PDA

View Full Version : What should I do now

wiggles
27-07-2010, 7:33pm
I reciently took photos for a client which turned out better that I expected and verbally said to him before the day that if you let me to take photos of your event I will sent you copies.

Now the dilemma is that he never stipulated about the size like, Hi rez photos or just printable photos.

I was thinking of giving him the high res photos with no watermark but thought, what if he goes on and prints them for the people and makes money or what if he advertises with them and gets permission from the people before doing this and doesn't credit me.

Im probably over reacting.

I was actually thinking of sending him via email (cause thats the only way of geting the photos to him) but half size which is still quite large over 1000px each side and asking for credit.

What would you do in my circumstances I need help thanks.

Erin
27-07-2010, 7:48pm
Send him relatively small ones with a watermark on them. If he wants printable ones, charge him for them. :)

ricktas
27-07-2010, 7:49pm
Firstly you should have negotiated all this before you took the shots. So something to learn from that alone.

He cannot print them and sell them, or use them for advertising without your express permission, unless that was what you verbally agreed to previously! You agreed to take the photos and supply him with copies, nothing more, unless that was part of your discussions.

We need to know more information here about what was agreed to, before we can advise with to much clarity.

bigdazzler
27-07-2010, 8:08pm
I reciently took photos for a client which turned out better that I expected and verbally said to him before the day that if you let me to take photos of your event I will sent you copies..

That sounds like a typical TF arrangement to me. You wanted the opportunity (I assume to practice) and he saw it as a chance to get some shots of his event with nothing to lose. Win win I say.

If I were you .. Id offer to supply him the hi res printable files in appreciation for the gig. I would however, explain that they are for his personal use only (not sure what that might be given we dont know anything about the event) and not for commercial use and/or for sale. If he should choose to use the images commercially and/or sell them, or in any other way in which he might gain financially, you will need to come to some kind of usage agreement, and be compensated accordingly.

I wouldnt do anything like holding back the hi res files though, thats not in the spirit of the initial agreement IMO.

wiggles
27-07-2010, 8:16pm
Thanks Erin and Rick yes I just agreed to sending him copies of the photos that is all I said to him and he agreed.

wiggles
27-07-2010, 8:21pm
Yes your right Bigdazzler it was for a martial arts event. I think Ill do that. It's seems fair to me as well and I might get something out of it :)

bigdazzler
27-07-2010, 9:03pm
Yes your right Bigdazzler it was for a martial arts event. I think Ill do that. It's seems fair to me as well and I might get something out of it :)

Yep youve already got something out of it ... an opportunity to practice your skills, and the satisfaction of getting better results than youve anticipated. Thats gotta feel pretty good right ;)

jasevk
28-07-2010, 12:44am
Next time put this all in writing first my friend! :) I'm glad you got something out of it (experience), but I'd be making it clear via email that they are for his use only and not to be sold.

jeffde
28-07-2010, 12:17pm
I agree with Darren - supply the images as agreed but as the photographer your own copyright and can't sell them without your permission and payment to you. However i would allow them to use the images to promote future events as long as they give you credit (anf that includes website etc. ) as you get some promotion - but next time work out the details before - I as probably alot of APer's have been stung before...

SRR33
28-07-2010, 1:45pm
That sounds like a typical TF arrangement to me. You wanted the opportunity (I assume to practice) and he saw it as a chance to get some shots of his event with nothing to lose. Win win I say.

If I were you .. Id offer to supply him the hi res printable files in appreciation for the gig. I would however, explain that they are for his personal use only (not sure what that might be given we dont know anything about the event) and not for commercial use and/or for sale. If he should choose to use the images commercially and/or sell them, or in any other way in which he might gain financially, you will need to come to some kind of usage agreement, and be compensated accordingly.

I wouldnt do anything like holding back the hi res files though, thats not in the spirit of the initial agreement IMO.

What he said.

wiggles
28-07-2010, 11:31pm
Thank you everyone for your help. I sent them to him and mentioned in the email that they can be for personal use but if he wants to promote his business with them he can as long as he gives me full credit. That way it's win win :) also If anyone's interested in checking out the photos that I'm talking about, they are on my website I just uploaded them ;p

SRR33
30-07-2010, 9:52am
Whats your website?

SRR33
30-07-2010, 9:52am
Edit never mind. Saw it in your first post. I would have thought the sig was attached to each post.

junqbox
30-07-2010, 11:12am
You could send him small un-watermarked electronic copies, for use on website, bragging, etc and print-outs in a reasonable size A4 or larger. Supply these with the stipulation of you own copyright, of they want more additional or larger images there will be a cost which is dependant upon end use.

wiggles
30-07-2010, 7:36pm
Whats your website?

my website is in my signature www.kylieknightphotography.com

Gremlin
31-07-2010, 1:55am
ever thought about possibly converting some of those to mono, theyd be great for it?

wiggles
31-07-2010, 10:14am
ever thought about possibly converting some of those to mono, theyd be great for it?

Thanks Gremlin which ones do you sopose would look good black and white?. I did consider it, I'm not too sure what ones would work thanks