PDA

View Full Version : PS newbie question

Mircula
28-07-2010, 2:48pm
Hey,

I would like to heal something away in photoshop cs4 on a mac and can't manage it.

I click the healing brush tool, hold down option and click on the sky (target area) then i release the option key.

Now (as seen in the picture) the whole picture has some weird layer and the whole thing moves when i move the cursor.

I have seen a tutorial and i did exactly as in the tutorial but instead of getting to the circle to then actually heal away something the whole picture moves around.

In the screenshot i just option clicked on the sky, released the option key and moved the cursor to the right. (dragging this blueish layer with the curser - why??)

I suspect there is some bug in my PS or I am just to silly, hehe.

Cheers,

Mirc

Damo77
28-07-2010, 8:39pm
There are a few different healing tool options (if you click and hold on the tool in the toolbar you'll see what I mean). Are you sure you're using the same tool as in the tutorial?

There should be no need to option-click.

What are you trying to get rid of, exactly?

Mircula
29-07-2010, 8:19am
Hey, yes I am quite sure I use the right tool.

It is the healing brush tool.

I want to get rid of the brown line in the background running on the left side from the top to the bottom.

In the tutorial it said that i have to otion click my target color, so what should be there after the healing and then start brushing whatever i want to heal away...here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56hJmLNhP9A

I have no idea why it is not doing as it supposed to do....

dbax
29-07-2010, 10:17am
Ok I'm on a PC rather than a Mac and try as I might I cant replicate the result you have posted.
One thing that might be causing it is that the brush is too big and when you press option it selects the whole image? so when you select the healing tool immediately use the bracket keys(right of the P key), the left one reduces the brush size and the right one increases. Press and hold the left bracket key and see if your brush reduces to a usable size.
Can't think of anything else that might be causing your problem. worth a try anyway.
Good luck.
:confused013

Damo77
29-07-2010, 10:35am
Healing won't work here. Cloning would be better (make sure you do it on a separate layer!), or maybe just completely replace it with a bit of plain colour (similar to my method here (http://damiensymonds.blogspot.com/2010/06/adding-plain-background.html))

Mircula
29-07-2010, 10:36am
Thanks, tried it. Brush size is fairly small, tried to change it as well but always get the same problem.

I played around a bit more and as soon as i option click somewhere and release the option key the whole picture changes to that blueish one. Then when i click to start brushing the normal view is there again but only as long as the mouse is pressed. Really confusing.....

fillum
29-07-2010, 11:49am
It looks like the option key is giving you an inverted (ie negative) version of the image. I don't know what the standard short-cut keys are for this on a Mac* but perhaps your short-cuts are somehow mapped differently to the tute.

*CTRL + I on a PC (or Filter --> Adjustments --> Invert on my version of PSE)

Cheers.

calmaxgan
29-07-2010, 12:16pm
I use a Mac and while I have to Option+click for the clone brush, I don't for the healing brush - the nature of the healing brush is it selects surrounding pixel properties. Try it again without clicking Option first and see what happens then.

Mircula
29-07-2010, 1:07pm
Ok figured out:

The image is the inverted one and the Mac shortcut is Apple+I. I dont press that though, but the shortcut works, so the shortcuts are correct.

When i just click after selecting the healing brush tool it says:
"Option-click to define a source point to be used to repair the image"

This is so weird :(

dbax
29-07-2010, 10:15pm
this ones got me baffled, I've racket the brain at work today and come home and tried a number of things and I've got nuthin:confused013 sorry. someone will come along, I'll watch this thread because I want to know:(:(

Mircula
30-07-2010, 4:09pm
hehe, thank you for you support dbax.....Still havent figured it out.... I really think there is something wrong with my version of photoshop. I may try to take a video of what i am doing and then post it. maybe that gives some clues....

Maybe i am just doing a silly mistake....

Mircula
09-08-2010, 10:59am
Hey, still the same problem.

i guess i will try and reinstall the software and see how that goes....