PDA

View Full Version : Lens: to clean or not to clean

flake
16-07-2010, 11:37pm
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum and I am quite new in photography.

I bought my camera around a year ago and didn't put any filters on my two lenses due to lack of knowledge. Since then I have managed to put some dust and 'light' smudge on the lenses but I don't actually notice that it affect the picture quality.

Now that I have bought filters on both of them, should I clean my lenses? The reason I ask is because I am afraid that cleaning up lens will do some damage to it. And the fact that I don't notice any impact on the picture, I am not sure if I should clean it. Wondering if dust and smudge will eventually getting harder to clean if I leave it there for a long time.

Please advise. Thank you.

Kym
16-07-2010, 11:42pm
G'Day & Welcome - lets see some images in the main forums and have fun!

This explains it... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=24526

flake
17-07-2010, 12:08am
Hi Kym, thank you for your reply. I have read that post before I posted my question. But that post didn't say anything about whether I should clean my lens. But now as you pointed me to it, I take it you suggested me to clean my lenses?

Cheers,

Kym
17-07-2010, 12:11am
Yes! Its pretty simple.

Erin
18-07-2010, 2:29pm
Yes, clean your lenses. Leaving dirt and smudges and grease on them can damage the coatings just as much. Just make sure you get a decent cleaning kit (they are fairly inexpensive) and tread lightly when wiping.

wideangle
18-07-2010, 4:02pm
In the future put a filter on if you are worried so then you don't ever have to clean your lenses. If you don't want to use filters then clean them only every now and again, as constant cleaning can ruin the optical surfaces. There is always going to be dust floating around on your lenses if you look close enough, but it's not going to come out on photographs. I have seen someone (cannot remember the website) who proved the point by sticking a grain of rice on the lens and shooting with it - couldn't see it. Everything in moderation.

woofie
19-07-2010, 1:13pm
I only just started myself and read somewhere just get a UV filter for the lens I always use. When I start using more lens I'll put a UV filter on it to.

The only time the filter comes off is when am swapping to use a different filter which I only just purchased.

kiwi
19-07-2010, 1:23pm
In the future put a filter on if you are worried so then you don't ever have to clean your lenses. If you don't want to use filters then clean them only every now and again, as constant cleaning can ruin the optical surfaces. There is always going to be dust floating around on your lenses if you look close enough, but it's not going to come out on photographs. I have seen someone (cannot remember the website) who proved the point by sticking a grain of rice on the lens and shooting with it - couldn't see it. Everything in moderation.

But then you have to clean the UV filters ?

Can you substantiate the theory that "constant cleaning can ruin the optical surfaces" ?

Speedway
19-07-2010, 1:41pm
I used UV filters until I saw the damage caused to a lens by one breaking after a light knock. I prefer lens hoods for protection and use a lens pen I keep in my pocket for cleaning when needed.