PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss lenses in Australia

Jimbo
19-07-2010, 11:14pm
Hi all,

I'm considering buying the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/2, was wondering if anyone knew of local parallel importers that sell Zeiss? I've not been able to find any, so at the moment I think my best option is B&H Photo & Video in the US.

If anyone has any experience of this lens, I'd like to hear it? My biggest concern is that since my zoom lens already covers this focal length, my money could be better spent elsewhere.

Cheers, J.

kaiser
20-07-2010, 12:00am
Don't know any local guys but found this on searching eBay. Not sure if this works out cheaper than B&H

Digital REv eBay listing (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Carl-Zeiss-Distagon-T-35mm-f-2-0-ZE-35-F2-Canon-MIUQ-/300444896338?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item45f3e94c52)

Jimbo
20-07-2010, 12:10am
Yes, thanks that is cheaper - BH works out to a bit under $1300 and that's not accounting for duty and GST. It looks like DigitalRev dodgies their way around the duty/tax issue somehow. Cheers :)

ricktas
20-07-2010, 8:14am
DigitalRev have been around for years. They are one of the good E-bay stores. They also used to have an online shop as well as E-Bay, but I think they closed it down, cause E-Bay was getting them most of their business.

Jimbo
20-07-2010, 11:31am
Rick - thanks for the info, their pages seem very slick, stuff about warranties, quick delivery etc.

Very tempted.

Any thoughts on using a 35mm lens for landscape work? I'm sold on this lens for its optical qualities (fast, sharp, amazing colours), but my only issue is that it's not adding a new focal length for me. Obviously I'll use it for more than just landscapes (full body portraits, group shots, etc). My only other real option is the Canon 17-40, but I get the impression that it's lack of sharpness in the corners will leave me disappointed. I'd really like the 21mm Distagon, but it's out of reach for me financially...

DJT
21-07-2010, 9:30am
For what it's worth. I have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 on a crop sensor & much prefer to have my 35mm f/2 on the camera. So much so that I often wonder why I have the 17-50 until I need wider than 35. If I ever get an ultra wide then I will really struggle to justify having the 17-50 in my bag.