PDA

View Full Version : Blog / Website Help

Sandi
14-07-2010, 8:28am
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm looking at putting a portfolio together & not sure where the best place is to start. Is Wordpress the best for website / blogging?

And also, as a photographer - is it a *must* to blog? All my photographer friends seem to blog & if I look around the www, I see most photographers have a blog. LOL, I guess I'm probably answering my own question here.

ricktas
14-07-2010, 8:39am
I don't blog and don't read blogs. I really do not care if a photographer I may want to pay to take photos of my family is dealing with a screaming baby this morning, or is off to visit friends this coming weekend etc. I want to see photos, and the quality of them.

If I was looking for a photographer to shoot something for me, their work is what I want to see.

Analog6
14-07-2010, 8:48am
Well, I use the blog to display my work as I take it, not for personal stuff. It is a photography blog first and foremost. I think they are useful in showing the development of one's work and ideas. But I'd advise you to keep it photographic, if you want a personal blog put that stuff somewhere else.

dche5390
16-07-2010, 6:49pm
I think Rick is missing the point of certain photo blogs. In this technology age where it is so easy to contact someone over the phone or internet, the personal touch is missing in business.

I can assure you, in the wedding arena, a lot of brides to be scour the web for blog sites to get to know their potential photographer.

A good photoblog is not a verbal rant of a blog. It contains insightful photographs that define the photographer's character. It represents their life experiences and what their views on life are. And most importantly, it fills the void that is lacking in internet acquired business.

I personally use wordpress because it is a well established CMS. It is user friendly and there is lots of support if you're willing to find it. However, it is important to remind yourself of the purpose of your blog. Is it to show off your portfolio? Or does it serve another purpose? What ever your purpose/reason, remember to stick to it and not deviate too far as then you will lose focus. A good blog will get your clients. A bad blog will get no clients, and not even a visitor.

Many a professional photographer have adopted a blogging element in addition to their business front website. Times change, and with it, the way one conducts business. It is not the only way, but if you can pull it off well, then you're doing well.

I will be building the business front website soon. On that, will be my portfolio. The blog will continue to update my subscribers of what I've been up to.

Wordpress has gradual learning curve. Find a theme to your liking to you're set to go. Otherwise, there are professional services such as prophoto that have customisable themes. I tried them out but found it more of a hassle. But I've seen quite a few successful photographers use prophoto's product.

The key thing to remember is, if you are not a fluid writer, blogging may not be for you. But with practice, comes perfection.

All the best.

keith-killer
16-07-2010, 7:30pm
I don't have time to read blogs... well hardly ever. There are some good ones out. If I do, I want to read about how the photo was taken. A customer/clinet my well want to get to know the photographer as mentioned above.

The only blog I know off hand I read is for Ross Halfin as he is I guess the master of taking photos of rock/metal bands (which I do to some degree) and he often photographs guys I know, so it is fun to read. He is dry though! And Cranky... well he is British!

dche5390
16-07-2010, 7:53pm
Keep in mind who the audience is. We may not find blogs appealing or have the time to read other people's photo blogs, but your clientele may. Similar to how we are so critical of technical aspects of an exposure, if the client likes who, who is to disagree?

kiwi
16-07-2010, 8:03pm
facebook i think's taken over blogs

I think blogs are naff, often stale, often pretentious

Its up to you how best to reach your audience

yarnella
16-07-2010, 8:13pm
Have a look at http://www.webs.com. You can set up a free web site to display your images. And if you want you can also include a blog.

ricktas
16-07-2010, 8:25pm
I think Rick is missing the point of certain photo blogs. In this technology age where it is so easy to contact someone over the phone or internet, the personal touch is missing in business.

I can assure you, in the wedding arena, a lot of brides to be scour the web for blog sites to get to know their potential photographer.

A good photoblog is not a verbal rant of a blog. It contains insightful photographs that define the photographer's character. It represents their life experiences and what their views on life are. And most importantly, it fills the void that is lacking in internet acquired business.

