PDA

View Full Version : Value-Money wide angle

Mircula
16-07-2010, 11:07am
Hey,

could you give me some advice in what is a good value for money wide angle lens?(For Canon 20D)

I am looking for something cheapish but still with reasonable quality.

It seems that nearly all wide angle lenses are $500+

I dont really mind if it is prime or zoom, but should be under 20mm if prime.

Cheers,

Mirc

Riverlander
16-07-2010, 11:43am
Cheapish but with reasonable quality..... mmmmm sounds like wishfull thinking to me.

Probably the cheapest good one is the Sigma 10-20 and that will cost about $750

RaoulIsidro
16-07-2010, 12:37pm
If you will ask me, my first two choices would be:
Tokina 12-24mm f4 constant aperture
Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5
The extra $ will be well worth it.
Cheers.;)

kwokask
16-07-2010, 1:15pm
Best value (and probably cheapest) is the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 (not the f/3.5 which is quite pricey). If you are going to be using it for landscapes the smaller aperture is not too much of a problem since you will be stopping down.

R1titan
16-07-2010, 4:00pm
Best value (and probably cheapest) is the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 (not the f/3.5 which is quite pricey). If you are going to be using it for landscapes the smaller aperture is not too much of a problem since you will be stopping down.

Agree with the above, although a touch soft in the cnrs.
I recently sold a used one for $400, the price has dropped since the release of the faster update and 8-16mm.

fairy bombs
16-07-2010, 7:44pm
R1titan-is the 8-16 a sigma lens?I would like to get a wide angle lens,My first choice is a canon one mentioned above,but there not cheap-almost a K from DDP,I saw a second hand one for $700 in Aust,which may have been a resonable price.

draco
16-07-2010, 8:33pm
I recently sold a used one for $400, the price has dropped since the release of the faster update and 8-16mm.

how did I miss this one?!!! :Doh::Doh::Doh:

bort
16-07-2010, 10:05pm
I've never even heard of the brand - but, by coincidence, I just had an email from bhphoto about a new affordable wide angle.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/698923-REG/Bower_SLY14MMF28C_14mm_f_2_8_Ultra_Wide.html

No idea about its performance, just throwing it out there :-)

Watchamacallit
17-07-2010, 2:04am
I think most people will vote the sigma 10-20mm, but I'm no expert on Canon gear so can't answer whether it AFs or not on a 20D body, could have a huge influence on the glass you pick. The Tokina 11-16mm won't AF on a D60 for instance.

I @ M
17-07-2010, 7:11am
I've never even heard of the brand - but, by coincidence, I just had an email from bhphoto about a new affordable wide angle.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/698923-REG/Bower_SLY14MMF28C_14mm_f_2_8_Ultra_Wide.html

No idea about its performance, just throwing it out there :-)

Marketed in a lot of the world as a Samyang, going by the reviews it is a very capable lens.
Not that it would be a handicap for landscapes, it is a manual focus lens.

Reviews on Canon APSC and full frame at ---

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/533-samyang14f28eosapsc

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/532-samyang14f28eosff

The factory sell them direct on ebay (http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=samyang+14mm&_sacat=0&_dmpt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&_odkw=samyang&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313)

bigdazzler
17-07-2010, 8:37am

+1 .. :th3:

bort
17-07-2010, 11:11am
Not that it would be a handicap for landscapes, it is a manual focus lens.

Manual only - interesting

Had a quick look at the review link - a major disadvantage would be the fact that it cant take a filter because of the bulb shape of the front element.

I think most people will vote the sigma 10-20mm, but I'm no expert on Canon gear so can't answer whether it AFs or not on a 20D body

No problem there, I've used it on my 20d

R1titan
17-07-2010, 12:10pm
R1titan-is the 8-16 a sigma lens?I would like to get a wide angle lens,My first choice is a canon one mentioned above,but there not cheap-almost a K from DDP,I saw a second hand one for $700 in Aust,which may have been a resonable price.

Yes, 8-16mm is the latest release Sigma UWA for APS-C sized sensors.
Widest rectilinear lens for crop and sharp too.

how did I miss this one?!!! :Doh::Doh::Doh:

cos i sold it elsewhere, lol
They are quite popular so u shouldnt have much trouble picking up a used bargain.

Regnis
17-07-2010, 12:13pm
sigma 10-20 should be able to pick one up for around $400. It is a great lens

Mircula
17-07-2010, 8:10pm
Thank you for all your responses!!!!

Will see how i go.

Considering just to sell my 28-105 and getting a kit lens 17- .... Then i dont need to spend another 400 on a wide angle...

Good to have an overview of the wide angles though!

Cheers.

arthurking83
18-07-2010, 1:16pm

I think it all depends on how you use it.

mine is good to me:

A corner crop(5mm from the very edge of the top RH corner) cropped at 100% view, saved from 1038 down to 1024 pixels, and then saved at 75% quality to keep within the 250kb limit.
Aperture used was something like f/20, so some diffraction is evident, and I think approx f/8 yields about the best sharpness/contrast detail, if absolute corner performance is paramount.
no in camera sharpening done(as it's too coarse, or unrefined) so USM is used in PP.
That involves; USM figures of 55,4,4 in CaptureNX2's USM tool.. how that translates to other software is beyond my level of understaning.

This small patch of grass part of the scene is basically insignificant in overall terms to the entire scene tho.
Whilst the IQ is not in the full on professional league, for a $400 lens, it's bloody damned good to freaking excellent!! :th3:
This part of the grass is about 40cm from the front element, and I think with this lens not exactly ideal, as it's appears to produce better sharpness results when the subject is a little further away.

R1titan
18-07-2010, 5:13pm
I think it all depends on how you use it.

mine is good to me:

A corner crop(5mm from the very edge of the top RH corner) cropped at 100% view, saved from 1038 down to 1024 pixels, and then saved at 75% quality to keep within the 250kb limit.
Aperture used was something like f/20, so some diffraction is evident, and I think approx f/8 yields about the best sharpness/contrast detail, if absolute corner performance is paramount.
no in camera sharpening done(as it's too coarse, or unrefined) so USM is used in PP.
That involves; USM figures of 55,4,4 in CaptureNX2's USM tool.. how that translates to other software is beyond my level of understaning.

This small patch of grass part of the scene is basically insignificant in overall terms to the entire scene tho.
Whilst the IQ is not in the full on professional league, for a $400 lens, it's bloody damned good to freaking excellent!! :th3:
This part of the grass is about 40cm from the front element, and I think with this lens not exactly ideal, as it's appears to produce better sharpness results when the subject is a little further away.

I agree with your point on value :beer_mug:
f20ish!! my understanding is that diffraction occurs beyond f8 on APS-C sized sensors. The circle of confusion, lol