PDA

View Full Version : 70 - 300 f4 feedback

Roosta
02-08-2010, 1:19am
Hi, Just wondering if any boby has got this lens, i'm looking to add to my E-330, have got the 40 - 150, also toying with getting the EC-14 Teleconvertor insted of new lens.

Any feedback would be great, using it to get sporting pictures of my kids,

piXelatedEmpire
02-08-2010, 8:03pm
Hi Roosta

I assume you mean the Zuiko 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 lens (http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/telephoto.html#70-300)?

I have been using this lens since January, when I bought an Olympus E620 twin lens kit and the above lens. I use this lens for birding and wildlife photograph.. and I love it. The quality is excellent considering the price, second to none.

You can view samples of images taken with this lens on my new website, piXelatedEmpire Photography (http://pixelatedempire.com). I tag the images with the lens used, so you will be able to see which ones came from the lens. It's a pretty new site, but I'm adding content frequently and I have a back catalogue of 6 months of images taken with that lens to put online!

Alternatively, you could check out my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelatedempire/) if you prefer, again my images are tagged with the lens used.

Also, I very recently (2 weeks ago) picked up the EC-14 teleconverter and a 50-200 SWD lens, and this combo is magnificent! I highly recommend the EC-14, a brilliant teleconverter. Not sure how it will perform with the kit lenses (haven't used it with them yet), but I'm sure there are some reviews out there ;)

Fire away with any questions you may have :)

Roosta
03-08-2010, 1:17am
Thanks very much for the info and the link, useful site www.four-thirds. Will take a look at your pics, after some research on Amazon.com, the SWD 50 - 200 with EC-14, gets a alot of positive feedback, obiviously atleast twice the price, but sounds like twice the lens, I want to get better closer shots of my sons playing rugby union, will probally get the EC-14 first and use it with the 50 -140 kit lens, dropping one f stop and see how that goes, save the pennies and get the 50 - 200 swd....

piXelatedEmpire
03-08-2010, 4:22pm
after some research on Amazon.com, the SWD 50 - 200 with EC-14, gets a alot of positive feedback, obiviously atleast twice the price, but sounds like twice the lens

Indeed it is. I've only had the 50-200 SWD for 2 weeks but it is an amazing piece of glass. Combined with the EC-14, it is superb. I can't see myself using the 70-300mm lens much anymore now I have the above combo.

I want to get better closer shots of my sons playing rugby union, will probally get the EC-14 first and use it with the 50 -140 kit lens, dropping one f stop and see how that goes, save the pennies and get the 50 - 200 swd....

Sounds like a decent plan :th3:

rocklogic
19-10-2010, 7:49am
I'd just gotten the 70-300, and they're pretty awesome for such a price!

Tested out the SWD, but it's well beyond my 'level' anyway;so decided to just bite the bullet and get the 70-300 first. Pretty good prices and shipping times from the online retailer I bought it from; and pretty happy that I've got more reach compared to the kit lens!

cherryw
21-10-2010, 10:00pm
Hi Guys

I also have this lens and cannot be happier. There is a hidden treasure with this lens, it also has macro. If you extend the lens all the way out and then switch the AP on the lens off you can then extend the lens out further for macro shots.

Hope you enjoy.

cherryw
04-11-2010, 10:10pm
Sorry I mean if you switch the AF off you can then extend it out further with the focus ring.