PDA

View Full Version : fuji Pro 160S v Kodak Ektacolor 160

arubaato
21-07-2010, 2:20pm
Hi all

recently did a joint purchase with my bro, a 1950s Rolleiflex 3.5T.

now after some colour negative film to go with it. Have looked at the above films, want to use it for landscape.

I have used the fuji in the past in 35mm format, but not the kodak. I've heard good things about the kodak Ekta 100, but this one seems a bit cheaper.

Which would you recommend? Cheers.

GlennSan
21-07-2010, 5:19pm
I've used the NPS 160 and it's great ( for portraits, not so sure about landscapes though). Haven't used the NPC or NPL nor the Ektacolour.

You've bought a fine camera, why not buy a roll of each and test for yourself?

TOM
21-07-2010, 11:43pm
If you're talking about the Kodak Ektar, then Kodak do not bring it into Australia. You'll have to import that. It works well, although I do prefer Fuji, and my choice for negs is Reala 100, or Pro 400h. If you want to try chrome, then Velvia 50 is the classic choice for landscape. My chrome choice would be Provia 100f over Velvia however, and 400x is great, and actually pushes well. Here is a [ordinary] shot of 400x @ ASA1600.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tmickan/4018639284/in/photostream/

TOM
21-07-2010, 11:45pm

arubaato
22-07-2010, 10:06am
I've used the NPS 160 and it's great ( for portraits, not so sure about landscapes though). Haven't used the NPC or NPL nor the Ektacolour.

You've bought a fine camera, why not buy a roll of each and test for yourself?

Thanks GlennSan. You must be nom_oz in flickr. That's a nice shot of Harry, nice and sharp with good colours. Where do you get your film processed and scanned?

Last night I ordered 5 rolls of each from ebay. The fuji worked out to be around $8 a roll and the kodak was around $5 a roll. That should be enough to keep be busy for a while. Can't wait to get it to test out the camera :)

arubaato
22-07-2010, 10:09am
If you're talking about the Kodak Ektar, then Kodak do not bring it into Australia. You'll have to import that. It works well, although I do prefer Fuji, and my choice for negs is Reala 100, or Pro 400h. If you want to try chrome, then Velvia 50 is the classic choice for landscape. My chrome choice would be Provia 100f over Velvia however, and 400x is great, and actually pushes well. Here is a [ordinary] shot of 400x @ ASA1600.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tmickan/4018639284/in/photostream/

I agree about Reala 100, but I haven't tried the 400H film as yet. I've tried to use 100 film for landscape and fuji extra 400 for general walk around use.

That 400x is amazing given it's pushed two stops! Is it a slide film?

GlennSan
22-07-2010, 3:27pm
Thanks GlennSan. You must be nom_oz in flickr. That's a nice shot of Harry, nice and sharp with good colours. Where do you get your film processed and scanned?

Yes, that's me. I also very much like the shot you refer to. Shhhh, don't tell anyone but the film was developed and printed at BIGW and I just scanned the 5x7 print on my crappy Canon scanner at home. :th3:

Good luck with the Rollie and those films; keen to see the results.

arubaato
22-07-2010, 6:09pm
Yes, that's me. I also very much like the shot you refer to. Shhhh, don't tell anyone but the film was developed and printed at BIGW and I just scanned the 5x7 print on my crappy Canon scanner at home. :th3:

Good luck with the Rollie and those films; keen to see the results.

Really? I've always wondered if you could do that. My local BigW can process and print a 24exp roll for $6.95, but cannot scan. I'll try that next time! cheers.

TOM
22-07-2010, 6:22pm
That 400x is amazing given it's pushed two stops! Is it a slide film?

yes, chrome, positive, transparency, or slide.

hoffy
22-07-2010, 9:16pm
OK, I gotta know. Can you still get Reala? I thought it was discontinued, or are there some markets that still have it?

TOM
22-07-2010, 9:36pm
it's still available Hoffy, but I'm not sure if they are still producing it. Whether it's all over when the master roll is gone is a bit of a mystery. I am farily sure though, that it is only available individually, no more pro packs...unless you get 120.

Athiril
29-07-2010, 5:36am
Ektacolor is not Ektar.

Ektarcolor Pro 160 is a 160 speed colour negative by Kodak distibuted in Asia and possibly France iirc.

It's extremely cheap on ebay, its currently $2.16 per roll including delivery for 120.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kodak-Ektacolor-pro-160-iso-120mm-10-rolls-/220505854775?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33572c5337

160S, 160C, Reala, 400H, 800Z are all still available fresh and will continue to be.

I've got a whole bunch of Ektacolor Pro 160 sitting here, I've yet to develop many rolls of it (I do my own C-41, sometimes in very odd processes), but it seems pretty good so far, not that you have much worrying to do in 120, colour is nice.

Pro 160S is about my favourite film, Reala is also excellent, no point in wasting these films on learning on though when you get something that's still very good for much cheaper.

