PDA

View Full Version : Pentax compatible flashes

BradGC
21-07-2010, 2:59am
I'm looking for a flash for my Pentax K-X, does anyone know if they work with cannon style flashes, or any commonly available flashes around? The price for a genuine pentax flash I believe is around $400

OzzieTraveller
21-07-2010, 7:22am
G'day Brad

There are a number of flash manufacturers - to some extent you will need to google to locate one
also ... suggest you look at "shopbot > electronic > camera flash" - there are flashes there for $180 upwards

Regards, Phil

JM Tran
21-07-2010, 8:25am
Hi Brad

some of compatible flashes that are not Pentax that has TTL functions for the camera are:

-Metz series ie. mecablitz 36/48/58
-Sigma 500 and newer 530 series
-the more expensive Chinese Yongnuo models

if you do not require TTL you can just buy a cheap flash like say, a Nikon SB25 or SB28 or a Canon and use it in full manual mode both on your flash and camera to trigger it. I bought a cheap SB25 for 50 bucks a few yrs ago to use on my K100D and K20D.

Kym
21-07-2010, 9:40am
There are two options

a) Pentax or compatible (e. Sigma 530 series) that provide p-TTL exposure control features
The older Sigma 500 series do not provide the current p-TTL on Pentax (they support an older Pentax stanard)
Edit: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/techupdates/notice-to-end-users-using-ef-500-dg-super-pentax-and-ef-500-dg-st-pentax-flashguns

b) Centre pin only manual flash (no TTL exposure control) - which is what you would use for studio anyway

a costs more than b.

Edit2: http://pttl.mattdm.org/ <<< Full list of p-TTL flashes

BradGC
21-07-2010, 3:28pm
Thanks for the helpful replys!
I have a slightly noob question.. what does "p-TTL" stand for or mean?
I've seen how some say they're only TTL and some are p-TTL, do they make a huge difference for a learner photographer?

Kym
21-07-2010, 3:44pm
TTL and p-TTL are different. Canikon etc have similar proprietary versions.

P-TTL is Pentax's preflash-based through-the-lens flash metering system.
P-TTL flash uses a preflash to meter with the normal exposure meter, then adjusts the output of the flash for the actual exposure.

reaction
21-07-2010, 6:37pm
Buy sigma 530 or pentax 540. There is no reason to get a non-TTL flash these days.
don't get baby flashes, they don't hack it when you need to bounce.

a flash will last you many camera bodies.

MattC
23-07-2010, 11:17am
Buy sigma 530 or pentax 540. There is no reason to get a non-TTL flash these days.
don't get baby flashes, they don't hack it when you need to bounce.

a flash will last you many camera bodies.

I would say it would depend entirely on what the OP's intended use and budget is.
No point spending large amounts of money on features that may never be used.

sugarcourt
14-11-2010, 12:41pm
Thanks for the info. Its exactly what I have been looking for.

ricstew
14-11-2010, 12:50pm
hmm I use nikon sb28's in manual mode on my pentax........doesnt have ttl or pttl........works great for me.
cheers
Jan

birdsrus
19-11-2010, 10:24pm
My understanding of P-TTL is the glass protecting the sensor reflects light unlike film. TTL flash on film cameras from my experience with pentax and olympus was very accurate. The P-TTTL goes through a range of extra hoops as described above to overcome reflection issues. With film I prefered TTL flash. With digital I almost exclusively use manual flash with manual camera settings. I have 3 sigmas and 1 pentax flash. I prefer the sigma with my telphoto lenses and the pentax for indoors and outdoor people fill flash. As everyting is manual, I don't need all the extra features. Reason for all the flashes is I am always breaking them with my outdoor photography.