. It looks like a couple of goes may be needed, with the Tonal Width of the Shadows set to about 25. Here I just left it at the default setting. Am.

mynxt
06-08-2010, 3:40pm
Thanks Ameerat. I'll definitely be upgrading soon!