PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 10-20mm and cokin filters

matt shepherd
22-07-2010, 7:02pm
Hi all I am thinking of purchasing a sigma 10-20mm but was wondering if I will be able to use the filters that I already have. They are the cokin P series GND's. If any one has tried these two together could you please let me know if the combo will work.

Scotty72
22-07-2010, 7:05pm
Hi all I am thinking of purchasing a sigma 10-20mm but was wondering if I will be able to use the filters that I already have. They are the cokin P series GND's. If any one has tried these two together could you please let me know if the combo will work.

Short answer. No.

You will need the Z-Series. :(

Tony (Maccaroneski) experiences vignetting at about 15 or 16 mm (I think)

I haven't gotten the 10-20 just yet (hurry up tax cheque) but, I've invested in the Z-Series in preparation.

Scotty

matt shepherd
22-07-2010, 7:16pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that may be the case

Againstme
22-07-2010, 7:17pm
I just looked at some old photos I took with the 10-20 and p series and they work from 11mm up.

Well at least I think I was using the filters on those photos :Doh:

Scotty72
22-07-2010, 7:23pm
I just looked at some old photos I took with the 10-20 and p series and they work from 11mm up.

Well at least I think I was using the filters on those photos :Doh:

Remember, there are 2 versions of the 10-20.

One has a 77mm screw the other 82mm That may make a difference (as the 82 will be closer to the edge of the filter / holder). Does anyone know for sure?

Scotty

I @ M
22-07-2010, 7:26pm
Short answer. No.

Longer answer. Yes.

They will work perfectly fine at 10mm on a Nikon APSC camera --- IF --- you buy a cheap ebay filter holder and chop of the front 2 filter slots.

I can guarantee no mechanical vignetting if you pare the holder down to a single slot and are happy to take a little extra time lining everything up at the time of the shot.

I @ M
22-07-2010, 7:31pm
Good point Scotty, the newer version of that lens does have the larger front element and NO, my answer can't be applied to the 82mm front element version

matt shepherd
22-07-2010, 7:49pm
That sounds promising. Thanks for your comments

maccaroneski
22-07-2010, 9:43pm
Short answer. No.

You will need the Z-Series. :(

Tony (Maccaroneski) experiences vignetting at about 15 or 16 mm (I think)

I haven't gotten the 10-20 just yet (hurry up tax cheque) but, I've invested in the Z-Series in preparation.

Scotty

Actually it was at about 11.5mm with the Z-series, but I haven't yet tried the fix of removing one "layer" of filter holder (as I don't anticipate stacking more than 2 filters in any event).

arthurking83
22-07-2010, 10:10pm
The f/4-f/5.6(ie 77mm filter size) version of this lens will stop mechanically vignetting at a 11.5mm setting with the multi filter P series holder on a Nikon(ie. APS-C) sized sensor.
I suspect it should be borderline at 10mm on a Canon sensor giving an equiv FOV of 16mm.
11.5mm on an APS-C sensor is equivalent to about 16mm on FF for comparison sake.

have never seen the f/3.5 version of that lens, and at 82mm filter threads, I'm assuming that the front element(actual glass of the lens) is also significantly larger than the 77mm version.

I think one of the things I checked with the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 was to see if vignetted with the Cokin P series and I remember it did almost all the way through the focal range when using the multi filter holder.. or close to it... maybe 14mm.
That's because the size of the front element is significantly larger than the Sigma lens(77mm version) even tho the filter size is the same(@ 77mm).
The front glass is what collects the incoming light and forms it into a visible image on the sensor. If the glass is larger then more light is being collected from the periphery of the front of the lens making the P series multi holder the wrong choice.

The Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 is perfectly usable with the P-series Cokin filter range, as long as it's noted that at focal length settings wider than 11.5mm in landscape orientation, the multi holder will vignette(you can physically see the edges of the holder.
@ 12mm the holder is perfectly usable with three filters fitted if required.

in portrait orientation the lens is perfectly usable with the multi filter holder at all focal lengths :th3:

@ maccaroneski! Which version of the Sigma do you have? the faster or the older version? I wouldn't have thought that the Z series would vignette at all, being 100mm wide filters, even with the respective 3 filter holder.

I see totally clear periphery from about 11.5mm with my p series multi!(using the f/4-5.6 version of the Siggy).

:confused:

matt shepherd
23-07-2010, 6:35am
thats great news. thanks for all your help

maccaroneski
23-07-2010, 9:27am
Arthur one crucial pointy that both Scotty and I neglected - I have the Nikon 10-24... I was only reading Scotty taking my name in vain rather than the OP's issue :)

Scotty72
23-07-2010, 11:10am
Arthur one crucial pointy that both Scotty and I neglected - I have the Nikon 10-24... I was only reading Scotty taking my name in vain rather than the OP's issue :)

Taking Tony's name in vein once again:

.... And your vignetting occured with Z-Series, right? So, P-Series would be worse.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maccaroneski
23-07-2010, 11:43am
Yes indeed.

Regnis
23-07-2010, 1:22pm
The Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 is perfectly usable with the P-series Cokin filter range, as long as it's noted that at focal length settings wider than 11.5mm in landscape orientation, the multi holder will vignette(you can physically see the edges of the holder.
@ 12mm the holder is perfectly usable with three filters fitted if required.

I see totally clear periphery from about 11.5mm with my p series multi!(using the f/4-5.6 version of the Siggy).

This is great news for me. I have the siggy f/4-5.6 on my 40D and was going to buy the Cokin Z series but if I can shoot at 11.5mm I am happy with the P series (as i don't have the money for the z series at the moment)

bowds1122
23-07-2010, 1:43pm

I've got the exact same combo to go with my 40D. From my experience if you have the standard holder and have say 2-3 filters on you need to be at 14-15mm to avoid vignetting. If you're using the wide angle holder i.e. 1 filter space only, as mentioned just past 11mm is fine.

Though I don't mind a bit of vignette...

Regnis
23-07-2010, 10:03pm
can you still shoot at 11.5mm with a polariser on as well?

arthurking83
23-07-2010, 10:24pm
can you still shoot at 11.5mm with a polariser on as well?

not if you mount the holder to the polariser!.. no!

What I do tho is to handhold if practical, which is almost all the time except when exposures reach into the 5s range. You can still hold them, but you try to hold a filter for that long!.. BORING! :D

The multi filter holder can probably work even at say 10mm on the Siggy if you cut off the front most filter slot, making it only a two filter holder, not three.

I regularly use a standard(not slim) polariser on my 10-20 and just handhold two filters over that! you do have to rest the filters quite hard up against the CPL filter rim though, and as it's made of metal the cokin's plastic material is easily scratched.
This is only an issue when shooting into bright light sources when the scratching becomes visible as flare, glare, and haze within the images.
My current set of filters is horribly marked and just about 90% of my recent images have basically had the filters used for some kind of effect.