PDA

View Full Version : 50D Question/s

mikew09
16-07-2010, 8:41pm
Just bought a 50D. In the manual it makes reference to the on/off switch and the position of this switch for the wheel.
So what is the different, I don't see any different in function between the on position and the wheel position which is the spot past on.
I assume it provides something different with the wheel actions but I haven't picked up on it yet.

???????? Mike

mikew09
16-07-2010, 9:33pm
OK, I have been trawling through the web, the on position disables the QCD from changing settings accidently such as aperture setting.
I have to tell you, I came across a couple of forums where this question was asked and man, those guys hocked in, saying they are sick lazy people not reading the manual etc.

Not a pretty sight. Oh well, hoping am not the only new to 50D dummy that had trouble working this out. :-)

britinozz
17-07-2010, 1:20pm
Good question i just got the Canon 50d as well and i was thinking the same.

mikew09
17-07-2010, 3:11pm
Good question i just got the Canon 50d as well and i was thinking the same.

Hi britinozz, we are not on our pat malone either with this question. Nothin definative except - stops the QCD changing the aperture setting accidentally.

Seems like a odd feature to me but who cares, I am very quickly liking the 50D very much.

The flash control over my 430EX II is much better compared to the 400D, I really like the feel of the 50D in my hand however, after a good play session today I did feel the effect of the extra weight and have not added the grip as yet.

I am also appreciating my crumpler (Industry Disgrace) camera strap with the extra weight expecially when the 70-200? is bolted on.

The images from this morning are razor sharp and great colour and depth without to much in camera work. I have to say that I do think owing the 400D was a good thing as it did assist the learning curve as I pushed that little fella to get the best shots I could. I certainly does seem a biteasier to get the same qulaity shots from the 50D with good glass. But there is a whole new learning curse to the use of this camera - it is a much bigger step up from my 400D than I expected.
Lovin it.
Hope you are having the same experience with your new kit.

Cheers,

Mike

mikew09
17-07-2010, 3:57pm
I have just discovered that my 2Gb cards that served me well in my 400D are now only holding around 105 shots in full raw on my 5D.
Hmmm, this is a problem as tomorrow I am taking photos for the AFTER Stardardbred association for their Games days - not a paying gig just something I do to support the group but at the last day I shot in excess of 300 images. So until I go and by my 8Gb Extreme cards ??? Is there any loss in image IQ if I step down the raw image size apart from reducing effective print size to A3-A4 as stated in the manual?

Mike

joele
17-07-2010, 4:15pm
OK to explain the two stage switch

when I use AV mode and I turn my 50d on but not in the wheel position the back wheel doesn't do anything at all when I am shooting..

when I use AV mode and turn my 50d on switch to the second position the back wheel is enabled and whilst shooting I can use it for quick access to exposure compensation.

So basically the wheel on switch just means it is on and the wheel is also enabled whilst shooting..

As to loss of IQ, well there will always be the possibility to lose quality reducing the amount of image data stored.. But if not printing large I would prefer to use the smaller RAW files than jpeg..

mikew09
17-07-2010, 6:18pm
OK to explain the two stage switch

when I use AV mode and I turn my 50d on but not in the wheel position the back wheel doesn't do anything at all when I am shooting..

when I use AV mode and turn my 50d on switch to the second position the back wheel is enabled and whilst shooting I can use it for quick access to exposure compensation.

So basically the wheel on switch just means it is on and the wheel is also enabled whilst shooting..

As to loss of IQ, well there will always be the possibility to lose quality reducing the amount of image data stored.. But if not printing large I would prefer to use the smaller RAW files than jpeg..

Thanks joele, I had a play with what you said and I understand now - thanks very much. Hmm, Well there is a chance someone might want a bigger print so I will just have to be mindful of space tomorrow. I have 2 x 2Gb & 1 x 1Gb card so should just get me through.

Thanks again.

twister
17-07-2010, 6:31pm
I found out the same as well lol...I was experimenting around with settings and wondered why the EV was not changing...then this workaround...

joele
17-07-2010, 10:50pm
no problem it is a good camera, enjoy it ;-)

twister
18-07-2010, 6:01am
Indeed! it's a massive speed bump from my 5-year old point-and-shoot S80 (which is still going strong)

mikew09
18-07-2010, 9:22am
Indeed! it's a massive speed bump from my 5-year old point-and-shoot S80 (which is still going strong)

Crikey!

britinozz
20-07-2010, 5:02pm
Hi
Yeh im loving my 50d im new to photography but im obsessed at the moment with knowledge about it all i have got a macro 100mm2.4 Canon and its awsum fun now saving for Canon 10-22mm wide angle for landscapes plus the nifty fifty 2.4 i think after reading about that seems to be the better option .

mikew09
20-07-2010, 5:56pm
Took some morning shot at a fav spot of mine today. Can't wait to get home upload tonigt. I have taken shots here before so be good to see the difference with the 50

Raptor Reptiles
21-07-2010, 11:12pm
There is a few things on you tube , i also down loaded a kelby traing on the 40d and 50d by Rick Salmon and some Magic lantern dvd guides on 50d from a fav site.