PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a 7D

Damien23
16-07-2010, 3:52pm
Hey all Just bought today a Canon 7D, read a bit about it, and seen some video reviews and i'm quite impressed.

Mod edit: sales must be in Classifieds

please tell me i have done a good thing in buying the 7D lol

Any other 7D owners and your opinions please.

Damo

mikew09
16-07-2010, 4:59pm
Really it's you that has to be happy with the purchase but over all I think the 7d is a very good purchase There is quite a number of very happy 7d users on this forum.

bigbikes
16-07-2010, 5:06pm
Damo.
Congratulations on the purchase of your new camera :th3: I'm sure you will enjoy it and will eventually be taking some great photos. I say eventually only because it took me a while to figure thing out and to set it up the way I wanted it. It is a fantastic camera but just takes a bit of getting used to.
Do yourself a favor and have a look at these.
:th3::th3::th3:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167&fromTips=1

Cheers

Scotty72
16-07-2010, 5:14pm
Hey,

I too (yesterday) bought a 7D as an update for a 40D.

Loving it so-far. Just trying to get used to all the different buttons. :Doh:

Scotty

bigbikes
16-07-2010, 5:17pm
Well done Scotty :th3::th3:

Damien23
16-07-2010, 7:20pm
Still amazes me what thing can do, the technology is great. Just learnt how to use the wireless E-TTL.

How good is that?

And the pic preview is much better than my 40D.

*removed, attempting to bypass site rules again - do it once more and you will be banned*

etherial
16-07-2010, 7:37pm
7D = Brilliant. You'll love it.

FallingHorse
16-07-2010, 7:59pm
I too will be purchasing a 7D within the next 4 weeks - really looking forward to it :) I am sure it will be another learning curve from my 1000D :)

kiwi
16-07-2010, 8:01pm
my condolences :p

Riverlander
16-07-2010, 8:31pm
Just learnt how to use the wireless E-TTL.

It is not wireless - it is infra red and needs line of sight. Runs my 3 speedlites very well.

Congratulations by the way -- great camera. I love mine.

joele
16-07-2010, 9:21pm
Congrats, I have been vaguely thinking about it myself as my fiancée wants my 50d, seems silly to just buy another 50d (though they are around $850 new now).. I know I *should* just save some money and buy her a second hand 30d/40d... Of course buying new toys is so tempting.. LOL

Now to your request, if your enjoying using it then you did the right thing, as that's all that matters ;-)

FallingHorse
16-07-2010, 9:24pm
my condolences :p

In 'Nikonese' this actually means - "I'm terribly sorry that I didn't buy a Canon" :lol:

Damien23
16-07-2010, 10:57pm
*removed, attempting to bypass site rules again - do it once more and you will be banned*

What is the moderators problem here?, like a concentration camp, I was not trying to bypass the rules it was a genuine question, how would you like me to re-phrase the question so im not bypassing the rules?

Kym
16-07-2010, 11:08pm
Simply, the rules say no classified access (i.e. selling) until 50 posts + 30 days members; plus current activity to be able to create a thread in Classifieds.
You kept talking about gear for sale - not on.
There are very good reasons for these rules.

Edit: Rick explained this in a PM

peterking
16-07-2010, 11:16pm
Hey Damien.
Owned my 7D for some months now. It was a big jump from a 350D so much to learn. Got some good advice from other members and am now very happy.
Enjoy it. It's a great toy.
As for the site rules. Sit back. Relax. Breathe deeply. And wait it out. Very well worth it.

Damien23
16-07-2010, 11:35pm
As for the site rules. Sit back. Relax. Breathe deeply. And wait it out. Very well worth it.

I did have classifieds section but as my wife was going through final stages of cancer i was not on as much as i use too, so i have lost that section now. No compassion from AP.

mpot
16-07-2010, 11:37pm
It is not wireless - it is infra red and needs line of sight. Runs my 3 speedlites very well.

Actually, infra-red is indeed a form of wireless communications - ie, no wires ;-)

etherial
16-07-2010, 11:40pm
... No compassion from AP.

I think that is an unfair remark.

