PDA

View Full Version : einstein 640's/Alien Bees

evo
20-07-2010, 11:29am
Hi all, I'm particularly interested in the Einstein 640's. I currently have all Bowens type fittings for all my studio gear having switch from Elichrom a few years back so not so keen on getting a new system with it's own propriety style fittings for relectors/sofboxes etc.

Anyone have some of these light and can please tell me about the fittings?

Evo

evo
22-07-2010, 9:04am
so I assume no one has any alien bee's right?

jjphoto
22-07-2010, 9:22am
Hi all, I'm particularly interested in the Einstein 640's. I currently have all Bowens type fittings for all my studio gear having switch from Elichrom a few years back so not so keen on getting a new system with it's own propriety style fittings for relectors/sofboxes etc.

Anyone have some of these light and can please tell me about the fittings?

Evo

Alien Bees have only been available in Australia for less than a year so there certainly won't be very many people with them. No one in Aus has the Einstein because it's been held back until August or later and in the US they are still filling back orders from early in the year. Try a US forum (photography-on-the.net, small and studio flash sub forum (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)) where you will probably get a flood of feedback on the exact same question. Almost everyone in the US has an Alien Bee, or at least it seems that way based on their popularity there. Alien Bees and Einstein use the Balcar mount so maybe there is an adapter for your fittings to the Balcar mount so it might be worthwhile Googling that.

JJ

Raven
22-07-2010, 4:55pm
Can't tell you much about alien bees IRT the fittings so not sure if my reply helps, but I attended a workshop a little while ago and the photographer used ab's. I'm considering getting them because I liked the results and the ease of use :)

Assassin
25-07-2010, 7:30pm
I have a set of Viseco lights at the moment in my studio which are Bowens mount, extremely well fabricated, with a completely professional feel... but I need to get another set of lights, lighter ones for on the go type and will be ordering a set of these...

See link and watch the video.... these lights are fantastic. I like the fresnel lenses especially which means that you can zoom in and out and concentrate the light a lot more...

Check it out: Arri Lighting Equipment (http://www.lovegroveconsulting.com/arri.aspx)

They are not cheap, but I think they are probably the best lights around....

Sass

jjphoto
25-07-2010, 10:24pm
See link and watch the video.... these lights are fantastic. I like the fresnel lenses especially which means that you can zoom in and out and concentrate the light a lot more...

Check it out: Arri Lighting Equipment (http://www.lovegroveconsulting.com/arri.aspx)

They are not cheap, but I think they are probably the best lights around....

Sass

Tungsten or HMI lights don't compare to the flexibility of strobes. I've used Arris quite a bit and yeah, they are fine for products or anything where you can afford a relatively long exposure, but they are impractical for shooting people. They are movie light, not photographic lights. If you want fresnel lenses for stroobes then there are certainly brands out there that have them, such as Broncolor for one. Check out Bron prices, if you think Arris are expensive.

Actually, I think these strobes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwzTRAfwqo8&feature=player_embedded#!)are the best money can buy.

JJ

kiwi
25-07-2010, 10:40pm
Check out JM Tran's later threads

bigdazzler
27-07-2010, 10:57pm
Need to sell a kidney for Broncolors, and maybe your retinas too if you want portable power.

As for Einsteins, they have been delayed again ... PCB is saying August but Ill believe it when I see it.

evo
06-08-2010, 12:38pm
Thanks for the replys folks. Although the Einstein will be great, I'm thinking with an investment in "S" type studio flash, I should stick with that. I also have sourced a few digital heads from China that are very similar to the Hyundi's Dominic at Dragon Image sells...but way cheaper !! ;)

Evo

JM Tran
06-08-2010, 1:31pm
Thanks for the replys folks. Although the Einstein will be great, I'm thinking with an investment in "S" type studio flash, I should stick with that. I also have sourced a few digital heads from China that are very similar to the Hyundi's Dominic at Dragon Image sells...but way cheaper !! ;)

Evo

how much mate? Im in China next week for shoots and cannot wait to stock up on some cheap strobes lol

evo
06-08-2010, 6:00pm
how much mate? Im in China next week for shoots and cannot wait to stock up on some cheap strobes lol

around a grand USD for 2 x600w inc freight.

It's big place, lots of options for gear there. Any good contacts?

Evo

SRR33
09-08-2010, 4:43pm
Alien Bees have only been available in Australia for less than a year so there certainly won't be very many people with them. No one in Aus has the Einstein because it's been held back until August or later and in the US they are still filling back orders from early in the year. Try a US forum (photography-on-the.net, small and studio flash sub forum (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)) where you will probably get a flood of feedback on the exact same question. Almost everyone in the US has an Alien Bee, or at least it seems that way based on their popularity there. Alien Bees and Einstein use the Balcar mount so maybe there is an adapter for your fittings to the Balcar mount so it might be worthwhile Googling that.

JJ

+1

Doubt you will be getting einstien anytime soon. Im still waiting for my PLM!!!

yes i do have alien bees :)

JM Tran
14-08-2010, 11:55pm
around a grand USD for 2 x600w inc freight.

It's big place, lots of options for gear there. Any good contacts?

Evo

Im in Shanghai atm, went to Xinggao camera store its soooo awesome 6 levels of photo gear and 2nd hand too, found excellent Jinbei strobes of 500 and 600ws for $160 $210 each, so cheap!