PDA

View Full Version : Curves : Learn how to use the Curves Adjustment Layer

ricktas
15-07-2010, 12:24pm
Curves are an extremely powerful editing tool in photoshop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORM6AZY19pw

ricnak
10-08-2010, 4:40pm
Thought I'd have a go at adjusting some curves after watching the great tutorial.

All is well until I get the curves box onto the screen. It is ontop of my picture. I can't use the eyedropper thing in the area I would like to. Is there any way to move the curves box to another place on the screen?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Helen

William
10-08-2010, 5:34pm
Helen, If the editing progam your using is PS , Just click on the box and move it out of the way :)

ricktas
10-08-2010, 5:38pm
Click and drag the header bar of the box, to move it.

ricnak
11-08-2010, 10:34am
That did the trick.

Thanks.

solace
12-08-2010, 4:17pm
Thanks, I found that an extremely useful tutorial

Taxxy
12-08-2010, 9:15pm
Good viewing!

elyshiamadison
20-09-2010, 9:44am
Thank you! I'm self taught in PS and I'd given up on Curves a while ago..... I think I'll give them another go now, the flat spot explains my main problem I think.. and trying to make adjustments that were too big a change!

Ricktas... you did an adjustment to another members wedding photo's - that made me search out curves again.... really made a snap shot into something that actually popped and was vibrant. Thank you

Perfectoarts
26-09-2010, 6:34pm
A great refresher and definitely will be using curves a bit more now :)
Many thanks. Ingrid

Lox
12-02-2011, 4:05pm
Awesome, thanks Rick. :)

Tikira
12-02-2011, 5:38pm
Thanks Rick. Always good to get information. We have elements 8 and whilst it isn't exactly the same it does still have a curves area and the explanation in the video was useful.

Wayne

Ken
03-05-2011, 9:50pm
thanks for the tutorial

Fedgrub
09-05-2011, 2:13pm
Nice one. I've been doing a photography unit at uni that has done a lot with curves, this helps simplify it.

Geoff79
06-07-2011, 7:47pm
Good tutorial. Got a better understanding of what that box is all about now. Having a test run, though... it still takes quite a bit of work. The tutorial made it look super basic , but I seem to lose clarity in the image super quick if I make any significant movements on the line. If I click in the sky the darkening of that point on the line doesn't seem to just apply to the sky. Same with a click in the foreground. If I click there, when I lighten it up it doesn't seem to just effect the foreground alone... like it seemed to do in the tutorial.

Still, even the simple fact of pointing on the photo and holding Control to get your points is something I didn't know. It is very useful, I just hope I'm not that much of a clown that I can't utilise it. :D

Elvie
10-09-2011, 4:07pm
This has been much needed information, have been struggling with curves now for a while many thanks Rick. Elvie

RubyKatz
15-07-2012, 5:08pm
This is a great tutorial on curves. I happened upon them along time ago when I did a one day course in a class room and they were using Photoshop essentials. You have reminded me of how useful they can be! Thanks. :)