PDA

View Full Version : New Sigma 530 Super on order!

BradGC
26-07-2010, 12:57am
So I just ordered a new flash, the Sigma EF 530 Super, and as I'm still really new to photography, I'm looking for suggestions of cool things to try my flash out.
I really want to do things like rear curtain trails etc, but I can't think of readily available moving objects to take pics of!
Also I saw a cool pic of a girl in the rain with the flash behind her (pointing at the camera to give her a silhouette) and the shutter speed is super fast to see the cool rain droplets, so would anyone have any suggestions as well to test out the remote / slave aspect of photography?

Any help appreciated, also some examples of other photos would be great to see.

PS a company called is selling the sigma flashes for only $AU 260 (almost half the price of other sites like digital camera warehouse)

Mod edit --- Please refer to the forum rules regarding the linking of commercial web sites

Kym
26-07-2010, 9:43am
I assume you ordered the P-TTL version?
There is a version for each of the main camera brands (Pentax, Cannon, Nikon, Sony, Oly)

BradGC
26-07-2010, 3:14pm
Yes, It also does wireless p-TTL, it works as both a remote flash or a slave with the current stock flash on the camera.

The main problem with the small built in flash is that my lens is quite long (18 - 125mm) and leaves a small round arc shadow on the bottom of most pics (I assume that this is pretty common with the stock flash)

Kym
26-07-2010, 3:20pm
In-built flashes - horrible things for a bunch of reasons...

Not that powerful
Too close the the axis of the lens, red-eye problem
Long/wide lens shadow issues
Too small and harsh
Cannot be taken off camera
Difficult to diffuse

Possibly useful when you have nothing else on a sunny day and need a bit of fill light.

BradGC
29-07-2010, 1:41am
Mod edit --- Please refer to the forum rules regarding the linking of commercial web sites

Sorry bout that, Luckily you took it off. I think the website just scammed me out of my cash along with plenty of others buying cameras etc... It's sad, they're posing as an Australian shop..

ricktas
29-07-2010, 6:46am
Sorry bout that, Luckily you took it off. I think the website just scammed me out of my cash along with plenty of others buying cameras etc... It's sad, they're posing as an Australian shop..

Ouch. Hope you sort it out. But I think that is why a lot of us only buy from well known sites, with a good reputation behind them.