Ektar is a more contrasty and colourful film than these portrait films, I've seen it used for very beautiful portraits, though this is with extra lighting, and controlling lighting ratios, not with available light. I wouldnt use it for available light portraits.

Athiril
29-07-2010, 5:38am

I cant see the image even though Im logged in.

GlennSan
30-07-2010, 11:31pm
I cant see the image even though Im logged in.

That's odd and a shame. I've looked at this thread maybe a half dozen times now and Tom's image is there for me every time. And I must say, I pause and look long and hard at it every time. It has a somewhat mysterious and subtle attraction to it that I can't quite put my finger on. I like it a lot!

Athiril
31-07-2010, 4:58am
That's odd and a shame. I've looked at this thread maybe a half dozen times now and Tom's image is there for me every time. And I must say, I pause and look long and hard at it every time. It has a somewhat mysterious and subtle attraction to it that I can't quite put my finger on. I like it a lot!

Now that my account is properly re-activated I can see it :)

On the topic of Provia 400X... some of us process our own C-41 and E-6... there was one guy using mercury drops in a container and placing the film in with the vapour for 48 hours and getting more developable shadow from pushed 400X.

There are also several amplifcation techniques one can use on top of this, such rehal development (though this must be done in a negative process, or 'xpro' for 400X), and using 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in colour developer to increase the amount of dye formed from the silver developed.

arubaato
02-08-2010, 10:09pm
Ektacolor is not Ektar.

Ektarcolor Pro 160 is a 160 speed colour negative by Kodak distibuted in Asia and possibly France iirc.

It's extremely cheap on ebay, its currently $2.16 per roll including delivery for 120.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kodak-Ektacolor-pro-160-iso-120mm-10-rolls-/220505854775?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33572c5337

160S, 160C, Reala, 400H, 800Z are all still available fresh and will continue to be.

I've got a whole bunch of Ektacolor Pro 160 sitting here, I've yet to develop many rolls of it (I do my own C-41, sometimes in very odd processes), but it seems pretty good so far, not that you have much worrying to do in 120, colour is nice.

Pro 160S is about my favourite film, Reala is also excellent, no point in wasting these films on learning on though when you get something that's still very good for much cheaper.

Ektar is a more contrasty and colourful film than these portrait films, I've seen it used for very beautiful portraits, though this is with extra lighting, and controlling lighting ratios, not with available light. I wouldnt use it for available light portraits.

AHHHHH! I just bought a packet of then for $50!!!

anyway, I agree with your point about not using the more expensive film for learning.

Why wouldn't you use the Ektar for available light portraits? I've seen some on flickr that are quite nice.

Athiril
02-08-2010, 10:28pm
When you seach for film on ebay.. go to advanced search and change show items available to Australia rather than inside Australia :)

And also search for 120mm not just 120... some sellers like the $2/roll Ektacolor is listed as 120mm oddly.

More contrasty and more saturated colour typically.

I dont think it'd be too kind with harsh shadows of direct sun and all.

Someone told me that Ektacolor Pro 160 is the older version of Portra.

Either way its only cheap in price, not in quality :)

clipper79
04-08-2010, 2:55pm
From my knowledge both the films are almost the same price in Singapore.
Kodak Ektacolor 160 has a very rich saturated feel to it's colour, forcing it to be more contrasty in nature. This is the characteristics of the film. As for the Fuji Pro 160S, the colours are more neutral and appear more natural, which in turn is not so contrasty compared to the Ektacolor.

Some photographers prefer natural colours over the saturated ones. Also a less contrasty photo over a higher one. It depends on personal preferences to be honest.

I prefer to have the natural colours over the more saturated one is because, I will have more leg room to play with when I scan them over to digital (if I need to push up the saturation of the colours). Also not forgetting that I have more details in the darker areas in a less contrasty film. It is also one of the reasons why I choose negatives over positives.

Hope this helps.

MattC
09-08-2010, 9:03am
Ektacolor is not Ektar.

Thanks very much for the link - I have been looking for some cheap 120 beg film to learn with.
Cheers :th3:

Athiril
09-08-2010, 1:49pm
If you want cheap b&w 120, ebay for Shanghai GP3, should be around the same price or less, its one of my fave b&w's :)

ameerat42
09-08-2010, 2:17pm
Hi. I missed this thread till now. I have only got the Fuji 160 Pro S. What's the Kodak like? Am.

clipper79
10-08-2010, 8:05pm
Two examples taken with the Pro 400H and 160S film respectively + Pentacon 6TL
I've been shooting Fujifilm more, as I prefer it to be more natural.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3594/3848761338_df5c277cb6_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3437/3968808749_446195f151.jpg

Have to dig out the Ektacolor shots to rescan them soon,... hopefully.

ameerat42
11-08-2010, 11:22am
OK, thanks Clipper. Am.