PDA

View Full Version : I cant see much difference between outputs!

ScottD1967
24-07-2010, 1:47pm
Hi everyone

I am a new member and have recently purchased a Canon 5D Mark II with the 24mm- 105mm lens.

I am looking at complimenting this with either the Canon 100mm - 400mm lens, or the Sigma 150mm - 500mm lens.

I have read a number of editorial and user reviews at various photographic and review sites, as well as a number of threads on this forum about the pro's and con's of both. As most would have seen, the confusing thing is that the range of views is so diverse that in the end I just end up more confused!

So where to next....I take a look at the example photographs posted by the various reviewers to take a look at the evidence.

Now I am not sure if it is my untrained eyes, or if I may need glasses, but I am finding that even when people are saying one area is soft, or sharp, or the colours are not as well saturated as the other, I am struggling to see a huge difference.

Is it just me, or are the differences between the actual output quite minor and reviewers being particularly thorough with their assessments?

Sorry if this question sounds a bit naive! :confused013

ricktas
24-07-2010, 6:21pm
reviewers will be thorough and picky. Cause at the very pinnacle of photography, people want the very best. They want sharpness, they want crisp colours that reflect those of the actual scene, they want their photos to be distortion free etc.

What are you intending to use the lens to photograph? Knowing what it will be used for, will help members guide you in the right direction when it comes to choosing the lens for you.

ScottD1967
25-07-2010, 12:08am
Hi Rick

I would mainly be looking at landscape and wildlife shots, particularly birds.

ricktas
25-07-2010, 7:54am
ok for Bird photography get the Canon 100-400, it is what most birders who use Canon start out with and it has a great reputation for that purpose.

ScottD1967
25-07-2010, 10:21am
Thanks Rick.

Out of curiosity, what situations would you recommend the Sigma 150 - 500 over the Canon?

arthurking83
25-07-2010, 10:57am
the extra 100mm reach over 400mm means less cropping, but then again at 500mm the aperture is f/6.3 as opposed to f/5.6, as with the canon lens.

focusing less light, almost certainly slightly lesser image sharpness @ f/6.3 compared to the Canon... etc, etc.