PDA

View Full Version : PS - Lightroom

Mircula
19-07-2010, 5:13pm
Hey,

i just got photoshop cs4. Before I was only using lightroom 3.

It seems that there are a lot of functions which are similar in these two programs.

I was wondering which of the adjustments you do in lightroom and which you go to ps to.

For instance all the basic adjustments in Lightroom. I am not sure at what point I should swap to PS, or if I should at all. Or is it better to use PS just for special adjustments for specific photos?

Would be really interested how you guys use these 2 programs in conjunction.

Cheers,

Mirc

etherial
19-07-2010, 5:29pm
I do 99% in Lightroom and only go to Photoshop if I have something specific to do that Lightroom can't.

dieselpower
20-07-2010, 1:17pm
I do 99% in Lightroom and only go to Photoshop if I have something specific to do that Lightroom can't.

Same here.

kiwi
20-07-2010, 1:21pm
For me it depends what I am doing, Id echo that I do as much in LR as I can then only take to PS if there are things that LR is not that good at and i need to use layers, some plug-ins that I like, add texr etc

Allann
20-07-2010, 2:17pm
Think of LR as PS for photographers. It does 99.9% of things a photographer requires during pp. PS is used when the artist needs to come out. Before people start to shout, I am generalizing.

I catalog and process all my images in LR to make them as close a documentary image as possible to what I saw. Then and only then, will I work on them further, sometimes in LR or I'll use PS to add textures, cloning, composites, etc. I also use other plug-ins like nik software which can also be started from LR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mircula
20-07-2010, 2:42pm
Very interesting. Thanks for the comments. I am just thinking if it is worse learning photoshop. It is sooo much to learn and would probably take a lot of time.

And 1% is not really much i guess.

On the other hand i would assume that most of the images who win any competitions for instance were somehow processed in ps, or?

kiwi
20-07-2010, 2:45pm
no, not at all

William
20-07-2010, 3:02pm
I'm the same, 99% Lightroom 3, And in CS5 (Photoshop) I like the new "Content Aware" feature for cleaning up the Image,Also if you want to add a Digital frame , No you don't have to have PS to win Comps :)

Mircula
21-07-2010, 7:12am
well fair enough, maybe i overrated the photoshop thing a bit. Should probably just stick to Lightroom and learn all its features instead of trying to to teach myself ps.

Thanks for the responses and would be interesting how other people use their lr and ps.....

Darinpix
27-07-2010, 3:06pm
I am in the minority here - I PS every image, generally to dodge and burn and adjust contrast levels and curve tweaks. I use LR to catalog and edit down, and also to batch apply colour corrections. I use a select few Totally Rad actions as well - subtly I hope!

I would kinda like to do more in LR, but I have been using PS for so long I have it customized exactly to my liking - almost everything has a tweakable action assigned to a function key.

LR is great for exporting images for print or web display though.

Mircula
30-07-2010, 4:16pm
Thank you for all the comments. very informative. I might not need to get into photoshop so much afterall :)

Any more comments would be great :) !

dt86vyss
30-07-2010, 5:53pm
Lightroom has been designed to "do it all". Now with the image noise reduction built in, i notice i never have the need for the PS software any more. LR3 is more than sufficient.

However, if you are looking at adding masks and layers to your images for effects such as lights, smoky scenes and foggy conditions then PS CS4 is great for all that.

jjhtt
03-10-2010, 6:04pm
been reading through the lightroom threads...and I'm torn...If one was to have the opportunity to purchase cs5 or lr3, what would one go for. I have cs2 installed, but it doesn't support NEF, so I was thinking about keeping it for the fun stuff and buying lightroom for the majority of PP, whats yer thoughts? I can get both programs at a student price...my degree finishes at the end of the year!

kiwi
03-10-2010, 7:47pm
Well, they are complimentary products. I do most of my work on lr but if I need to do cloning, masking, layers, text, composites, etc I use Photoshop

Lr can't do any of that really, but you may not need to either

jjhtt
03-10-2010, 8:26pm
thanks kiwi...think I might go ahead with lR and keep the old cs2 for playing..

kiwi
03-10-2010, 8:32pm
Yes

Yiu can trial lr3 for 90 days, see how you go without using cs2

Longshots
03-10-2010, 10:34pm
been reading through the lightroom threads...and I'm torn...If one was to have the opportunity to purchase cs5 or lr3, what would one go for. I have cs2 installed, but it doesn't support NEF, so I was thinking about keeping it for the fun stuff and buying lightroom for the majority of PP, whats yer thoughts? I can get both programs at a student price...my degree finishes at the end of the year!

Although not a Nikon user, CS2, if its a legit version, should be able to be updated to support NEF files ?

wolffman
07-10-2010, 11:31pm

Be careful dropping a lot of cash on Adobe products if your student days are coming to a close. They are very protective of their student licenses now and you may find that your license is only good for the period of time for which you hold the student ID. You will need to supply copies of your ID to Adobe and they will then issue you a product key code. You might want to look into that a little more.

LR3 trial is only for 30 days, I'm using it at the moment. Its pretty powerful and can do a lot of stuff pretty quickly. I get the impression that the guys using just PS can skin the same cat in a different way, but the layers and cloning stuff for PS is in a different league.
I'm getting a LR3 in a weeks time from a crowd in the states and its only around $250Au. Look for them on eBay.

jbee
08-10-2010, 7:02pm
Great thread

I have been torn on this issue too, Lightroom 3 is actually affordable but CS5 is affordable for Students and Pro Photographers who can make a living from it, ohh and teachers - lord only knows why they get a blanket discount as only a small% teach arts, but for the average guy in the street over $2k for software is insane.

My mind is made up finally after reading this thread, it's Lightroom 3 and what i save i can spend on other bits. :)

Thanks to all for a very informative discussion.

jjhtt
13-10-2010, 5:30pm
just spoke with adobe....license is valid for as long as you own the software.....happy days.

wolffman
13-10-2010, 8:09pm
happy days indeed. whats a years student fees? Probably worth going back to school just for the software savings!

jjhtt
14-10-2010, 2:30am
depends on how many units you can scam an advanced standing in lol... might need to consider both LR3 and CS5, too good a deal to pass up really.

jjhtt
16-10-2010, 11:14pm
$350 delivered for both! awesome :D I can now upgrade/update etc legit!

felixR
29-10-2010, 2:00am
Sorry didn't want to start a new thread, for those who upgraded LR from 2 to 3.. who here has found it slower (referring to pc/hardware performance)?