PDA

View Full Version : SB-900

wilto
29-07-2010, 5:44pm
Hi All,
Just some advice needed, have recently purchased the nikon sb900. All is going good but have a little question.... I have found that after a series of shots of about 8- 10 the alarm sounds and the signal shows that it hot..
What do most people do in this case just give the speedlight a rest for a few minute, have a back up and start shooting with the spare one, or am i expecting a bit much out of the one speedlight and should maybe have some time in between shot, i dont think that would be the correct way as ive seen many photographers firing away with speedlights...
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Brad

kiwi
29-07-2010, 5:50pm
Brad, if you google sb900 overheating, you may be overwhelmed with data on this "issue"

Try downloading and installing the SB-900 v. 5.0.2 firmware upgrade

wilto
29-07-2010, 6:07pm
Hi Darren,
Thanks for the quick reply its sounds like you have come across this and even sounds like it must happen a bit.. Will check that info out thanks again

kiwi
29-07-2010, 6:10pm
sort of, I have a sb-800, it overheats too, the difference is that it will melt into a palstic puddle, whereas the sb-900 will stop it via the alarm

anyway, plenty of reading about it on the internet

Wayne
29-07-2010, 6:30pm
I have 6x SB-900's and they will all go into alarm after perhaps 20 actuations if you fire them at 1/1 repeatedly, lower power they can be fired almost all day without the alarm. The updated firmware 5.01 helped, and 5.02 seems to have made no difference here, but one thing you can do to assist the unit is to increase the ISO to say 400, it means the flash works 1/2 as hard, and will go much longer.

As Kiwi has said, it isn't a problem per se, the many rants about the SB-800 not having this problem are simply from those who don't realise that the SB-800 will melt on the stand if you keep firing it at 1/1

wilto
29-07-2010, 6:42pm
Yeah have just found a lot of reports on the matter on google and a lot are reccomending turn the iso up to fire at half the power...and also are complaining about the alarm personally i think its good that it does shut down if it is heating up...
as like you guys have pointed out, will end a with a nice little plastic melted ball with no alarm i no which one i would prefer
Thanks