PDA

View Full Version : Newbie RAW problem

mumto2boys
20-07-2010, 1:27pm
Hi all

Up until today I have always shot in JPEG, but after reading lots of info on here in the past few days I deceided to shoot a few shots RAW and see how much extra post production scope I had.

My camera is a Canon 450D and I am using Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 (but think I will get Photoshop Elements after all my reading on here :). My problem being that I cannot open the images - I get a message about it not being a supported format.

Can anyone help me?? I have RAW ticked in the File Associations tab.

Do I need a patch/upgrade or something? Sorry for my ignorance.

Michelle

kiwi
20-07-2010, 1:29pm
Yes, ou probably need to get a software update from PSP Photo, they should do this for free from their website really

RaoulIsidro
20-07-2010, 4:00pm
Your camera should have at least 2 disks with the bundle and one of them is the FREE software to read the RAW files called DPP (Digital Photo Professional).
Install this on your computer to be able to read and edit the RAW files and save them as TIFF or JPG's.
If you don't have the disks, borrow them from a friend who has a Canon DSLR.
Cheers!

mumto2boys
21-07-2010, 8:21am
Thanks guys - RaoulIsidro your solution worked.

If I go ahead and buy Photoshop Elements, will I be able to open then straight into that?

hus
21-07-2010, 8:49am
I had the same problem with the paint shop pro X2, to solve the problem you need to update it from coral website for it to read CR2 canon raw files.
I also checked out photoshop elements but went back to X2

mumto2boys
21-07-2010, 9:38am
Thanks Hus - I am currently running version 12.01 and cannot see anything later on their website. Any chance you can tell me where to find the update I need?

Thanks in advance:th3:

hus
21-07-2010, 10:34am
Yeah it's a big update file (approx 44megs)
On your start menu go to Program files, then Coral Paint Shop Pro Photo X2, in there click on the Read Me file and when the webpage opens up click on Corel Knowledge Base.
When a new window opens up on the top right hand corner you'll see Patches and Updates click that and from there its pretty much easy process of selecting Full List of updates from the mid left side of the page. Then from the list Select Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 and .......bingo you got the update.

Good luck.......................:cool:

mumto2boys
21-07-2010, 10:37am
Thanks very much! Am at work at mo but will try when get home - much appreciated!

hus
21-07-2010, 10:40am
I dont think we are allowed to post links to other sites in the forum.

mumto2boys
21-07-2010, 10:52am
No probs - have had a look and think I have it now - cheers :)

RaoulIsidro
21-07-2010, 11:15am
Thanks guys - RaoulIsidro your solution worked.

If I go ahead and buy Photoshop Elements, will I be able to open then straight into that?

I'm not sure if PE8 can open RAW files, but you might try to save the RAW files you opened in DPP as JPG or TIFF and then continue working on them on PE8. Cheers!

fillum
21-07-2010, 11:31am
If I go ahead and buy Photoshop Elements, will I be able to open then straight into that?Adobe provides a 'plug-in' for Photoshop (PS) called Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) that does the raw conversion. When you open a raw file PS will recognise that it is a raw file and start ACR. You then do your raw adjustments and when finished that just click a button to open PS. It's fairly seamless. (I have an older version of Elements but assume it still works the same way). I can't remember if ACR comes with the Elements software but would assume that it does. If it doesn't you can download the latest ACR version from the Adobe site.

Note that you can download a free 30-day trial of PS and Elements from the Adobe site if you want to try before you buy.

Cheers.