PDA

View Full Version : Bulb setting on KX

BradGC
30-07-2010, 2:37am
I've tried a few times using my bulb setting with a remote... and it seems my camera switches itself off after a minute? Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe I have to turn off the auto shutoff every time I do long exposures, but surely pentax must have thought out the fact that it shouldn't auto turn off on a long exposure even with the shut off mode on?

maybe i'm doing something wrong, has anyone else had this problem?

tim71
02-08-2010, 10:22pm
have you tried making the auto shut off delay longer or switched it off? You may have to set bulb to on or program it some how etc? will have a read of my k7 manual but may be different to kx

Kym
02-08-2010, 10:45pm
Latest firmware? http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html

This is not the behaviour on a K-7 and they both use the same base software (PRIME II)

What remote are you using? Is your remote losing contact with the body?

BradGC
03-08-2010, 12:16pm
What remote are you using? Is your remote losing contact with the body?

I'm using a proper pentax remote, and have the setting so that I have to push the remote a second time to close the shutter... then when i tried to close it the camera didnt respond, so i tried to push the button on the camera itself and there was no response.
I read the manual and it said that i need to make sure that the batteries are at full charge because its still using battery power when the shutter is open. From what i remember, the batteries were at full charge but maybe ill try again with freshly charged batterys just so that i cant rule out the fact that it might have been the batterys that died the first time.

Rattus79
03-08-2010, 3:29pm
Never had this problem with my k10, but I'm using a home made release (just a couple of switches a film canister and the wiring from an old skool hands free kit)

BradGC
03-08-2010, 4:24pm
I think I've worked out what's happening... after I have taken a photo on bulb setting of over 30 seconds, the camera seemed to be non-responsive, the blue light was on, but the live view screen at the back didn't show my picture or anything... but it turns out that maybe I was just too impatient.
After taking a photo on bulb setting, I have to wait like 30 secs for the camera to kind of "Process" the image, and finally the image turns up.
I was just confused and thought the camera had crashed or something after, or turned itself off as it never happens with a 30 sec exposure, the photo always appears instantly on the screen as soon as the photo has been taken.
I guess I just need to be be more patient.

Wizofoz
03-08-2010, 6:41pm
Try page 92 of the manual. It deals with long exposure noise reduction. I think this is your problem.

BradGC
03-08-2010, 7:16pm
Try page 92 of the manual. It deals with long exposure noise reduction. I think this is your problem.

Yea I see how it says it uses NR when I have a shutter speed of slower than 30 secs, so I guess, if im not having any probs with the clarity of the image, i could turn it off to save time with the image processing.

BradGC
03-08-2010, 7:44pm
I tried it again with the slow shutter noise reduction turned OFF and it still seems to takes like 40 seconds and even like a minute and a half to process the image, it can be kind of annoying at times... I take a pic that is 1 minute long.... and I have to wait nearly a minute or even longer to view it.

Has anyone noticed this on other Pentax's like the K7?

Kym
03-08-2010, 9:20pm
If its over 30 seconds it does a NR regardless, basically doubling time
The NR is a 'dark' image for about the same time that is subtracted from the real image

BradGC
03-08-2010, 9:52pm
It can be switched off in the custom settings, and i tried it switched off and it still took a LONG time

milesy
03-08-2010, 10:45pm
the DFS (Dark Frame Subtraction) is forced for exposures over 30sec.........that is you cannot turn it off

tim71
03-08-2010, 11:05pm
glad you worked it out

Rattus79
04-08-2010, 8:56am
The wait on the dark frame is annoying, but it's still quicker then it was waiting for film to develop :D

The only time it's really annoying is when you're trying to photograph lightning. It always seems you get the biggest strikes while you're waiting.

OzzieTraveller
10-09-2010, 9:03am
G'day Brad

Just re-reading this thread ... have you found the solution to your Q??
if -y-, I would be interested to hear your conclusion & solution

Regards, Phil