PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor 70-200 'play' - normal?

BUGSnBIRDS
20-07-2010, 9:26pm
Hi, last week I purchased a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 lens from a highstreet store while in the big smoke. During the weekend I noticed that when it is mounted there is a bit of 'play' in the mount such that it moves a smidge when hand held. Feels like the points would be grinding if you move the lens, though that is probably an exaggeration and more the brain leaping ahead - certainly not as solid as the nifty fifty (my other lens) but perhaps the weight of the 70-200 plays a role.

I've come from a film background and not experienced this with my Pentax setups so a bit stumped.

Does this sound like a flaw or is it normal. Comments appreciated.

Lani
20-07-2010, 9:34pm
What body are you using and which version, out of curiosity?
I have one, version 1, and use it on a D300 and D700....and there is a smidge of movement, (although that is not a very definite unit of measurement! :D)

TOM
20-07-2010, 9:53pm
i shouldn't say that this is normal, but i had this with 70-200, and I have seen another shooter with the play. it doesn't effect the performance at all.

BUGSnBIRDS
20-07-2010, 9:57pm
What body are you using and which version, out of curiosity?
I have one, version 1, and use it on a D300 and D700....and there is a smidge of movement, (although that is not a very definite unit of measurement! :D)

D700 that was gifted to me and well beyond my capabilities. Yes, it's a smidge and and a term that has no scientific basis behind it but no idea how else to describe it. Not much movement but it sure isn't lock-tite either. Maybe the added weight makes it more obvious.....

Lani
20-07-2010, 10:06pm
I agree with Tom....it has no affect on performance....and as you say is most probably due to the weight.
Nice pickup with the D700, it's a great camera. :)

kingwheatie
21-07-2010, 6:03pm
I tend to think its normal both my 70-200mm(2nd hand) and 300mm 2.8(new)
have a "smidge" of movement and have not seen any effect from it.

I @ M
21-07-2010, 6:13pm
Yep, a bit of slop in the mount is somewhere near normal.

Actually, the easiest way to get rid of any movement is to buy one of the Nikkor lenses with a plastic mount. They seem to have pretty well zero movement.

If you look at a few factors ---

It is Winter at the moment and metals are decidedly at their least expanded point at this time of year here in Vic.

Plastic with a bit of compressibility (is that a word?) takes up the slop on a metal mount when it is cold and also moulds to fit when the metal is warm.

See if you can perform a "rule of thumb measurement" of the movement and then compare it again in about mid January on a 40 degree day.

BUGSnBIRDS
21-07-2010, 9:15pm
Interesting comment re materials and temperatures.

Thanks everyone...sounds as if it's nothing to be too concerned about.:th3: