PDA

View Full Version : Expired Film

mitgonk
16-07-2010, 10:06pm
Was down in Ulla Dulla a couple weeks ago and took an old canon AE-1 with some 3/4 year old, expired b+w 400 film to try to get some interesting shots. Just got the photos' back yesterday, and I'm quite pleased with the results! Has anyone else used this camera or regularly use expired film for effect?

StanW
17-07-2010, 7:51am
I think a lot of us use expired film, always keeping in mind that it might not produce the quality that you want.
If you're processing your own work, it would be wise to bracket the exposurers, and, if you have a stock of that film, try extending the development time by about 20%.

ameerat42
17-07-2010, 9:56am
Usually, b/w expired film is OK. Color is another story. A roll of mine - a mere 7 yrs OOD, lost about 1 stop speed and the colour varied. And I know Ulladulla is a capital little place. Am.

mitgonk
19-07-2010, 1:13pm
Ulla Dulla was a very nice little place! was only there overnight, but would love to explore more of the sth coast of nsw!

would anyone know where to purchase more expired film?? just curious to see what they turn out as!

Retro1
19-07-2010, 3:26pm
Hello there... Sadly it seems that many of us are currently using up stocked film kept in the fridge/freezer because it is so difficult to get hold of it these days... I mainly use transparency film which although past its use by date ( grin, aren't many of us film users?) I still obtain acceptable images. Also, my cameras of choice are the Canon A1 and AE-1 Program models - never a day of trouble notwithstanding their ages. When it comes to servicing I recently sent 3 bodies to USA to get done - the total cost including transport was well below the current prices being asked here to do the same job. Yes, I know we should look after the local supply chain but, hey, not at the extortionist rates being asked for locally. Great gear which puts you in charge of the output! Enjoy!

Ray Heath
19-07-2010, 4:40pm
G'day mit
Great work, post some images.

OOD mono film is OK if stored reasonably well.

My all time favourite cameras, which I still use, though not as often as I'd like, are Canon AE-1 Program and A1. Great cameras, never a problem even though they are all way over due for maintenance.

TOM
19-07-2010, 7:57pm
agree, b&w film is foregiving, although most film can be used well past used by with proper storage.

Retro, Hoffy and I have made some bulk film purchases, and will do so again. If you are interested in jumping on board, send me a PM. Any film you want, not a problem (just don't ask for Polaroid :))

Athiril
29-07-2010, 5:41am
For b&w... overexpose it and reduce development time, you can use film even 50+ years or older with this method, separates exposure from any fog, and reduced development develops fog to a lower level or not at all, this also works with colour film if you do your own processing.

Michael Borel
29-07-2010, 9:55am
I have used expired (by only a couple of years, max) for both B/W and color transparcy (Velvia 50 120 roll, for shooting in a 617) as it was hard to get. However I kept them in the fridge.

Jorge Arguello
01-09-2010, 3:47pm
Hello:

I have used expired films several times because they were at very low price in the store. No issues at all.

GlennSan
04-09-2010, 11:52pm
I haven't used those models although I am familiar with them. If I remember correctly, the AE1 was current about the time I bought my First Nikon, a FM in 1979 or 1980.

Expired film? Sure, but not intentionally for effect. In film, I mostly shoot B&W and D&P myself but I do throw the odd colour roll through for fun. I recently put a roll of 2003 expired kodak film through my old Agfa Solinette folder just to see how well the lens on this old camera would handle colour (I'd only every put B&W through it previously) and it worked just fine. I didn't bother with any metering adjustment due to the age of the film because the shutter speeds were likely to be far more of an issue with regards to exposure then the film age.

As for sourcing? I haven't seen any recently but I bought quite a bit of expired or about-to-expire stock from Paxtons in Sydney when I lived there. They had a special box in their stores just for that purpose.

MattC
06-09-2010, 8:54am
I brought a few rolls of expired Agfa something or rather ISO 200 consumer film the other day - at $1 per roll, and 18 months overdue, the photos came out great.
Got a few rolls in the fridge - just have to work out how to get them processed cheaply though - at 11 times the cost of the film for processing, it is a bit too much!

clipper79
07-09-2010, 12:04pm
In general if film is kept really well, especially in a cool and dry place, like the fridge. It should be able to extend it's shelf life for another 6 months of even more. I have used film that has been expired for 2 years and it still works well. The film speed does affect it too. The higher the ASA (800-3200), the shorter the life. So if you have a higher ISO film, try not to store it for too long. Also like some has mentioned, B&W is also more forgiving. Hence, allowing you to keep it for a longer time.

But of course all the above does not apply if you are not a film hoarder and a constant film shooter.

mitgonk
07-09-2010, 12:28pm
chase jarvis mentioned using expired color film a while back on his blog site...

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/03/5-photoshoot-ideas-worth-stealing/

TOM
07-09-2010, 12:29pm
Yep, wouldn't advise shooting expired high speed like 1600 or 3200 past used by, no matter how it is stored (at least when consistent results are desired).

ricnak
07-09-2010, 7:55pm
The AE-1 was my first SLR many moons ago. Mine has travelled the world and is still going strong after 30 years.