PDA

View Full Version : RE-canon 70-200 lens F2.8 vrs F4

fairy bombs
18-07-2010, 7:35pm
Oh,no here we go again your thinking.yes there are major debates on POTN etc re this topic.

But no I am not wanting to start that debate here,regardless of which one is varient is owned,quality images are always a result.

My post is about the 70-200 F 2.8 non IS lens I own,I purchased it about 6 months ago,and find I hardly ever use it,as it is rather large and heavy and does not fit inti any of my kit bags,so spends all of its time in cupoard.

I am thinking of putting it up for a swap for a 70-200 IS F 4 or selling it to buy either F4 version.As I feel one of the F4 versions would be easier to carry about.

I cannot say a bad thing about the lens I currently have in regard to image quality,its amazingly crisp,I cannot see any CA,.

I am not going to be at all disapointed if I cannot sell or swap this lens,because of the outstanding images,but do feel its been wasted hardly been used.

Should I just get used to Lugging this F 2.8 or try for another?

kiwi
18-07-2010, 7:36pm
do you shoot at 2.8 ?

etherial
18-07-2010, 8:46pm
Well I have had both the f4 and the f2.8 IS, and I can honestly say the f4 which cost me only $650 was every bit as good as the f2.8IS (as far as I could tell anyway!). Yes it is lighter and cheaper which are a bonus. I upgraded to the 2.8IS for indoor work.

As Darren said, do you shoot at 2.8? If not, the f4 is a good option.

Another thing to consider is the f4 is a 67mm front element rather than 77, might effect you if you have filters you use on it.

LevinPhotography
18-07-2010, 9:41pm
Well I have had both the f4 and the f2.8 IS, and I can honestly say the f4 which cost me only $650 was every bit as good as the f2.8IS (as far as I could tell anyway!). Yes it is lighter and cheaper which are a bonus. I upgraded to the 2.8IS for indoor work.

As Darren said, do you shoot at 2.8? If not, the f4 is a good option.

Another thing to consider is the f4 is a 67mm front element rather than 77, might effect you if you have filters you use on it.

What length were you typically shooting at etherial?
Q: Is that essentially the qualifying factor for going IS? Looking at the f2.8IS but trying hard to justify the price..

etherial
18-07-2010, 9:55pm
I use it right through the focal length.

Yes IS can be useful to help with framing when shooting at long focal lengths but its prime purpose is for low light and low shutter speeds. IS will NOT help (other than framing) when you are using a fast shutter to spot motion (ie sports). Some (many?) even say to turn it off when shooting at 1/500 or faster.