PDA

View Full Version : Timer Remote for Canon 400D

Astroman
19-07-2010, 11:27am
Hi all,

I am looking around for a Timer Remote, similar to the TC80N3 but for use with a Canon 400D. I tried getting one off EBAY from a company called Link-Delight, but after receiving the unit, it was found to be faulty so I returned it, and well, lets just say that it has been a rather unpleasant experience with them. (bought the unit back in late May, returned early June, and I still don't know whether it turned up.) It's a shame because it was exactly what I was after.

It looks like the TC80N3 but has the 2.5mm plug for the 400D.

So if anyone knows where to get one or even if there is a N3 to E3 adapter, that would certainly be of great help.

forjahwarrior
19-07-2010, 2:26pm
I know this won't be a great help, but I bought a cheap Chinese wireless shutter release for my 40D off ebay a fair while ago. It has been heaps of fun and I did save plenty on the Canon equivalent. After your experience, fair enough you don't want to go back though.

Mine doesn't have a screen display or timer like the TC80N3, so since you said you're looking for a "timer remote" I guess you wouldn't be interested. The only 'Chinese hiccup' I've had is when triggering high speed sequences (that involve me) with the remote: when I take my thumb off the remote trigger at the end of the sequence, the camera keeps firing off intermittently (which has made for some amusing shots as I run to the camera from 100m or so away to manually shut it off!).

What exactly do you need the timer for? Are you planning on leaving the camera somewhere you can't get to easily with the timer running (risky in my eyes, but maybe worth it in rare cases)? How tech do you need to get with it? I haven't tried it yet, but I was planning on simply improvising long 'timed' exposures in tandem with an alarm on my phone/watch etc :)

Astroman
19-07-2010, 3:37pm
The need is so I don't have to lug around my laptop to control the camera remotely. I am doing widefield Astro work which requires long exposures >5min and the 30sec limit off bulb mode just doesn't cut it. Also many times I have made timelapses which sometimes require a time limit in between shots, this is the main reason for the timer function of the remote.

mikec
19-07-2010, 4:41pm
Astroman check these guys out (http://www.micnova.com/EN/product/remote_control_system/timer_remote_control/mq_tc_series.html) they might be what you are after? I've seen them for sale at Camera House before. Haven't used them though so can't comment on build quality or anything.

EDIT: I actually just remembered DDP have them also, not too expensive either.

Astroman
19-07-2010, 7:05pm
Thanks Mike, Checked DDP prices, looks reasonable enough, might get them to test the unit prior to sending it out with written confirmation they had checked it, don't want to be bitten again. Will check locally too..

mpot
19-07-2010, 10:40pm
I am looking around for a Timer Remote, similar to the TC80N3 but for use with a Canon 400D. I tried getting one off EBAY from a company called Link-Delight, but after receiving the unit, it was found to be faulty so I returned it, and well, lets just say that it has been a rather unpleasant experience with them. (bought the unit back in late May, returned early June, and I still don't know whether it turned up.) It's a shame because it was exactly what I was after.

I have a Phottix Nikos (which I reviewed here (http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/gear/PhottixNikosDigitalTimerRemote.html)), and have been happy with it.
The build quality is very good, and functionality is also very good.

http://martybugs.net/blog/images/PhottixNikos_A03831_rotated_250.jpg (http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/gear/PhottixNikosDigitalTimerRemote.html)

They have multiple versions available - with cables to suit different cameras (400D uses an E3 connector, while Canon xxD and 5D use an E3 connector).

Astroman
19-07-2010, 11:06pm
Nice timer, I really like it, thanks for the link etc... Will raid the piggy bank I think...

Astroman
20-07-2010, 6:00pm
I have been in contact with Photographic Wholesalers and they have a timer remote in stock, I will be able to go next week to check it out... Thanks everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful.

The only reason I will go back to PW is they are local and I can just take the unit back to them without the wait. Beats waiting 2 months for something I have only tested, but never fully used....