PDA

View Full Version : flash help

osterly jim
20-07-2010, 1:24pm
can anyone help with use of fill in flash? I have tried but i'm having mixed results. Thanks

OzzieTraveller
20-07-2010, 1:54pm
G'day Jim

To answer you better, I/we may need more info from you as to what you are doing & how you are using your flash at the moment

For my fill-in flash (roughly) I will firstly shoot with 'normal' full flash, then check the image, before going into the flash menu and setting the flash power to (either) + flash or - flash depending upon the initial results
The +/- depends upon location (indoors/outdoors ... distance between flash to subject) etc etc

Dunno whether this helps or not - hopefully it's a start
Regards, Phil

mpot
20-07-2010, 11:11pm
can anyone help with use of fill in flash? I have tried but i'm having mixed results. Thanks

There's a lot of info out there on the web...but here's a 30 second version:

With Canon cameras, if in auto or P mode, the camera exposes at ~1/60 and uses the flash as the primary source of light.

If in Av or Tv mode, the camera exposes for ambient light, and uses the flash as fill light. You can then use exposure compensation to adjust ambient light exposure, and flash exposure compensation to adjust flash output.

In manual mode, you tell the camera the exposure.

(Note that I'm assuming you're triggering the flash in TTL mode, and not in manual mode)