Damien23
16-07-2010, 11:55pm
Actually, infra-red is indeed a form of wireless communications - ie, no wires ;-)

Thats what i was thinking lol

Riverlander
17-07-2010, 10:03am

I can't be bothered arguing with stupid statements like that, but if it were truly wireless as we all know it, then it would work outside the line of sight, and it does not. Sometimes this is a bit of a nuisance.

Scotty72
17-07-2010, 10:25am
I can't be bothered arguing with stupid statements like that, but if it were truly wireless as we all know it, then it would work outside the line of sight, and it does not. Sometimes this is a bit of a nuisance.

I agree . I guess we could argue that a simple, face to face conversation is 'wireless' too.

I did have classifieds section but as my wife was going through final stages of cancer i was not on as much as i use too, so i have lost that section now. No compassion from AP.

Firstly, my condolences.

However, I do think this is a particularly unfair, emotion laden comment that paints the mods as monsters (which they might well be - :)).

Did you explain this situation to them? If you did, and they are being hard-lined then I would possibly agree that compassion is lacking. Then again, rules may well be rules and they get all sorts of attempts to by-pass them.

If you didn't, then what did you expect of them.

Finally, and frankly, though I am sure you did not mean it this way, it does sound kind of goulish to link your wife's battle with cancer (and you hinted at her passing) with the sale of a camera.

Once again, my sincere condolences for your loss to that hideous disease (I am sure nearly all of us can relate to it as, it leaves almost all of us untouched) but, to paint the AP mods as monsters (even if by inference) over this matter, IMO, crossed a line.

Scotty

MarkChap
17-07-2010, 11:01am
I agree . I guess we could argue that a simple, face to face conversation is 'wireless' too.

Firstly, my condolences.

However, I do think this is a particularly unfair, emotion laden comment that paints the mods as monsters (which they might well be - :)).

Did you explain this situation to them? If you did, and they are being hard-lined then I would possibly agree that compassion is lacking. Then again, rules may well be rules and they get all sorts of attempts to by-pass them.

If you didn't, then what did you expect of them.

Finally, and frankly, though I am sure you did not mean it this way, it does sound kind of goulish to link your wife's battle with cancer (and you hinted at her passing) with the sale of a camera.

Once again, my sincere condolences for your loss to that hideous disease (I am sure nearly all of us can relate to it as, it leaves almost all of us untouched) but, to paint the AP mods as monsters (even if by inference) over this matter, IMO, crossed a line.

Scotty

Couldn't have put better

Damien23
17-07-2010, 12:56pm
Anyway Im over it, its not the point of me just selling, I just went out and bought a new manfrotto and new canon lens, now that I can see the classified ads there are people there selling those things which I could have bought off them. So they prob lost a quick sale too.

It should be like it is now, you are able to see it, but cant post which is fair enough. Buy doing that your making it better for atleast the regulars to help them sell their gear.

anyways back to a canon question.

Damien23
17-07-2010, 12:58pm
It is not wireless - it is infra red and needs line of sight. Runs my 3 speedlites very well..

In saying this to register the Speedlight you have to mount it on the SLR then activate the wireless option, do you need to repeat this process for any other speedlites you want as slaves also?

MarkChap
17-07-2010, 12:58pm
Just let it go

Riverlander
17-07-2010, 1:02pm
You do not mount the speedlight/s on the camera. You place them (I have used 3 at once) where you want them (within limitations) and then do the "set up" in the camera menu.
To use them you need to have the onboard flash open.

It is fairly easy to follow with the book in hand.

Damien23
17-07-2010, 1:28pm
Ah ok, i watched a you tube clip which showed them mount it on then activate it, i will go to the book lol thanks.

Damien23
17-07-2010, 1:56pm
So what are other features that 7D owners love?

etherial
17-07-2010, 2:02pm
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=60909

Damien23
18-07-2010, 7:33am
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=60909

Thanks for that.

Gregned
19-07-2010, 12:19pm
I bought the 7D because of the 8FPS next is the 70-200 2.8 IS (gen II) lens cannon but may be swayed to sigma.

Damien23
19-07-2010, 6:47pm
The Gen II is a ludicrous price though, big $$$$$