Maybe I need to revisit some and re-assess my views. Certainly in the past those i visited tended to be more about the photographers personal lives, than about their businesses. So I tended to look for their photography website, rather than their blog. I have noticed a trend though to for many to have a website, with a blog component. This method works for me. I look at their site and galleries and tend to ignore their blog menu item.

kiwi
16-07-2010, 8:29pm
For SEO purposes too a website, linking to a blog (if you must) is a good idea (as per podcast I listened too)

Nina
16-07-2010, 9:36pm
Hi Sandi,
I started out with wordpress blog and they are easy to use as in uploading photos. Do you have your own domain name or have access to your bit of www. As you can use a wordpress template for your own ww.sandiphotos.com/blog instead of having the wordpress.com at the end. There are plenty of templates to choose from.
The photographer blogs that I stalk are not personal they are there to show their latest work, some use it as a quick preview for the client. Personally I have found it is easy to upload 4 or more photos to a blog rather than to a website.

dche5390
16-07-2010, 10:19pm
Maybe I need to revisit some and re-assess my views. Certainly in the past those i visited tended to be more about the photographers personal lives, than about their businesses. So I tended to look for their photography website, rather than their blog. I have noticed a trend though to for many to have a website, with a blog component. This method works for me. I look at their site and galleries and tend to ignore their blog menu item.

You're right however. There have been historically a lot of irrelevant blogs out there. It is a personal challenge for me to keep my photography orientated as opposed to rantings and boring fluff.

It is managing the content so that it provides insight into the photographer's life and also captures their skill as a photographer.

The trap with blogs is keeping it alive. One has to be very actively taking photos and posting interesting ones (for the intended audience) for it to be worthwhile. If one has difficulty expressing their thoughts and ideas through words, then blogging is going to be a tough tough road. It may be easier with a website front with photos only showcased in a slideshow or whatever.

ClaireN
18-07-2010, 7:07pm
I started out with wordpress blog and they are easy to use as in uploading photos. Do you have your own domain name or have access to your bit of www. As you can use a wordpress template for your own ww.sandiphotos.com/blog instead of having the wordpress.com at the end. There are plenty of templates to choose from.
The photographer blogs that I stalk are not personal they are there to show their latest work, some use it as a quick preview for the client. Personally I have found it is easy to upload 4 or more photos to a blog rather than to a website.

I too use a WordPress blog as my website, re-directed from my domain name. I also only use it for photography based news like recent projects, clients exhibitions, previews etc. Good luck with it.

Xenedis
18-07-2010, 7:24pm
Well, I use the blog to display my work as I take it, not for personal stuff. It is a photography blog first and foremost. I think they are useful in showing the development of one's work and ideas. But I'd advise you to keep it photographic, if you want a personal blog put that stuff somewhere else.

Excellent advice, and it's the same approach I take, with the exception that I don't keep a personal blog.

I tried blogging years ago and found it wasn't for me, but that's because it didn't have a purpose.

I started my photography blog last month, and it's dedicated to my photography, and I see it as my verbal outlet for a visual medium. I use it for providing advice, post-processing tutorials, details about gear, techniques and anything else I consider interesting or useful in the field of photography.

Stuff along the lines of "Had a crappy day at work today" isn't for me.

Xenedis
18-07-2010, 7:35pm
I want to see photos, and the quality of them.

While I have a gallery, I do present my images on my blog as well, but mostly in the context of explaining what went into the image (either at the capture phase, post-production phase, or both) rather than "here's an image I really like".

Sandi might like to look at my thread about starting a photography blog (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=59902) to see why I decided to do so, and the approach I've taken, plus the advice offered by other people.

SRR33
19-07-2010, 11:33am

I personally use wordpress because it is a well established CMS. It is user friendly and there is lots of support if you're willing to find it. However, it is important to remind yourself of the purpose of your blog. Is it to show off your portfolio? Or does it serve another purpose? What ever your purpose/reason, remember to stick to it and not deviate too far as then you will lose focus. A good blog will get your clients. A bad blog will get no clients, and not even a visitor.

Many a professional photographer have adopted a blogging element in addition to their business front website. Times change, and with it, the way one conducts business. It is not the only way, but if you can pull it off well, then you're doing well.

