PDA

View Full Version : Another what lens should I buy thread.

jdbb
15-07-2010, 8:22pm
I'd like some advice on a couple of new lens's I've been looking for.

Macro has always interested me and the Canon 100 EF f2.8L IS USM seems to stand out as one to consider.

I would also like a wider lens - I've looked at the Canon 17-40 EF f/4L USM but it's not that much wider than what I already have.

What other options to either of the above should I consider given that at some stage I would also like a full frame camera?

regards

John

James Axford
15-07-2010, 9:24pm
What's your interests? Just macro right now?
All depends on what you like shooting?

The 100 is a very nice lens and is on my list too.
Plan to do some macro as well as some portraits with it. Might take it along in my travels.

Seems like a good choice to me

mpot
16-07-2010, 11:29pm
Macro has always interested me and the Canon 100 EF f2.8L IS USM seems to stand out as one to consider.
If you want a cheaper option, look at the older EF 100mm f/2.8 non-IS version - it's still a fantastic lens!

I would also like a wider lens - I've looked at the Canon 17-40 EF f/4L USM but it's not that much wider than what I already have.
You can't go past the Canon EF 10-22mm lens - 10mm on a crop body like yours works very well!

joele
17-07-2010, 12:41am
If you are only using it for macro then the older EF 100/2.8 might be more practical too. IS isn't very effective at macro focusing distances in my experience, and I am very happy with the quality of the non L 100mm macro..

jdbb
17-07-2010, 8:29am
Thanks for the replies.

My current interests are landscape, birds and planes. And I think the macro shots some people come up with are nothing short of amazing. I'd like to learn how to do that and will have plenty of time when I retire in a couple of years. I'm trying to get my gear set up now while I'm still working.

Once retired we will spend a lot of time in outback areas and the deserts living in our caravan.

I'll do a bit of research on the lens' suggested and let you know how I go.

regards

John

bigdazzler
17-07-2010, 8:32am
Wont comment on the macro gear cause its not my thing.

For the wide though, considering you want to go FF down the road, there is the 16-35L, or if you want to go super wide the Sigma 12-24.

Regnis
17-07-2010, 12:31pm
I think the sigma 10-20 is a great lens, that is if you don't have just a full frame camera.

In terms of macro there are good third party lenses as well as the canon 100