PDA

View Full Version : Photo book assignment

charlie77
25-07-2010, 4:59pm
hey all,
I have been given an assignment at TAFE to design and produce a photobook containing 24 of my own images..
I need help in gettin some ideas for a book everything i've thought of has difficulties in obtaining the images.. i want something that is meaningful as there is a possibility that the book may be bought for the library
Any ideas would be great
cheers

Keith
25-07-2010, 5:03pm
Do they all have to be the one theme? What were your ideas and what sort of difficulties are you having with them?

charlie77
25-07-2010, 5:08pm
yes it has to be one theme, ie macro, landscape, architechure etc.. my ideas included children of abuse and subjects of similar nature hence the issue in obtaining images

ricktas
25-07-2010, 5:08pm
What themes, ideas have you come up with? Bounce them off us and you will find you might get some great ideas for shots, that fit into your current plans, that you have not thought of!

mongo
25-07-2010, 7:20pm
There are very significant difficulties with the subject you had originally picked – far too many to go into but you have realised that from what Mongo can tell. The subject is also very heavy, deep and serious. Not that that is a bad thing but , no doubt, there will be time for that a little later in life. For the moment, making it too difficult for yourself will not help you complete the current task before you.

So, a good formula might be subject matter that is interesting (even controversial or compelling if not to difficult to obtain), refreshingly different, but reasonably available and accessible. That is Mongo’s suggestion for a broad road map for you. We now need to find some specific destinations that fit the map. Mongo is working on that and hopes others will give this some thought for you as well.

In the interim, as Rick said, put up any ideas you might have for some quick feedback.

Keith
25-07-2010, 7:49pm
One possible way to use your current idea without showing any of the obvious photos could be thinking laterally by using set up shots and in place of the kids have just clothing there, also you could show things like dirty toys, broken walls, basically signs of neglect and other abuse.

Alternatively choose a different topic.

It would really depend on what your TAFE course is, the subject it is for, and your skill level, on the way you should go with it.

ricktas
25-07-2010, 8:10pm
Get a doll. One of the 'realistic' baby ones and use that as your subject. You could produce some really graphic and deeply moving photos that have serious impact on those that see them.

charlie77
26-07-2010, 8:08pm
thanks for those ideas guys its helped in possibly achieving my idea, thinking though it may be a little bit too advanced for this year though so i will try to come up with an idea a little less complex, have a couple of weeks to decide on a subject..