I will be building the business front website soon. On that, will be my portfolio. The blog will continue to update my subscribers of what I've been up to.

Wordpress has gradual learning curve. Find a theme to your liking to you're set to go. Otherwise, there are professional services such as prophoto that have customisable themes. I tried them out but found it more of a hassle. But I've seen quite a few successful photographers use prophoto's product.

The key thing to remember is, if you are not a fluid writer, blogging may not be for you. But with practice, comes perfection.

All the best.

100% agree to this. Rick i think you are deff missing the point. Maybe you have seen amature photographer blogs (in that case i dont want to hear about a screaming baby either).

All the top photographers in america use blogs. They get thousands of views and comments!!

Check out jasmine star (very famous american photographer), or even the famous vibrant photography (here in sydney). Check out their blog and see for yourself.

Word-press is the way to go.

Erin
20-07-2010, 6:47pm
LOL As a blogger from way back, I definitely know why Rick would think they are useless. My rants and boring recaps are legendary amongst my friends. Having said that though, I think many photography blogs have matured. They are either interactive advertising (good) or business updates (bad/boring) or a real mix of personal/professional. It all depends on what you like to read and write.

Strobist started as just a blog, as did many other blogs which now have very high profiles.

I personally think business blogs, especially for photography, are worthwhile reading. Interaction with prospective clients is always good - providing it's done right.

Xenedis
20-07-2010, 6:53pm
Word-press is the way to go.

IMO, WordPress is a very good platform, and has the advantage in that you can host it at wordpress.com and take advantage of some extra features, or you can download the software, self-host on your site and customise it more.

The first time I used WordPress I self-hosted, but when I started my photography blog recently, I elected to host it on WordPress's servers instead.

Sandi
20-07-2010, 11:40pm
Thank you all so much for your replies. I've been looking at Blogger (Google blogs) but haven't set anything up yet. I don't have a photography domain as yet but will look into it. Am going to look at Wordpress & also site yarnella posted.

Thanks again.

SRR33
21-07-2010, 4:57pm
You will find wordpress to be very easy to install and add plugins/templates etc. There are literally 1000s of choices to choose from. Support is excellent also. You wont have any problems.

Nina
21-07-2010, 8:29pm
There was a stage there that a lot of photographers used blogger but jumped ship to wordpress.
I found if you link your wordpress up with your photography domain you have more options with the plugins in particular stopping people from right clicking your photos.
Wordpress support is good and if you find a good template some offer a support forum so if you run into any issues ask away.
This might be the same with blogger just not sure.

Sandi
22-07-2010, 8:31am
I think I'll go with Wordpress.

Now just to come up with a domain name:p

Error99
22-07-2010, 1:49pm
Have a look at http://www.webs.com. You can set up a free web site to display your images. And if you want you can also include a blog.

Yep, I'll second these guys.
I've seen some pretty reasonable sites from people using them.
The only downside is that the free sites have adverts onthem from "Webs" sponsors.
If you upgrade to a paid site which is a minimal cost you lose the ads.
From what I can work out, it looks pretty easy to use.

As for blogs, well personally I think they are a "woftam" (if you need to, google it)
This is a family show, so can't translate it.

However that is just my view on blogs (and I have the same opinion of facebook)

Darinpix
24-07-2010, 10:25am
Definitely go with Wordpress over Blogger. I, and a LOT of other pros use ProPhoto theme for Wordpress. It is extremely customisable, and geared entirely towards showing large images quickly It isn't free, but I think it is great value. There are a bunch of free, classy themes out there though - google "Wordpress photography theme" and you should find something you like. My blog is here (http://www.darincollisonphotography.com.au/wordpress/), if you want to get an idea.

Sandi
25-07-2010, 10:16am
Definitely go with Wordpress over Blogger. I, and a LOT of other pros use ProPhoto theme for Wordpress. It is extremely customisable, and geared entirely towards showing large images quickly It isn't free, but I think it is great value. There are a bunch of free, classy themes out there though - google "Wordpress photography theme" and you should find something you like. My blog is here (http://www.darincollisonphotography.com.au/wordpress/), if you want to get an idea.

Thanks for this. I love your site. I'll go have a look at that theme.